Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Talonsorensen)      Join Date: Apr 2012 Location: Gig harbor Washington       08-30-2016, 9:27 PM Reply   
Whats everyone favorite Shop? Can be Pro Shop and or boat parts.
me personally working at two different shops in Seattle area its crazy to me how much different operations and how the behind the scenes is.

So my Question is whats your favorite Pro Shop and why, not only that but whats something you think they could do a better job of!
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-31-2016, 7:44 AM Reply   
I don't have a great local shop. I've purchased through lots of online dealers. I recently had warranty issues with both evo.com and buywake.com. Buywake was 100x easier to work with, fyi.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-31-2016, 9:16 AM Reply   
I use Evo quite a bit. I live in BC, Canada and Evo is in Seattle so it's quick shipping times.
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       08-31-2016, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I use Evo quite a bit. I live in BC, Canada and Evo is in Seattle so it's quick shipping times.
I live on the east coast and shipping times are still pretty good with Evo, also have never had an issue with any returns.
Old     (DrewLongshore)      Join Date: Oct 2016       11-05-2016, 6:37 PM Reply   
Buywake!!!

Hands down the best crew and customer service you'll find out there.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-06-2016, 7:00 AM Reply   
Was really hoping that people in this thread would be shouting out local places instead of online stores. I get it, because I too like to spend less for things that I want, but it's pretty apparent in this thread why the "local shop" is dying. It kills me when I walk people through what gear I would recommend and why it fits their needs best, then I get the "alright, thanks from the advice! I think I'm going to pick it up that board you sold me on from buywake." Sorry for the rant. Maybe this is a conversation for another thread.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-06-2016, 7:44 AM Reply   
I would be happy to spend an extra 10% to shop at brick and mortar in addition to the extra expense of having to drive there. The problem is that they don't want a 10% mark up. They want a 100% mark up. Prices at the local shop are double the online price or more. I'll pay a premium for equipment that is made in the USA. I will not pay an additional premium above that to buy a product sold by a local shop ESPECIALLY when that shop doesn't bother selling the made in USA product because the margin is too low. Brick and mortar shops tend to focus on selling the high margin Chinese garbage. If you want the good stuff, you'll only find it on the internet anymore.
I don't have a favorite as of yet but I did have a horrible experience with a company selling on Amazon buying a last year's model. My son's birthday present was a couple weeks late as a result. They said they had it and then a week later when it was supposed to have shipped they sent me an email telling me it was no longer in stock. I had to scavenge the internet to find a somewhat higher price at the-house.com. My experience at the-house was as expected which was fine. Then I went there to get a snowboard and it turned out that my local snowboard shop was actually cheaper. We have lots of snowboard shops here but only one or two watersports shops. I imagine that makes all the difference. Competition is a great thing when there is some.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-06-2016, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
I would be happy to spend an extra 10% to shop at brick and mortar in addition to the extra expense of having to drive there. The problem is that they don't want a 10% mark up. They want a 100% mark up. Prices at the local shop are double the online price or more. I'll pay a premium for equipment that is made in the USA. I will not pay an additional premium above that to buy a product sold by a local shop ESPECIALLY when that shop doesn't bother selling the made in USA product because the margin is too low. Brick and mortar shops tend to focus on selling the high margin Chinese garbage. If you want the good stuff, you'll only find it on the internet anymore.
I don't have a favorite as of yet but I did have a horrible experience with a company selling on Amazon buying a last year's model. My son's birthday present was a couple weeks late as a result. They said they had it and then a week later when it was supposed to have shipped they sent me an email telling me it was no longer in stock. I had to scavenge the internet to find a somewhat higher price at the-house.com. My experience at the-house was as expected which was fine. Then I went there to get a snowboard and it turned out that my local snowboard shop was actually cheaper. We have lots of snowboard shops here but only one or two watersports shops. I imagine that makes all the difference. Competition is a great thing when there is some.
Eric,

That's insane! Sounds like you local store is pricing their stuff insanely high. I will say though, even when retail stores decide that it's time to blow out their previous year's inventory for 30-40% off retail, Evo and other online store will drop things down to their cost, which is often 20-30% lower than what a stand-alone retail store can buy it for. Retail stores rely on every dollar they make to be able to keep the lights on, so dropping gear below cost just to get rid of it isn't really an option unfortunately.

