Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Landsucks93)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-20-2017, 9:14 AM Reply   
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum but pretty familiar with boats. We have decided it is time for our family to step up and buy and actual tow boat. But the kicker is we can't spend more than 10k and would like to be closer to 7. I know that's a tall order but the budget is firm. Our last boat was an 89 rienell Sunchaser. But we would like to look at getting away from i/o boats. I have been leaning towards a prostar 190 even though it is more of a dedicated ski boat and we do more boarding. There is a gentleman selling one in mint condition near me for 7k. What other boats should I consider in that price bracket. I would like to stay away from wood stringers if at all possible. Sorry if these are all newbie questions. Thanks in advance.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-20-2017, 11:04 AM Reply   
I'd look for a Nautique 2001 with either stringers in great shape, or already replaced with composite material. Incredible little boats, I'm super impressed with build quality (just sold my '85 with >2900 hours, still runs great) of those. And the wake, of course
Old     (Landsucks93)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-20-2017, 11:23 AM Reply   
I've heard only good about the 2001s but I don't wanna deal with rot. Is there a surefire way to check for stringer rot without drilling holes in the tops? I'm sure that would be frowned upon by the owner haha
Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-20-2017, 12:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landsucks93 View Post
I've heard only good about the 2001s but I don't wanna deal with rot. Is there a surefire way to check for stringer rot without drilling holes in the tops? I'm sure that would be frowned upon by the owner haha
Put a wrench on the engine mount bolts and make sure they don't spin free & walk the floor feeling for soft spots.
Those SN2001's are great boats if you don't have a big crew.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-20-2017, 12:28 PM Reply   
http://www.onlyinboards.com/1993-Ski...gan-66259.aspx

At least you didn't say you want a v-drive Here's a 93 ski nautique. I had a 92 and they are very solid well made boats. No wood in the construction and built like a battleship. They have a fair amount of freeboard so you could load it up with ballast.

My advice is in your price range buy based on condition and owner history, not brand or model. Nautique, Mastercraft and Malibu were all good boats in the late 80s-early 90s. Stick with one of those and don't get greedy. You won't get a lot of quality inboard for that money. Something a little odd like the MC tri star or Maristar will be cheaper because they aren't good ski boats so there's less demand.
Old     (Landsucks93)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-20-2017, 12:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice everyone. That ski nautique looks pretty sweet but Michigan is a bit of a drive for me (utah) there is a very nice 88 2001 only a few hours from me but he says "Stringers seem solid as far as I can tell. A few soft spots in the floor." That would lead me to believe if that the stringers are either partially rotted or quickly on their way to being rotted. In contrast to that there is 1990 prostar 190 in flawless condition for the same price (7k) I'm leaning towards the mastercraft for that reason.

Last edited by Landsucks93; 06-20-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-21-2017, 2:01 PM Reply   
You keep talking up that Prostar 190 and they are beautiful, reliable boats. But the Prostar 190 isn't just "more of a dedicated ski boat." It's the best slalom boat on the planet. And it does that by throwing out little to no wake. It also has almost zero freeboard so it's hard to add weight. If you can find a 93+ Sport Nautique you'll get a lot better wake and no rot to worry about. There was one for sale near me a month or so ago for $9,000 but I've seen people ask up to $15,000 for them. Even a Ski Nautique of that era (93+) will throw a better wake than a Prostar 190 and have composite stringers.

