Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-06-2017, 6:57 AM Reply   
Hey all I pulled my boat out of storage for the first time this year . I was happy it was clean,dry and critter free . I hooked up the water hose and fired it up to warm up the oil for an oil change . (fired right up). While wiping it down as it warmed up I thought some music would be nice and turned on the stereo and thats when my day went to crap .lol.
The sub amp fired right up but my Fosgate Punch P600x4 would not work . I have power to the positive terminal and power to the remote wire from the deck solid ground but the light is a weird blue with a hint of pink/purple showing kinda on the edge of the light .Its weird . I've never had one crap out from sitting and the area its mounted in is nice and dry so I dont think its a moisture issue . Do you dudes have any suggestions ? I think Im going to unhook everything but the power/ground and remote wires and see if the light looks normal . If its solid blue ill start hooking it all back up 1 by one and maybe I'll find a wiring issue that way .
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-06-2017, 3:18 PM Reply   
Does the amp have a built in fuse?
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-08-2017, 1:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
Does the amp have a built in fuse?
I don't think so . I did all the trouble shooting I could find to eliminate it being a wiring issue or blown speaker possibly causing it to go into protection mode . So after that I took it out of the boat and went down to a reputable stereo shop local to me . They smelled it and said with out a doubt something fry'd inside it . They had me smell it and then opened a brand new one and let me smell it too lol My amp definitely cooked some internal component . I had a p400 laying around that I installed for the time being . The stereo shop is having a big sale in a week and a half so I will replace my p600 with another one or maybe a JL audio of similar power output .
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-08-2017, 2:20 PM Reply   
+12V should be fused close to the battery. most have fuses on one end. Sucks about the amp, but jealous of the awesome shop you have local. Mine wants $1000 to hook up my own gear.

Rockford will repair their amps for a fee, if its out of warranty. Just got one back from arc audio. In order: warranty, repair, replace
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-09-2017, 10:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
+12V should be fused close to the battery. most have fuses on one end. Sucks about the amp, but jealous of the awesome shop you have local. Mine wants $1000 to hook up my own gear.

Rockford will repair their amps for a fee, if its out of warranty. Just got one back from arc audio. In order: warranty, repair, replace
Its definitely nice having a high end Stereo shop around . I called fosgate they offered to fix it starting at $190.00 I found a replacement for around $250.00 . I feel better just ordering a new one if I cant find something at the big sale . The reason I wanted to stick with the same amp was because the installer did such a sweet job wiring this thing I just wanted to be able to replace the amp hook the existing wiring back up and rock on .

Last edited by CALIV210; 05-09-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-09-2017, 12:12 PM Reply   
would be nice to figure out what happened to the bad one. dont' want that popping up next year
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       05-09-2017, 2:05 PM Reply   
I wish I knew . Fosgate and my stereo shop both told me sometimes they just fail when you power them up . I wish I knew what the issue is . Im gonna take a close look at it just to see if see anything melted or burnt looking
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-12-2017, 6:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
would be nice to figure out what happened to the bad one. dont' want that popping up next year
opened the amp up and still cant tell what happened . Smells bad though lol I cant bring myself to throw it away I might see if anyone local to me fixes them .
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       06-12-2017, 6:59 AM Reply   
UPDATE HOPING TO HELP OTHERS not make the same mistake sooooo stupid

So I installed a Fosgate Punch 400x4 that was not getting used . I hooked it up all was good and I covered the boat up . Then when on the water the Tweeters would cut out after a few minutes . I triple double checked all the wiring and could not figure it out even started thinking the HU was crapping the bed . Well after a ton of web research I decided to just readjust the amps by ear as I dont have the meter to do it perfectly . I tried to readjust and it did not work just kept getting worse and I was really getting frustrated you know the feeling when your like screw it I'm gonna throw a new AMP an HU on the credit card . Well I decided to look at it all again and I determined that I was adjusting the gain the wrong way . I made a final adjustment after I figured out while laying upside down and reaching into where the amp was mounted that either I'm super stupid or my dyslexia was screwing with me but I got it dialed in once I turned the adjustments the right way . What was happening is the protection in the crossovers for the mids and highs was turning off the tweeters due to a bad frequency adjustment and having the gain a smidgen to high. All is well now and I really cant tell the amp is 200 watts smaller then the previous one . So glad I didnt buy a new amp and HU ..lol

Last edited by CALIV210; 06-12-2017 at 7:06 AM.