Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mfenton)      Join Date: May 2009       08-10-2015, 8:38 PM Reply   
Upgraded to the 420BT from the old 420. Is there is possibly way to use the BT and still use the head unit remotes? Putting the 420 in BT mode disables my head unit. I have a transom remote and also one on the dash and would like use the BT feature with the remotes.

Thanks
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-11-2015, 4:56 AM Reply   
If you head-unit has an AUX in, you can go with the 420SQ and BTVC and integrate the BT to the head-unit, rather then downstream of the head-unit. Otherwise, when the EQ is in AUX or BT mode, the head-unit functions are out of the loop.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-11-2015, 5:08 AM Reply   
Plus you will get better range with the BTVC...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-11-2015, 5:10 AM Reply   
The BTVC still wont work with transom remote.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2015, 5:38 AM Reply   
Mike how is the range on your 420bt. Mine is so low if my wife uses the phone in the passenger seat and sets the phone down on her right side away from the head unit. It cut out, I thought this thing was suppose to have a 50 foot range but its more like 4 feet at the most.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-11-2015, 6:25 AM Reply   
Yes, with BTVC plugged into the head unit it most certainly will... That's the purpose of running two seperate pieces, so you can still utilize the volume control on the remotes.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-11-2015, 6:29 AM Reply   
The 420BT is very touchy BT wise, so it needs mounted a certain way compared to the 420SQ.. The BTVC is on point though... So I don't recommend the 420bt, I recommend the combo as I call it for same price...
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-11-2015, 6:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truekaotik View Post
Yes, with BTVC plugged into the head unit it most certainly will... That's the purpose of running two seperate pieces, so you can still utilize the volume control on the remotes.
oh right, volume yes, but no play/pause/forward/reverse track control.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-11-2015, 6:33 AM Reply   
Do you see anything wrong with mounting it like this.
Attached Images

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-11-2015, 7:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
The BTVC still wont work with transom remote.
Sure it will, when connected to the AUX of the head-unit, like stated. Anything at head-unit level, like tuner, USB or AUX, will function at the slave remote.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-11-2015, 7:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
oh right, volume yes, but no play/pause/forward/reverse track control.
How does the WS-420BT do this? Thats a feature I have not been able to unlock in the half dozen ive used.

J/K

If you want those functions, universal external BT wont likely get you that, but connecting via the source unit's data port will.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-11-2015, 7:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Sure it will, when connected to the AUX of the head-unit, like stated. Anything at head-unit level, like tuner, USB or AUX, will function at the slave remote.
again, volume only
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-11-2015, 7:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
How does the WS-420BT do this? Thats a feature I have not been able to unlock in the half dozen ive used.

J/K

If you want those functions, universal external BT wont likely get you that, but connecting via the source unit's data port will.
BTVC also functions as a BT remote, not the WS-420BT. The head unit/transom remote will not be able to play/pause or control tracks.

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/WW-VC-BT.html

"Bluetooth has never been so easy! The new Wet Sounds Bluetooth controller has the ability to pause, play, track forward, track backwards and adjust volume up & down of your Bluetooth device. All from the simple and easy to use single knob design!"
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-11-2015, 8:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
BTVC also functions as a BT remote, not the WS-420BT. The head unit/transom remote will not be able to play/pause or control tracks.

https://wetsounds.com/pages/products/WW-VC-BT.html

"Bluetooth has never been so easy! The new Wet Sounds Bluetooth controller has the ability to pause, play, track forward, track backwards and adjust volume up & down of your Bluetooth device. All from the simple and easy to use single knob design!"
Yes, but not at the head-unit or transom remote, which is the center of the current discussion.

If you want those functions provided by the BTVC AT the transom, like a transom remote, you would have to locate it at the transom, agree? Interfacing through the head-unit AUX with a BT, will not get you those controls through the head-unit or transom remote.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-11-2015, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yes, but not at the head-unit or transom remote, which is the center of the current discussion.

If you want those functions provided by the BTVC AT the transom, like a transom remote, you would have to locate it at the transom, agree? Interfacing through the head-unit AUX with a BT, will not get you those controls through the head-unit or transom remote.
correct, but if you locate it at the transom, then you can't control it at the helm... It's not a perfect solution.