Either way though, it's not like campaigning for people to support their local stores is going to change anything. If I've learned anything in sales, it's that people will take everything you can possibly give them, and to many the time and effort spent with them doesn't mean a thing if they can buy it cheaper somewhere else. That much is true no matter what you sell (wakeboards, boats, cars, houses, etc.)
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-07-2016, 10:03 AM Reply   
I always see prices the same in store vs online for the exact same product (same year). There is usually only a price difference when it comes to closeouts (previous year boards) because online shops have little overhead.

I do think it's a shame that most shops do not carry USA made products. The shops want people to support them because it is supporting local jobs, but the shops wont even support US companies.
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       11-07-2016, 12:01 PM Reply   
I posted the first comment with online retailers so I'll throw in the only physical store I've had good luck with. The Boardshop in Lake Geneva Wisconsin (bswake.com) was great to work with. Purchased a new pair of boots this season and they matched online prices. Wish it wasn't an hour drive, as I do like the ability to go back and deal in person with warranty issues if they were to come up.
Tried to get my buddy to go there for new boots and request a price match. He was unwilling and then ended up waiting what I would feel was to long for replacement boots. If you are in the SE WI area they do stock wake gear at the local nautique dealers in Elkhorn and Oconomowoc.
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-14-2016, 4:48 AM Reply   
Hey Talon / All,
I don't post alot on here but this topics on the forum, but really wanted to comment here as I felt I might be able to add something to this thread. I opened our pro shop in 1989….and have sold wakebaords since the beginning of compression molding. Talon…the big question here really is about “Value”…and what “value” does any store…online or brick and mortar bring to you its customer.
From my perspective…..what separates a good pro shop is product knowledge, product selection, a working knowledge of the product and dealing with a business / person who truly cares about your needs, asks the right questions to assess your specific riding needs and backs it up with customer service before…during…and after the sale. And then offers you a fair - competitive price with any store online or brick and mortar. Bottom line here is we have to create “Value” for you…through knowledge, or customer service and our pricing.

The internet changed how consumers shop. For many customers….its only about the price and getting things as cheap as they can. Trust me…I get this…..I shop on Amazon…search for the cheapest deals on alot of things. But I can tell you with 100% certainty….often times when I’m making a big purchase I wante to speak to someone I can trust….Someone who has real knowledge on the product, & how it works….Someone who can listen to my needs and help me chose the right product for them based on the feedback I give him.
Again….this is about creating “Value”…value in the product and piece of mind that you have the right gear for your needs…at a fair price. Also there is value in having a relationship with a person in a shop…..that heaven forbid you have problems…will be there to help remedy them and be your advocate with the manufacturer. For us…we try to create “value” for our customers beyond just the bottom line price. That said, Eric/Denver Rider….you shouldn’t be paying 100% more than retail…or even an extra 10% more than retail for product. The manufactures set pricing guidelines for us. Online stores pretty much dictate the prices we sell for them in our store for current model year stuff. On older model closeout stuff…it really boils down to “moving product”….turning it. Also Eric….while I also wish everything could be made in the US….the reality of the world we live in is that EVERY top manufacturer makes the majority of their line overseas. Boards can me be made here cost effectively…but just about everything else is made overseas mainly as its the best way for these manufacturers to bring premium products at prices people can afford to buy them…with the most modern materials and technology. Will this change with Trump in the office…I doubt it…but lets not go there on this thread.

