Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-15-2013, 10:07 PM Reply   
What is the best way to get better shots and video from the boat. I understand "better" is a technical term, but I find its incredibly annoying how wide of an angle it takes as at 75-80 feet the rider seems so distant in the pictures/videos.

Are people using settings to help with this or software afterward to correct for it?
Old     (Kemikal)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-16-2013, 12:11 PM Reply   
Gopro wasn't made for shooting at 60' distances. It's a point of view camera. Get a different camera or mount it to your handle with the handlebar mount.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-16-2013, 12:16 PM Reply   
gopro was made for Point Of View shots, not long distance
Old     (RonBurgundy)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-17-2013, 8:19 AM Reply   
I do appreciate the responses....but I posted the thread obviously already understanding. It's the easiest to use, smallest, waterproof way I know of.

Any better suggestions camera wise? (That aren't going to break the bank)
Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-17-2013, 11:06 AM Reply   
If you're looking for super cheap, something like http://www.amazon.com/Kodak-PlaySpor.../dp/B0030MITDK . I own one of these and use it. It's okay, but you have to work pretty hard to avoid shaky footage. I like the 60fps though.

If you want something a little better--like say with optical image stabilization for example--then you would buy the camera and a waterproof housing for it separately. Just as a random example http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...aterproof_case with http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...s/vixia_hf_m52 . I don't know anything about those two products specifically, so I'm not necessarily recommending them. I just grabbed a couple random links I could find quickly as an example.

Last edited by austin; 05-17-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old     (rcuadro)      Join Date: Nov 2012       05-17-2013, 1:40 PM Reply   
I am going to make something like this...
All I need is a tripod mount, some PVC piping, and a T fitting with a cap and a 1/4-20 screw to mount it. I have most of it done at home and I think I am going use a 4 foot section to have the camera about 4.5 feet away from the rider.

http://youtu.be/-QNVaRnZWmg
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-22-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I am going to make something like this...
All I need is a tripod mount, some PVC piping, and a T fitting with a cap and a 1/4-20 screw to mount it. I have most of it done at home and I think I am going use a 4 foot section to have the camera about 4.5 feet away from the rider.

http://youtu.be/-QNVaRnZWmg
I built a mount very similar to this. Word of warning: this only works well if the handle you are using is one of the hard triangle type (I think mostly claim to be carbon fiber). If your handle has soft or flexible sides to the triangle connecting the rope to the handle, the camera mount twists. Since the weight of the camera is on top and wants to swing down below, every time you jump or hit a bump there is a tendency for the camera to wobble (almost violently at times) side to side creating a large amount of camera shake. I think this would be corrected with a hard triangle handle as then there is a solid connection all the way from your handle to the gopro.

Also: build two safety mechanisms to protect from losing the camera. One, attach a gopro float and secure with a bead of aquaseal glue around the three sides away from the housing latch (be careful not to let any glue run into the seal). Two, add a hole near the camera mount where you can attach a leash. On my trial run I crashed hard enough it tore the gopro float off the 3m sticky pad. I got lucky that the tripod mount didn't break off as I didn't have a leash as backup.
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-22-2013, 2:11 PM Reply   
This is something i made up a couple days ago to be used this weekend for some filming and photo. My theory is that it will be more stable than a pole mount and hopefully easier to hang on to. I only have the silver edition but hope to have my remote mounted on it before the weekend. This will serve as the button for shooting photos...We shall see how it goes...cost me 10 bucks to make so if it sucks then oh well
Attached Images

Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-22-2013, 7:16 PM Reply   
Trying changing perspective with the GoPro for wakeboarding. I.E. melting to your head/helmet or having someone on a tub 5'-10' in front of you shooting you as you cross the wake.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-22-2013, 8:03 PM Reply   
We didn't just use a pipe around the rope in that video. That was the first prototype and it was made out of steel (yea I know it was heavy as hell but very easy to work with) There were tabs welded to the end of the steel tube coming off at the same angle as the handle triangle in order to keep the mount from rotating around. We got bored of it but just recently decided to re visit the project and created a similar design out of fiberglass. Extremely light, stronger than PVC and easier to take off and put on the rope/handle. We're going to entertain a few other ideas here in the next couple months. Ill keep you guys updated as these ideas will provide yet again another awesome and different view if they work
Old     (Orange)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-23-2013, 10:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
We didn't just use a pipe around the rope in that video. That was the first prototype and it was made out of steel (yea I know it was heavy as hell but very easy to work with) There were tabs welded to the end of the steel tube coming off at the same angle as the handle triangle in order to keep the mount from rotating around. We got bored of it but just recently decided to re visit the project and created a similar design out of fiberglass. Extremely light, stronger than PVC and easier to take off and put on the rope/handle. We're going to entertain a few other ideas here in the next couple months. Ill keep you guys updated as these ideas will provide yet again another awesome and different view if they work
I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see more about how to get a similar gopro mount. I made my own, but its got wy too much play / twist. I can't figure out how to secure it better so it moves only with the actual handle and not the flexible pieces that connect from each side of the handle to the rope.

It seems like somebody should be able to invent and sell a product that does this, but I guess the market is pret small.
Old     (Jibbo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-06-2013, 8:53 PM Reply   
Try a Wakeye WTG http://www.wakeye.com/collections/wa...cts/wakeye-wtg for filming with your GoPro from your a keyboard tower
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-12-2013, 10:45 PM Reply   
Here's a view from a suction cup mount on the stern.
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-22-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
I tried to make a mount that works on the rope so you can get the POV the camera was designed for. The video was made at a 10' away from the rider. Just trying to get more stability out of the setup right now but I like it..

Also trying it out on kickstarter looking for community feedback and interest.. let me know what you think..
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-23-2013, 10:21 AM Reply   
Brandon - How did you set up your rope mount?
Old     (tom351)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-24-2013, 9:18 AM Reply   
Shoot from a tube...or do the rope mount- both used in this video:
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-27-2013, 1:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenxteninc View Post
I tried to make a mount that works on the rope so you can get the POV the camera was designed for. The video was made at a 10' away from the rider. Just trying to get more stability out of the setup right now but I like it..

Also trying it out on kickstarter looking for community feedback and interest.. let me know what you think..
dude that thing made me sick watching it, the wobble is baaad.
Old     (Greeko)      Join Date: May 2013       12-06-2013, 4:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
dude that thing made me sick watching it, the wobble is baaad.
Pretty nice setup actually... You just need a bit more weight in your boat....Wake looks super small
Old     (zenxteninc)      Join Date: Oct 2013       12-26-2013, 4:46 PM Reply   
I dont have a boat so these are just folks willing to go out and test a new setup each time I get one.. Still looking to tune up the wobble, I like it much better than the PVC though because there is little to no small vibration in the video. There is the side to side but not the little shakes. Keep in mind the more stable it gets and the more fluid you are as a rider the better shots your going to get out of it. I dont know if it will ever provide a super 100% solid run for run each time you go out but it will definatly give you footage you cant get any other way. I have started pulling still frames out of the video, you never miss an action shot that way..

Since I do not have a boat I am looking for early adopters that would run it around and get footage/provide feedback with the setup. Message me for details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chhjJ0klG_U