The BEST solution is to get a headunit with integrated bluetooth and then put a transom remote on the headunit.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-11-2015, 10:03 AM Reply   
Board junkie,
What is your point, you first stated that it won't work at all, now its just volume. Then you want him to mount at transom? Read his post, he didn't mention how extent of function he wants, for external BT , volume is all your gonna get. With 420BT nothing from the remotes. He already has remotes, if he wants BT with full function on remote, then replacing only the head unit with a BT version of his remote brand will do it all.. He don't need to replace remotes. We are going off his post and trying to help. He hasn't responded so we don't know how extent and may offer something better later..

Last edited by Truekaotik; 08-11-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-11-2015, 10:11 AM Reply   
Just making sure that everyone participating or using this thread for future information knows all the alternatives and functionality that comes along with each option. I was responding to specific points/questions.
Old     (mfenton)      Join Date: May 2009       08-12-2015, 9:53 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info everyone! Im going to hook everything back up tonight and try the bluetooth this weekend and see how I like it. If I don't like it I will just get the BTVC and run that in to my aux on my head unit. Reason I got the 420bt was I got it new for half price new so it was a no brainier. I will also check the range on the 420BT also.
Old     (cal2vin)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-15-2015, 11:22 AM Reply   
I too have horrific range with the 420BT. In a tiny mc prostar sitting in the passenger seat liberally 4 feet from the 420BT it will cut in and out if you breathe on it wrong. Also a terrible feature of the 420BT is that if u want to disconnect one phone and connect another there's no way to manually put the 420bt in Pairing mode u have to turn off the bluetooth or disconnect on the phone currently connected. I have many people that use bluetooth and when I had the wwbtvc we switched up all the time no prob. Now I'm always having to tell people to turn their bluetooth off when they get on the boat or it automatically connects to their phone which most of the time is stowed away. Really a dumb design unless you use literally one source device. And are 2 feet from the receiver at all times. I usually just use the aux cord. Makes switching easier too
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-15-2015, 11:39 AM Reply   
Even my btvc doesn't have the greatest range. Sometimes it cuts out from the sundeck, and I only have a 21ft boat.
I'll say, now that I've done it and learned, the only thing I'll have wetsounds next go around is the tower speakers. I was talking with another fellow the other day who said the factory bt in his malibu is 10 fold that of his 420bt and is less than impressed with his sinister amps and 808s as well
I as well hate having to figure out who's bt is on and pair another device. Drives me mad
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-15-2015, 8:30 PM Reply   
If you talked to 1 guy about his sinister amps and 808's, then you need to talk to the last 45 customers I've had in the last 30 days, because they're all impressed.

As for the Bluetooth issue, I run my soundboard with an iPad. Sometimes when it's 3' away from either an alpine head unit or Sony head unit it cuts out.

If you want dependable, then get away from Bluetooth and use a usb cable. Bluetooth sucks no matter what brand.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-15-2015, 8:33 PM Reply   
Calvin, all Bluetooth devices connect automatically after you set them up. If you take the same 3 guys out every time, and use their phones, it's gonna do that. Your truck will do the same thing. To change devices, you have to disable Bluetooth on the device so it will look for another.

People come in all the time bitching about Bluetooth and how it doesn't work like they want. That's with 4 different brands. My 2014 Silverado with oem Bluetooth does the same thing. ITS ALWAYS the device.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-16-2015, 10:13 AM Reply   
Except the fanboys, I have recieved the same answers from quite a few people.
The revs are the best option for the tower no doubt, but as far as volume/zone control, amps, and interior speakers, most people won't go the wetsounds route again.
I for one will not again either. I've had nothing but sub par experience from it. The amps and 420eq have been terrible.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-16-2015, 11:27 AM Reply   
Same answers about what? How bluetooth suck and you can't see the fact that it's the device and not the product?