Really this boils back to supporting stores that work to earn your business…meet your needs…answer your quesitons and resolve problems you have. Also that “give back” to the sport. For us…we have been putting on amateur wakeboard tournaments to grow the sport and nurture it for over 15 years. We believe in this, bringing families together to share the passion for the sport we love. Do you / should you pay more for this….no…but on some level…supporting shops that help support the sports you love is the right thing to do. If you have a local shop who cares about you…your business…and works to earn it…support them. If you can’t, work to find shops that will. We strive to do this. We aren’t perfect…but we do take pride in what we do..and work to earn our customers business for life. Sure you can find cheap deals on gear online…but KNOW who are buying from. “Too Good To Be True Deals” are probably just that. Question them….and “why” they are so cheap. Have seen this with a lot of online dealers selling blems /3rds /etc…and not disclosing that up front. Bottom line its about having a shop that really respects you…your business and will work to help earn your business.

Thanks for letting me rant here….Talon…thanks for starting this. Its a good thing to put out there.

Best Regards

Bill Porter
Founder / Performance Ski and Surf - perfski.com

FYI…Heres a short video we did about the store…and this topic specifically…about why you should buy from us. http://www.perfski.com/why-buy-from-perfski
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       11-14-2016, 5:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfski View Post
Hey Talon / All,
I don't post alot on here but this topics on the forum, but really wanted to comment here as I felt I might be able to add something to this thread. I opened our pro shop in 1989….and have sold wakebaords since the beginning of compression molding. Talon…the big question here really is about “Value”…and what “value” does any store…online or brick and mortar bring to you its customer.
From my perspective…..what separates a good pro shop is product knowledge, product selection, a working knowledge of the product and dealing with a business / person who truly cares about your needs, asks the right questions to assess your specific riding needs and backs it up with customer service before…during…and after the sale. And then offers you a fair - competitive price with any store online or brick and mortar. Bottom line here is we have to create “Value” for you…through knowledge, or customer service and our pricing.

The internet changed how consumers shop. For many customers….its only about the price and getting things as cheap as they can. Trust me…I get this…..I shop on Amazon…search for the cheapest deals on alot of things. But I can tell you with 100% certainty….often times when I’m making a big purchase I wante to speak to someone I can trust….Someone who has real knowledge on the product, & how it works….Someone who can listen to my needs and help me chose the right product for them based on the feedback I give him.
Again….this is about creating “Value”…value in the product and piece of mind that you have the right gear for your needs…at a fair price. Also there is value in having a relationship with a person in a shop…..that heaven forbid you have problems…will be there to help remedy them and be your advocate with the manufacturer. For us…we try to create “value” for our customers beyond just the bottom line price. That said, Eric/Denver Rider….you shouldn’t be paying 100% more than retail…or even an extra 10% more than retail for product. The manufactures set pricing guidelines for us. Online stores pretty much dictate the prices we sell for them in our store for current model year stuff. On older model closeout stuff…it really boils down to “moving product”….turning it. Also Eric….while I also wish everything could be made in the US….the reality of the world we live in is that EVERY top manufacturer makes the majority of their line overseas. Boards can me be made here cost effectively…but just about everything else is made overseas mainly as its the best way for these manufacturers to bring premium products at prices people can afford to buy them…with the most modern materials and technology. Will this change with Trump in the office…I doubt it…but lets not go there on this thread.

Really this boils back to supporting stores that work to earn your business…meet your needs…answer your quesitons and resolve problems you have. Also that “give back” to the sport. For us…we have been putting on amateur wakeboard tournaments to grow the sport and nurture it for over 15 years. We believe in this, bringing families together to share the passion for the sport we love. Do you / should you pay more for this….no…but on some level…supporting shops that help support the sports you love is the right thing to do. If you have a local shop who cares about you…your business…and works to earn it…support them. If you can’t, work to find shops that will. We strive to do this. We aren’t perfect…but we do take pride in what we do..and work to earn our customers business for life. Sure you can find cheap deals on gear online…but KNOW who are buying from. “Too Good To Be True Deals” are probably just that. Question them….and “why” they are so cheap. Have seen this with a lot of online dealers selling blems /3rds /etc…and not disclosing that up front. Bottom line its about having a shop that really respects you…your business and will work to help earn your business.

