Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (jnewton7)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
Hey guys i was just going to see if anyone had any advice on how to take my raley bigger. Seems like i started off doing them decently high and they seem to have gotten lower recently. Not sure if im cutting through the wake or my form has gotten sloppy...here is a vid of it....any advice is appreciated thx for the help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-StyH...yer_detailpage
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       09-02-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
It looks like you are flattening off your edge to soon. Ride it all the way up through the wake. Good form otherwise!
Old    alanp            09-08-2011, 11:26 AM Reply   
go out wider, cut harder=bigger raley
Old     (rickdic)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-14-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff - it appears to me that you aren't loading the line quite as much as you might think. By 'loading the line', I'm referring to the amount of tension that you are building in the rope. The more tension you create, the higher you will go (as you probably know). However, it is easy to misinterpret 'speed' as 'tension' (or 'cutting harder'). I think that you are placing too much weight on your tail, which generates speed, but at the expense of line tension. Therefore, if you weight your board more evenly, you'll generate more 'tension', taking you higher.

I extracted a few stills from your video to demonstrate what I mean (see http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa430/rickdic/ ) - sorry the images are in reverse order.

Looking at 'approach', you can see that only about 1/2-2/3 of the board is in the water. While this is good, it could be better (i.e. more of the board should be in the water). The way to to this is to center your weight. Looking at your legs, you can clearly see that your right (back) leg is bent, while your front leg is almost straight. This is a clear sign that more weight is on the tail.

Next, as Jason points out, you might be flattening the board (and extending your arms) a bit too early. Compare the amount of spray between 'approach' & 'takeoff'. As you're riding up the wake, stay down a bit longer (i.e. stand up later). This will also help to generate more tension in the line, since by standing up (and extending your arms), you're releasing some of the tension that you have built up in your approach.

Finally, looking at 'landing', you see that you're in a bit of a wheelie. This results from the fact that "the way you land is the way you take-off". Since you're taking-off tail-heavy, that is how you land. One final clincher that points to an uneven weight distribution is seen in 'start'. Here, you can clearly see that the entire front of the board is off of the water. Naturally, this position is carried through the whole trick.

I had this same problem on my switch side. What helped me to center my weight was:
1. good toeside edge-out; make sure I'm evenly weighted before I even start the trick
2. make a conscious effort to weight my left (front foot), making sure BOTH of my knees are bent the same amount
3. look down the line at the ball on top of the tower; for some reason, this also seems to keep my weight centered

All in all, you look pretty good. I hope this helps. And to quote a good friend of mine, after you get these dialed, "learn them switch!"

Good Luck
Rick
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-25-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
I think I suffer from this disease also. What pills or over the counters will work to make this go away?? lol. Thanks Rick. I just kept blaming the driver. lol