Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jsc1010)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-29-2011, 11:43 AM Reply   
I have the opportunity to purchase a 2004 malibu Sportster LX 20'
It has 98 hours on it and it belongs to my co-worker. He wants to get a pontoon boat as he is too old to ski! It has a wedge and a tower but I was wondering if anyone has this boat convirted to a wakeboarding boat or if anyone has taken a few sets behind one...How is the wake? Any suggestions welcome!
Oh and I would be purchasing it for one heck of a deal...A rediculous deal!
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-29-2011, 5:17 PM Reply   
I have a malibu response that is similar to a sunsetter which use to be a VLX, that throws out a great wake and I can surf behind, but the sportster is a bit smaller than my response, so I too would be interested in how the wake is I know that the price of a 99 sportster is around $11,000
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-29-2011, 6:59 PM Reply   
I saw a ton of Sportsters for sale when I was looking last year. My research on forums backed up what was pretty obvious when just looking at them. You can't put very much weight in them due to really low freeboard. I don't remember specific #s but I doubt it would be very safe with more than 1,200 lbs of people+gear+ballast weight in it. Someone here may have actual experience with the boat and can give more accurate first hand information on it.

It has the wedge though which is a plus since you won't be able to put much weight in it.

Also, those boats were under $30k MSRP when new which means people were probably getting them for $25k or less brand new. So, just be sure to evaluate the deal relative to the original price and NADA rather than comparing it to boats of similar vintage that may have been $20k more than this boat when new.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-30-2011, 6:52 AM Reply   
My Response was maxed out with the wedge and two sacks. It was slammed, and unsafe without skilled driving. It took that to get a somewhat large wake. It had a very nice shape, and was a clean wake. Very rideable, just small. The wake fully loaded was about the same as a small Vdrive unloaded. But it was a fun boat. That hull handles great, and almost go cart like.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-30-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
we used to call my buddys the submarine. dont get one imo