Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-25-2015, 1:42 PM Reply   
I just took a new position that will require a lot of travel for work. It will be an close mix of flight and car travel. I get a monthly vehicle allowance along with a gas card for road. Anyone else travel for work. Just looking for tips on making travel living away from home smoother and anything to consider for taxes ect. Also, I am married (wife works night shift) and no children, that will make this much easier. I have never been to a wake park but I think I will be scoping them out at my destinations. Any suggestions and or experiences are greatly appreciated.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-25-2015, 2:42 PM Reply   
I used to travel like 50% of the time, here are some things that made my life easier -

* If they allow it, open a personal credit card just for your travel. A company card (least mine) effected my credit but didn't get me points .... earn points / miles on them

* Bring workout clothes and use hotel gyms .... traveling = eating out a LOT, you'll get fat quick if you don't keep up with things

* Chromecast is a great thing to make hotel TV more enjoyable (or an HDMI if your laptop has an HDMI out).

* If flights are common, get TSA Pre-check

* reddit is an awesome way to find out whats going on in cities you'll be in for a week / weekend
Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-25-2015, 2:56 PM Reply   
Tinder.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-25-2015, 6:40 PM Reply   
I traveled on a regular basis for a few years, one thing that I developed a liking to was hotels that had a bar and served some type of food onsite (not just breakfast). Hilton garden inn, courtyard mariott, etc... After a day on the road, meeting customer, then driving multiple hours so your in the right town the next day... its nice to just go down to the onsite amenities and not worry about finding a place to eat.

and tinder
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-25-2015, 10:34 PM Reply   
I travel a ton for work and everyone in my field has become points whores. As mentioned, get a credit card that has some sort of rewards and use that for all of your travel expenses. Sign up and stick to one hotel brand as much as possible. Marriott has a ton of properties under their umbrella. Stick to one airline and rental car place and sign up for their rewards program.

It may not seem like much but it will start to add up fast. I have not paid for a personal flight, rental car, hotel or vacation since 2010 out of pocket and still have more points than I know what to do with. Company and clients pay all the expenses...you get all the perks and points.

Make sure that your company maximizes your per diem. It changes for each city and it is tax free money to offset your meals and incidentals.

Keep track of every mile you drive your personal car for work and document each trip.

...and TSA Precheck will be the best money you ever spent. Go sign up tomorrow.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       03-25-2015, 11:42 PM Reply   
If you do any international travel at all or think you might you can go for Global Entry. Best $100 I ever spent. Applied, got pre-approved, 2 minute interview (the guy just shoots the sh** while waiting for your fingerprint results to come back) and done - and it automatically includes TSA pre.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2015, 11:11 AM Reply   
Used to go to China twice a year and agree with Shawn

I got 17,000 bonus miles every trip just for the ticket not counting everything else that racked up miles. It didn't take long to add up at that rate.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-26-2015, 12:09 PM Reply   
if you're going to be going back and forth to the same place, some hotels will store your luggage for you so you don't have to drag it w/you just to return the next week. A lot of consultants in my field will be on site Monday thru Thursday, work from home on Friday and they're back on site again on Monday sometimes for months at a time. So they'll just leave their bags at the hotel.
oh, and congrats on the new job.

Last edited by snyder; 03-26-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-26-2015, 3:41 PM Reply   
Ya'll a bunch of bad influences. Married guy asks for travel advice and Tinder keeps getting thrown out.

I would probably say, post up in the find a third area if you're going to an area with wake and meet some chill people off the site here to ride with while in different parts of the country. I imagine you'll probably be frequenting a lot of the same places again over the years. It's always good to have some bros where you go.
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-26-2015, 3:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post
t's always good to have some bros where you go.
He would then need Grinder...not Tinder!
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-26-2015, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
He would then need Grinder...not Tinder!
Not what I meant *facepalm*
Old     (obriengotwake)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-26-2015, 5:37 PM Reply   
Thanks. Would cash back be a better option in a credit card? I do not travel much by plane for pleasure. I think this along with hotel rewards will help a ton. Do you use any apps to help record mileage and other expenses?
Old     (airbeast)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-03-2015, 9:53 PM Reply   
That's my life (bizjet pilot). I drive 2 hours to work, then fly.

What kind of work are you doing?

I guess it depends on how much time you have to spare while you're away. In my case, it's totally random. Sometimes I'm on a day trip, other times I could be in one place for a few days with no flying and do as I please. When I first started this job, everywhere I went, I explored and looked at the sites. Now that I've been pretty much everywhere, I realize that 70% of the country isn't much to look at. I hate cities so unless I'm out in nature, most of the time I end hibernating in the hotel, which I actually enjoy. Other than wakeboarding in the summer, I've not had a day of rest at home in years. I'm so covered up with projects and working on rental houses, it's nice to get to a hotel and do nothing. Good time to do computer work. Lately I've been doing CNC machining, so it's a good time to work on cad. Also, good time to mess with stocks since I can hang around the computer all day.

If I end up some place cool, I'll still do what's there. My girlfriend is also able to ride along sometimes. Cable park, mountain bike, windsurf/kiteboard, snowboard. I don't really like the Bahamas, but I love them when there is wind. I bring my kiteboarding stuff and cruise miles of completely empty beaches (if you're not on Nassau). My favorite is Normans (the one from the movie Blow). Airport, restaurant on airport, and a few houses, Hobie and kayaks. Free to roam however you want. That was really fun. Spent a whole day sailing the Hobie all over the islands. Most of the time it's not windy though. Then it's boring.

This spring sorta sucks too. ACL surgery in December. Several trips to the Rockies, windy beaches, OWC, and I can't do anything. Was in Colorado, dumping snow, drove my copilot and girlfriend to the slopes. They kept coming in saying how amazing it was out there. I sat and played on the computer in the lodge for 2 days. Damn it!

Overall I like traveling. Guys with kids sure hate it though.
Old     (Tryathlete)      Join Date: Mar 2015       04-04-2015, 5:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
Used to go to China twice a year and agree with Shawn

I got 17,000 bonus miles every trip just for the ticket not counting everything else that racked up miles. It didn't take long to add up at that rate.

Yeah that's coming to an end for you unless you fly in business class. Revenue based FF programs are killing that cow. If you are a medium intensity flyer those Asia trips will pay a lot less mileage. I used to get 28000 miles for me every trip, but with revenue basis, it's only 11,000 to 17.000. Oh well. Good thing is local, last minute flights in the US pay more. $600 flight pays 6600 miles, used to generate 3600. Balances out if you spend more.