When faced with a similar budget last year, I bought a $4,000 1983 Ski Nautique. That left room for a stringer job if needed. It has a minor soft spot on the floor under the observer bench and the foam is pretty waterlogged but the stringers are still solid and the interior was immaculate (and near as I can tell original). To me that's important because it tells me the boat was either stored inside or covered well. On purchase the lag bolts were solid and alignment has been stable so far.
Old     (Landsucks93)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-21-2017, 2:11 PM Reply   
Awesome. I'm not set on anything in particular I've looked at a few very clean i/os as well. and I don't want to rush anything. Fortunately I have to wait until my current boat sells so it gives me lots of time to stew about it for better or worse.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-21-2017, 2:54 PM Reply   
I'd be wary of a 1990 prostar for $7k. Either there is something wrong or the seller doesn't understand the market. like dante said that is one of the most highly regarded slalom boats ever made. Because of that they bring high prices. If it is in good shape for that price you should buy it. If you decide to sell it later you'll probably make money.
Old     (Gavin17)      Join Date: Nov 2015       06-22-2017, 3:30 AM Reply   
What they said, I ski a 190 once or twice per week and wouldn't buy it for a family or wakeboard boat. Small wake, small boat crazy low bow and freeboard.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-22-2017, 6:47 AM Reply   
Under $10k you're looking at SN2001, Barefoot Nautique, Excel, Supra SunSport (Beast, Marauder) or Saltare (Pirata).

$12k-$13k is around where newer composite boats start, then you could look at the same Supra models 93 and newer (composite), CC Sport Nautique, MC 205 and a few others. Sport Natique was available 92 and under with wood stringers and you might find one under $10k.

Correct Craft went composite in '93 (except Excel, which I think may have remained wood through all years of production), Supra started mid-late '91 and all composite by '92. Easy way to tell is square windshield is wood, round windshield is composite. MC went composite in the 80s but unless you're an avid slalom skier this is irrelevant. Also keep in mind a composite not taken care of can have saturated foam and delamination issues particularly if stored wet in freezing temps.

Avoid the low freeboard 19' competition ski boats. I'd rather do stringers in a SN2001 (relatively easy, does not require removing the cap) than be stuck with a PS190.
Old     (Landsucks93)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-22-2017, 7:07 AM Reply   
Ok so I think we have established that the prostar 190 is probably not the correct choice For my application. Is there common issues in particular I need to look for on the 2001, the one I am looking at is a 88 model year
Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-22-2017, 7:13 AM Reply   
1994 Ski Nautique w/ tandem trailer

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/6174285147.html

Up for sale is a 1994 Ski Nautique w/ tandem trailer. Closed bow, with 5.8 Ford V8 engine w/860 hrs. Also a wakeboard tower and Teak platform. Tires are in good condition and has new brakes installed. It also has a cool stereo. Four blade ski prop in ...
Old     (doubleup16)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-22-2017, 7:14 AM Reply   
Might be worth a drive to not worry about stringers rotting.
Old     (Blamey)      Join Date: Apr 2016       06-22-2017, 6:50 PM Reply   
You can definitely get a sport for 10k if you shop around. I just sold my 95 Sport with new trailer and new interior for 12k. On guy who was looking at my boat picked up a 2000 sport for 12k.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       06-24-2017, 6:02 AM Reply   
Keep your eyes out for the right deal and be ready to move when it pops up. Years ago I picked up a 2000 Prostar 205 (DD) that was a bank repossession for $7500. Gel coat was rough, interior was rough but mechanically and structurally it was great. Same hull as the original Xstar, when weighted right the wake is great. Something will pop up and keep an eye on the west coast, there are a lot of more affordable wake boats in NorCal.
Old     (Landsucks93)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-24-2017, 8:39 PM Reply   
Thank you guys for the advice. I am in a position to buy and I'm going to go lake test an 87 sn2001 tomorrow evening and hopefully it will be in good shape and ready to roll is there any common issues I should look for or be aware of on these 2001s?
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-25-2017, 11:06 AM Reply   
Are you on correctcraftfan.com yet? You might be able to find someone there to accompany you when checking out the boat. If not, great info on buying a 2001 there. Good luck!
Old     (Landsucks93)      Join Date: Jun 2017       06-25-2017, 11:30 AM Reply   
Thanks trip. I will go get on there and see what info I can dig up! Everyone has been super helpful thank you all again
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-25-2017, 2:27 PM Reply   
If you're going to buy a SN2001 try to find a 1989