Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-04-2014, 6:30 PM Reply   
I am thinking about updating my ITunes selection ( I am still in the 90s so its gonna cost a bit to update). I use Spotify and Pandora at home. Spotify is the free version but, I am currently paying for Pandora.

I am leaning towards starting free Spotify to access my playlist, cancel Pandora and ignore ITunes.
The only issue I see is we boat and travel in areas with limited cell coverage.

Want to see what everyone is doing. How bad are the commercials on Spotify's free mobile app?
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-04-2014, 6:51 PM Reply   
I use the free version of Slacker radio and like it a lot. Don't notice the commercials.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-04-2014, 7:29 PM Reply   
I dont know about the others, but IF you went with the paid version of spotify, you can DL everything, therefore cell coverage would not be an issue. Not sure if you can download on pandora, slacker, etc...
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-04-2014, 9:25 PM Reply   
I pay the $10/mo for spotify. I load my main playlists onto my phone so my data plan isn't eaten up by streaming. I'm not sure about pandora but on spotify you can select the kbit/s so I stream at normal(96kbit/s) and my saved playlists are set at extreme(320kbit/s). If you have a high dollar boat system you can definitely hear a difference between normal and extreme.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-05-2014, 6:55 AM Reply   
I don't use any of those. The bit rates are not high enough. I run a minimum of 1411 but most of mine are at 1536. I find a song I like then do a search for a high bit rate on line.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       05-05-2014, 8:32 AM Reply   
I use Pandora. I used to use Spotify.
The reason I used to use Spotify and still use Pandora is because you can't use the Spotify app on mobile at all unless you pay, not even for free radio. You just can't do anything.
I liked that you can pick most songs and make a playlist, but at 2-3 times what Pandora costs (2x now, 3x when they had the yearly subscription) it wasn't worth it to me.
I just download the songs I like from my computer onto my phone if I wanted certain song. For mixed commercial free internet radio, Pandora is worth my $3.99/mo. Also my cable box plays Pandora, so it is good to have on in the background at home when you're hanging out or for parties.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2014, 9:04 AM Reply   
I use Itunes and Beats Radio. I have tried all the others and they seem to really play the same thing over and over. For us it seems like the variety with Itunes is solid and sounds good.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-05-2014, 9:05 AM Reply   
i'm in the spotify camp - use their premium service.
Old     (nautibouys)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-05-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
MOG is pretty good. Its $9.99 a month but the highest bit rate of any of the music services I know of at the present time. Allows you to search for and download songs, which Pandora doesn't do.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-05-2014, 9:44 AM Reply   
rdio

- social collaboration for both building combined playlists or just getting song suggestions based on what friends are listening to
- offline mode
- import itunes playslits
- listen to entire albums
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-05-2014, 10:51 AM Reply   
Spotify premium is amazing
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-05-2014, 12:12 PM Reply   
Beats Music.!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-05-2014, 12:21 PM Reply   
I use Spotify Premium and I love it

I set my "starred" items to be available offline, have a bunch of radio stations and a bunch of go-to playlists that I've found.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       05-05-2014, 7:22 PM Reply   
Anyone use IHeart Stream?
Old     (dvsone79)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-05-2014, 9:07 PM Reply   
+1 for Spotify. The $10 monthly fee is worth it considering I never have to buy a song again. And the $10 allows you to backup your playlists to your phone so cell coverage isn't necessary. I'll never use iTunes again.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-05-2014, 9:42 PM Reply   
One more for Spotify. I leave it open on my phone and anyone who wants to pull up a song can do so... That is until they play something terrible and they lose DJ privileges

I'd say it's well worth the $10. If you listen to just one new album a month, it's paying for itself!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-06-2014, 5:43 AM Reply   
+1 for beats. If you are on an ATT family plan it's the best value going.
Old     (BlitzedVLX)      Join Date: Feb 2011       05-06-2014, 7:17 AM Reply   
Spotify is great! I love being able to add songs to playlists with ease. I listen to it while at work and if I hear a song that I like I add it to my "boat tunes" playlist. For the party cove I have a "Clean boat tunes" playlist that is suitable for everyone to enjoy without bad language. Spotify also allows you to follow playlists created by others and they have top 100 charts that you can also follow like the billboard top 100.

Last edited by BlitzedVLX; 05-06-2014 at 7:20 AM.
Old     (WakeJp12)      Join Date: Apr 2013       05-06-2014, 8:45 PM Reply   
get spotify premium, it's worth every penny!
Old     (NoNceNse)      Join Date: Nov 2013       05-07-2014, 3:07 PM Reply   
Due to there being no cellular service on half of our lake, I ended up getting SirusXM satellite radio with the removable player. I was already paying for it in my car so an additional plan is only like $9. Plus since its removable my truck can get in on the satellite action too and will be great for camping deep in the mountains.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-10-2014, 3:32 PM Reply   
I use the google play music app. Just like spotify, but it goes to my computer automatically and if I dl soe thing on my computer it goes to my phone automatically. And you can save any song you want from the google play store, costs like 9 bucks a month
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       05-13-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
Spotify x100. We have spotty coverage on our lake so having playlists ready to go is nice. For like 8 bucks a month I don't have to hear a 3 min commercial riding around the lake