Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-02-2016, 5:32 PM Reply   
So this last weekend my father in law was kind enough to drop the boat in the water for me, so i could get a set in before it got dark. While running it back to the dock from the launch the motor over heated, but did so with no alarm. I assumed that it either blew an impeller or had weeds caught somewhere in the tran/oil coolers. I checked all of these areas and all 3 checked out with no issues. I proceeded to tear into every water line and still find no blockage. I checked to make sure impeller is moving water and it definitely has flow through out different hoses. It appears that not enough water is getting to exhaust manifolds, but the rest of the boat is getting adequate water for cooling. Any ideas what this gremlin could be? I missed the nicest water i have ever seen on our lake because of it

Last edited by TC_Mastercraf_X5; 10-02-2016 at 5:33 PM. Reason: missing text
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-02-2016, 5:55 PM Reply   
Thermostat probably stuck shut.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-02-2016, 7:25 PM Reply   
The thermostat seemed to be responding but just sluggish when i was doing some tests. The engine didn't ever appear to actually be hitting critical.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-02-2016, 7:54 PM Reply   
What temp was it running at?
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-02-2016, 8:06 PM Reply   
It would swing up to like 190 but catch itself and drop back down to mid 150s.
Old     (Bam6961)      Join Date: Apr 2011       10-02-2016, 10:28 PM Reply   
I'd swap out the thermostat if its sluggish. Sometimes they get slow and don't react as fast as they should or open up fully.

Had the same thing happen to a black scorpion engine on a sanger. Engine would run a little hot then drop. bought a new thermostat and compared them in some hot water. found that the old took a while to open up and didn't open as much as the new one.
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-03-2016, 5:28 AM Reply   
It seems like the engine is getting water; however, the exhaust manifolds appear to be getting starved of water.
Old     (LiquidObsession)      Join Date: Jun 2015       10-03-2016, 5:42 AM Reply   
This sounds close to what I'm experiencing. Older boat (2004 MBSports) Had a trusted mechanic test raw water system past impeller/thermostat/pump... all good with good water flow out back. Now we're thinking exhaust risers perhaps. Royal pain in the boat! Thinking about doing a vinegar cleanse to the system as some have suggested. If you catch your gremlin please post it here cuz mine is a clever, evil, fun robbing ninja.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-03-2016, 5:48 AM Reply   
I would still start with the thermostat and see what that does. It's so cheap and easy to swap that you'd be crazy not to do it as a troubleshooting step. Especially since, if it is NOT the thermostat, then you might be looking at a more major repair.
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-04-2016, 11:12 PM Reply   
What engine?
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-05-2016, 8:31 AM Reply   
Crew Regular
198 posts
April 7, 2014
Boat: 2007 Malibu Wakesetter VLX
Posted just now · Report post
Having exhausted all of my knowledge and skills I decided to bring my boat into Ski Boat Solutions for expert guidance on the overheat issue. Jim performed several test and called Indmar for the expert guidance. Being the motor is a 2012 5.7L 335hp with a serial number of 169262 the Indmar representative advised like this sounded like a recall issue that was active. The recall number is B2013-1 Water Circulating Pump Replacement. Jim proceeded to pull the pump and find that in fact it had failed just as the representative had predicted. Please see the attached photo of the failed pump with cracked bronze impeller. Jim proceeded to call back into Indmar to speak with the representative again confirming that this would be covered under the recall providing the pump serial number 11212p1311. However, the indmar representative said that it was not eligible for the recall due to not being their exact range of being serial number below 12027. Jim and the representative confirmed multiple times that the recall was in fact covering this exact issue, on this exact motor, for this exact year. The representative additionally said it would not be eligible for the motor warranty as my warranty started in April 2012 and expired in April 2015. The representative said sorry we can do anything for you even though this bronze impeller failure is a known issue with an actual recall published.

I have always been loyal to Mastercraft and Malibu boats as I was firm believer in the power plant (motor) behind them. I totally understand that recalls happen; however, I have been extremely disappointed in how this motor issue has been handled especially with it being a known issue. This experience has made me question my loyalty as the loyalty I have does not appear to be reciprocal.
Attached Images

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       10-05-2016, 11:43 AM Reply   
wow, that's crazy. glad you found the problem. What's the replacement cost?
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-05-2016, 12:20 PM Reply   
Hate to add to your woes but has Jim checked that the exhaust manifolds are ok because the circ pump failure can cause the water in the manifolds to turn to steam as they overheat and can blow out the cooling galleries. There should also be a re-plum kit for the manifolds you may want him to check out. GM expired the recall almost 2 years ago as all there 5.7 engines at the time were fitted with that pump so wasn't unique to just Indmar as I had to replace them on other brands of marine engines as well. As stated there was a specific recall based upon serial numbers from GM that qualified for the waterpump change
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-06-2016, 3:55 PM Reply   
I know once he installed the new pump the boat all of sudden started throwing crazy codes including misfire and 02 sensor. The misfire appears to be alleviated by putting new distributor cap and plugs in. Not sure if the over heating would have totally fried the 02 sensors.

Is the re-route hosing worth the squeeze?

I am up to 300 for pump+100 hoses that melted+ 50 new impeller (old one was only 10 hours old, but cant return once its in there. Will make for good back up) + 100 plugs/dcap + who knows what else is coming...

Right before have to throw money at winterization and storage too... FML
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-08-2016, 12:17 AM Reply   
Get manifolds pressure tested because if they leak you will get water in your cylinders o2 sensors could be caused by cat bricks being steamed which may mean new manifolds