Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-08-2014, 10:14 AM Reply   
Hey there,

So I have a weird problem. I've noticed that when I empty the ski locker ballast tank in my xstar, I can still hear water dripping into the ski locker bag. I notice that when I close the input port at the back of the boat, I can no longer hear the water dripping into the tank. Anyways, I don't have this problem with the High Fly 750s that I have in the rear lockers. So I guess I have two questions:

#1 - how do I stop the water from coming into the ski locker bag when the pump is off. I'd like to be able to stop it from coming in without having to manually shut a valve everytime I finish using the boat.

#2 - since the rear ballast bags don't have this issue, there is obviously some valve or something that stops this water from coming in, and this has obviously failed on the ski locker ballast. Can anyone tell me what stops this water from coming in, or tell me how this works?

Thanks much!
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       06-08-2014, 10:29 AM Reply   
Is the bag on aerators or one reversible?
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-08-2014, 10:34 AM Reply   
Replace the impeller on the pump going to the ski locker.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-08-2014, 10:53 AM Reply   
If they're impeller pumps then the impeller is what keeps water out when the pumps aren't running. Replace the impeller with a new green one and it will probably stop. If you've got aerator pumps then there is probably no valve to prevent this. You need to install a vented loop on the fill line and get it high up in the hull:
http://www.wakemakers.com/vented-loop-anti-siphon.html

The reason the ski locker fills and not the others is because it's probably closer to or below the water line so a siphon effect gets started and then it just keeps going because of gravity drawing the water in.
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-08-2014, 11:00 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! Actually, after I posted this thread, I was thinking about the problem, and I figured it had to be something to do with the pump since there are no other values that I know of. Sooo... you guys have basically confirmed my suspicion! Thank you!

Yes, they are just impellers on the water pumps. Ive had to replace ones before when they wore out. Jeff, why a green one? Mine are black!

They aren't reversible pumps, just the standard impeller pump type of deal.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-08-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
If I recall correctly it's a goldilocks and the three bears story. The first gen ballast puppies had the black impellers. They were too hard and wore/burned out too often. The softened the compound and made the yellow impellers. These lasted longer but were too soft and often resulted in the above water tanks/bags leaking down when full and the below the water line tanks/bags filling up underway. Then they started using the green ones which were "just right".

I think I got all those colors vs hardness right. In short just get the green ones.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       06-08-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
Btw the "impeller pumps" and "reversible pumps" are generally the same thing.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-08-2014, 11:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
If I recall correctly it's a goldilocks and the three bears story. The first gen ballast puppies had the black impellers. They were too hard and wore/burned out too often. The softened the compound and made the yellow impellers. These lasted longer but were too soft and often resulted in the above water tanks/bags leaking down when full and the below the water line tanks/bags filling up underway. Then they started using the green ones which were "just right".

I think I got all those colors vs hardness right. In short just get the green ones.
Haha, I like this analogy ^^^