I want to know more details on why your "buddy" doesn't like 808s and SD amps.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-16-2015, 11:37 AM Reply   
My btvc has been less than stellar with any phone we pair it with. Iphone6, 5s, my note 4, s6-any of them.
He's like you wakeworld guys, new boat every season. So he's been around. This time he went full wetsounds like I did. I've never heard the JL in boats but he and others preferred jl over the 808s and 650s. I think that's the route I'll go on my next set up too. I my 808s and 650s but this is my first high dollar stereo so I don't have a comparison personally. My sd2 gave me nothing but **** until they swapped it out, so I took it to fineline and had them tune everything to make sure it was perfect and I have a massive battery bank to run everything. My horns on my revs cut out sometimes and the rca's on 1 channel of the 420 to my towers crackle no matter how many pairs of rca's you try. This is all after months of dealing with that pile of an sd2 I originally was shipped that went into protect as soon as you turn on the eq.
Again like I said, I'm hearing opinion from people who have gone the entire wetsounds route and also had a mixture of amps, cabin speakers and revs, they prefer the mixture better and after my experience with wetsounds products, I probably will go that route now knowing better.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-16-2015, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
so I took it to fineline and had them tune everything to make sure it was perfect
As in the centurion/supreme boat manufacturer?

Quote:
this is my first high dollar stereo so I don't have a comparison personally
So its safe to say that you have also never heard a properly built and tuned Wet Sounds System?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-16-2015, 12:01 PM Reply   
Fineline trim and audio here in the sacramento area. They are the wetsounds people...which is why I took it to them
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-16-2015, 5:50 PM Reply   
I sell btvcs all day long and have maybe had 3-4 out of a hundred come back with issues. I've swapped them all out over the counter. No problems after that. Again, more than likely the device - your phone! Buy an iPod, put music on it. Bluetooth isn't up to anybody's expectations so why the hell do we constantly have this bitch fest!?

If you're horns attenuate, they're clipping.

It sounds to me like it's not tuned right, and maybe even not installed right. I don't know the shop you speak of but my customers don't have these issues. Before you knock a product, you,should learn all the variables involved in a stereo.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-16-2015, 6:11 PM Reply   
How would they possibly clip? They are crossed over at 120hz and the gain is not even 1/4 up. I have 4 L16 6V's. Massive batt bank. The amps are getting power they aren't crossed over too low. They've been tuned by the wetsounds pros. I've had nothing but issues with their ****. I'm done with it this season
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-16-2015, 6:55 PM Reply   
The horn will attenuate or clip if the high end is to bright or a Voltage issue.. The amp settings are not the only part of the equation.. Just because someone sells Wet Sounds doesn't mean they can install it anymore... Be cautious of any installer.. Ask many questions...
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-16-2015, 7:02 PM Reply   
All of my eq knobs are set straight up and down, centered if you will. It's only 1 channel, and it does not matter if it's on aux, or btvc, or if I swap the rca's at the amp around. Still stays on the left channel of my tower. I don't get it, but it's frustrating as hell. It's great when they work right, but id trade some of that for reliability. I'm going to swing it by Dennis at pure audio and have him look at it
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-16-2015, 7:23 PM Reply   
Again, you're blaming the manufacturer. Seek professional help. I second what truck aortic said. Wet sounds let a shop in the next town from me sell their product. I've had to own most of his boat installs with problems ranging from poor system design, not tuned right, or they're **** breaks and he leaves them out and disappears.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-16-2015, 7:47 PM Reply   
Hmmm seems like you may have a issue with the Revs connection or internal. Also havnt seen you post ruling out the 420? Just switching RCAs don't rule it out.. It can't be that many bad products in one boat... Two SD2's with the same issue seems very very impractical... I don't know though, I am a hands on type... I'd take it to a reputable installer, sometimes that means going out of town these days...
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-16-2015, 8:39 PM Reply   
Sd2 had an issue with protect, as soon as the power came on, even with the gain down, wetsounds solved that by serial #. Their early batches of sd had those problems, new one sent out, tower hasn't shut off once. My issue now is with the horns on the left channel of my tower. The shop can't be the problem imo, because they are the ones who do all the wetsounds in the sacramento area. There's quite a bit of them, we have a pretty good size wakeboat market. The issue remains whether on aux or btvc, with any device used, and remains with the swap of rca's. So would that be a 420, horn, or amp channel issue? If I could just get them to work and be reliable all the time I wouldn't have an issue with wetsounds. They are great WHEN they work
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-17-2015, 4:28 AM Reply   
Did you do the install yourself? Youre still blaming a product and you don't know if it's the install or not. Like he said above, just because they claim to be a dealer doesn't mean they know what they're doing. Again, seek professional help.
Old     (cal2vin)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-17-2015, 5:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
Calvin, all Bluetooth devices connect automatically after you set them up. If you take the same 3 guys out every time, and use their phones, it's gonna do that. Your truck will do the same thing. To change devices, you have to disable Bluetooth on the device so it will look for another.

