Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-27-2015, 8:14 AM Reply   
I tried googling a bunch of different catch phrases and waiting to hear back from tech support so figured I'd post too see if anyone can direct me. So I have pretty good knowledge of MY stereo I installed in my boat but I'm helping my buddy install 1 in his pontoon and we got in going but am insure of the amp settings for his application. He has 4 Polk db 3 way 6x9's with 100rms and pairing them to ppi900.4 which is I believe 100 or 150rms. We have each 6x9 on it's own channel using 1 RCA and on stereo setting. So my question is the amp has a high pass,low pass,& full pass setting which one should it be on for these speakers. Also what htz is a "typical" starting point? When running on stereo hooked through the front I notice the rear adjustments still work so obviously front and rear channles should be identical. Also is there in any down side to running 1 RCA on stereo as opposed to 2 RCA's on 4 channel? Also I can't hear a difference in using the crossover buttons,do I set these and in what sequence?Thanks in advance
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       08-27-2015, 10:42 AM Reply   
Whether you sum the inputs from one pair of RCA's or use two pairs probably doesn't make a huge difference. if you've already got the RCA's run then might as well keep them and not sum the inputs.

Does he have a sub?

6x9's aren't really going to get you much more than a 6.5 and sometimes less because of excursion. That said, I've always heard that around 100hz is a good starting point for crossing over your speakers. I'd do high pass to keep the speakers from trying to produce the really low frequencies. Of course, that's why you have a sub...
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-28-2015, 7:54 AM Reply   
Switch to Hi pass
80hz-100hz
Both banks (pots) should be matched on everything.
You won't hear the difference on the crossover if the switch is on full.
It will work with one set of RCAs, two will give you a bit more input voltage...
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-28-2015, 8:41 AM Reply   
I called ppi and they said 6x9 is a full range speaker and since we aren't running a sub to put it on full pass which eliminates the cross overs and make any adjustments from the hu
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-28-2015, 8:42 AM Reply   
You guys disagree. The reason I asked because high oass sounded very flat where full sounded much more well rounded
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-28-2015, 8:48 AM Reply   
Yes, its a "full range" speaker, but absolutely disagree with their reasoning for running it FP.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-28-2015, 9:13 AM Reply   
So what's the difference between full and high pass?and what application is full pass meant for ?
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-28-2015, 10:58 AM Reply   
The filters are designed to attenuate in a slop from the designated hertz setting.. Those "full range" speakers have a better chance of longevity removing the bass they cannot reproduce efficiently or audibly...
You can run them however you want, running full will fatigue them faster over time and will sound a bit dirty when trying to reproduce two seperate signals ( bass and mid) off one driver.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       08-28-2015, 11:01 AM Reply   
Oh Kay. Gotchya
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-28-2015, 11:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
The reason I asked because high pass sounded very flat where full sounded much more well rounded
Your cross-over point is too high IMO.