Thanks for letting me rant here….Talon…thanks for starting this. Its a good thing to put out there.

Best Regards

Bill Porter
Founder / Performance Ski and Surf - perfski.com

FYI…Heres a short video we did about the store…and this topic specifically…about why you should buy from us. http://www.perfski.com/why-buy-from-perfski
Well said Bill!!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-14-2016, 8:59 PM Reply   
^^^^^^ That is why Bill and Perfski are still in business as a brick and mortar shop in this evolving world of online retail. Makes me want to buy something from them right now.
Old     (robbo3)      Join Date: Jul 2015       01-29-2017, 6:23 PM Reply   
We pick up as much as we can at Fort Fremont in Fremont WI. It's on my way to the lake, and I can call ahead to have gear put aside. Since they're on the Wolf River, they sponsor local contests and do a lot for the local community.

For those in Eastern Michigan, Silver Spray Sports in Fenton is another top notch shop. They're right on Silver Lake and will let you test gear out before purchasing.

Last edited by robbo3; 01-29-2017 at 6:25 PM. Reason: updated
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-29-2017, 6:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverRider View Post
I would be happy to spend an extra 10% to shop at brick and mortar in addition to the extra expense of having to drive there. The problem is that they don't want a 10% mark up. They want a 100% mark up.
PRODUCTS PURCHASED ONLINE ARE NOT CHEAPER

Mom and Pop will sell just as cheap if the online market is doing it. they almost have to just take it on the chin and enjoy that low margin.

However, opening a Mom and Pop store is usually more expensive to penetrate the market.
When someone runs a brick and mortar store they have probably found a niche market and will price match you what can be found online today. What I'm trying to say is that while Mom and Pop stores are becoming rare, a lot of them run healthy businesses and can toe to toe with the big guys.

Moral of the story- taxes and regulations have been suffocating the [brick and mortar marketplace] while devaluing the [online retail industry]. (I mean lessening the cost do business in this way) Note: many times you don't have to pay sales tax when you buy something online. It's as if someone is trying to artificially stimulate the online retail business. But our government would never
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-30-2017, 8:45 AM Reply   
so... sounds like stuff bought on line IS CHEAPER
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2017, 11:08 AM Reply   
Yes exactly... and no..... Like an airplane
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-30-2017, 2:23 PM Reply   
Does anyone have a good local pro shop recommendation in DFW (especially the Lake Grapevine area)? I haven't personally found one. The only brick and mortar purchases I've done around here have been at Sun & Ski at the mall.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-30-2017, 5:05 PM Reply   
Slalom shop pro shop on lake Lewisville has been great to deal with.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-30-2017, 7:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Does anyone have a good local pro shop recommendation in DFW (especially the Lake Grapevine area)? I haven't personally found one. The only brick and mortar purchases I've done around here have been at Sun & Ski at the mall.

I can say that TXMastercraft parts and service department is A++. I did purchase a wakesurf there years ago. It actually turned out to be pretty cool cause at the time they only made the lf custom in a 4'2" and a 4'10" and this one turned out to be an oddball at 4'6". I really liked the board when i used to live in san marcos we would river surf there at rio vista park.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-31-2017, 7:05 AM Reply   
Thanks, guys. I'll give Slalom Shop a visit. Up until about three months ago, I worked across the street from Texas Mastercraft. They're an amazing boat dealership. They have their own lake to test drive on and a single pass cable system. But I wasn't all that impressed with their pro shop. I'll give them another look. Maybe last time I just hit them at a bad time.
Old     (T_A)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-31-2017, 5:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Thanks, guys. I'll give Slalom Shop a visit. Up until about three months ago, I worked across the street from Texas Mastercraft. They're an amazing boat dealership. They have their own lake to test drive on and a single pass cable system. But I wasn't all that impressed with their pro shop. I'll give them another look. Maybe last time I just hit them at a bad time.
Or check out the boat show this weekend and check them all out. I'd bet they are lower on supply at their shops the next 2 weeks. I have found they are willing to negotiate a little at the boat show on gear.