People come in all the time bitching about Bluetooth and how it doesn't work like they want. That's with 4 different brands. My 2014 Silverado with oem Bluetooth does the same thing. ITS ALWAYS the device.
With the wwbtvc or any bluetooth you can manually put in pairing mode and even 5 previously paired bluetooth phones still turned on you can pair whichever you prefer. A manual pair button would solve that issue. But I agree just avoid bluetooth for quality. Best way I've found to have wireless control is WiFi. Connect an ios device with reverse remote app downloaded turn on WiFi hotspot. Grab an IPod with a lifeproof and navigate to the IP of the source device and you've got hella range and waterproof. If u go out of range no problem control is lost temporarily but the music never stops.

I will never own another boat stereo without a 420 for zone control. Ive never had an issue with sound quality of wetsounds gear. Always been top notch in that regard.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-17-2015, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
With the wwbtvc or any bluetooth you can manually put in pairing mode
Not at all accurate. There are plenty of BT units out there that are always in the mood, just waiting for a phone to pair with. Along with the 420BT, theres the JL unit, fusion BT, Milennia BT just to name a couple in the marine arena.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-17-2015, 10:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
Sd2 had an issue with protect, as soon as the power came on, even with the gain down, wetsounds solved that by serial #. Their early batches of sd had those problems, new one sent out, tower hasn't shut off once. My issue now is with the horns on the left channel of my tower. The shop can't be the problem imo, because they are the ones who do all the wetsounds in the sacramento area. There's quite a bit of them, we have a pretty good size wakeboat market. The issue remains whether on aux or btvc, with any device used, and remains with the swap of rca's. So would that be a 420, horn, or amp channel issue? If I could just get them to work and be reliable all the time I wouldn't have an issue with wetsounds. They are great WHEN they work
If the problem is on one channel only in one zone only then it can't be that hard to diagnose.
I did not read whether you have one or two HLCDs on the problematic tower channel?
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-17-2015, 10:41 AM Reply   
One pair. My right pair works fine, and the problem remains with the left pair no matter how you slice it. I haven't tried another amp, or another source on the 420, if I swap the rca's from tower to in boats, and in boat to tower, I could see what happens. But I'm not sure what good that would show me because it's not that the channel is completely dead. It's just the horns on that channel.
Old     (cal2vin)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-17-2015, 12:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Not at all accurate. There are plenty of BT units out there that are always in the mood, just waiting for a phone to pair with. Along with the 420BT, theres the JL unit, fusion BT, Milennia BT just to name a couple in the marine arena.
The 420bt is not one that's always waiting. If its paired with one thing then it won't show up on an available device list
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-17-2015, 2:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmorlan View Post
One pair. My right pair works fine, and the problem remains with the left pair no matter how you slice it. I haven't tried another amp, or another source on the 420, if I swap the rca's from tower to in boats, and in boat to tower, I could see what happens. But I'm not sure what good that would show me because it's not that the channel is completely dead. It's just the horns on that channel.
Any change in behavior that you can create by substitution will likely isolate the problematic component in the signal chain.
So yes, switch the in-boat RCAs with the tower RCAs coming out of the EQ. Also, switch left and right RCAs as a separate step. This way you can eliminate both the EQ and RCA cables as a potential problem.
If the issue is proven to be between the amplifier and speakers then once everything has been returned to original then switch the tower amplifier L & R speaker outputs.
If the issue is proven to be the speakers then disconnect one speaker at a time and test the remaining speaker in isolation. Certainly a non-linear change would first point to a speaker rather than an electronic component. So just to be thorough make sure that both horn tweeters are operational to begin with. It's hard to believe that both speakers on one side would have the same intermittent issue simultaneously, if the problem is not a common component like the amplifier.
You can then switch speakers within the pods on this one side to isolate both the passive crossover and high frequency driver.
Or, as an alternative and maybe much faster method, you can use a 1kHz and 10kHz test tone and sequentially measure and compare the voltage with a multimeter at each and every point along the signal path....and looking for a voltage drop as you hear an attenuation of the highs. Easy does it on the volume level because a sine wave can quickly smoke a speaker.