Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-04-2015, 1:32 PM Reply   
I'm one of those guys, like I'm sure a lot of us are, who like to drink energy drinks from time to time. I'll probably drink 2-3 a week, more if I'm going out on the river. A little extra boost doesn't hurt before your sets.

There are tons of choices out there. I was talking with my wife about what she likes and why, and she confused me, as she often does. She prefers regular or sugar free Red Bull.

Now Red Bull, you can normally get for a deal like 2x 8oz cans for $5. It has a decent amount of caffeine and a little bit of other stuff, B Vitamins, etc.

I tend to prefer Rockstars, mainly the Endurance or the Pure Zero flavors. These actually have a noticeable affect on my energy level. The Recovery line is nice, but is more for some caffeine to nurse hangovers and whatnot. Rarely will I get the regular line, even though they have so many delicious flavors. Either way, you are looking at 2x 16oz cans for $3, with more support supplements in it than a Red Bull has.

I will drink the sugar free Monster line as well as the Rehabs from time to time at the same price as Rockstars. They are pretty comparable to the Rockstar line. It can be hard to tell what kind of flavor your getting on a lot of them and some of them are just awful tasting. I do hear there is this elusive rare flavor that tastes like a Margarita, I still want to try that. Rockstar has a frozen lime one out now that tastes like one though.

Anyway, my wife will say she wants an energy drink and I'll go grab a pair of Rockstars. She drinks them (especially the pink one) but gets upset that I didn't get Red Bulls. I cannot convince her that Rockstars or Monsters are better, a better value, and the price is just marketing since they were the first.

That being said, what is your go to energy drink and why?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-04-2015, 1:36 PM Reply   
I think some of these just taste better than others. I personally like the taste of Red Bull over Monster/Rockstar/etc. I don't drink them that often because none of them really do anything for me.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-04-2015, 1:44 PM Reply   
Strong Black Coffee (Starbucks French Roast when I make it at home).
Old     (spencercoon)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-04-2015, 1:54 PM Reply   
Water
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-04-2015, 1:54 PM Reply   
COFFEE!!! Way better for you! Studies on those energy drinks are pretty alarming.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2015, 2:29 PM Reply   
Energy drinks are poison. Water FTW, coffee if you have too.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-04-2015, 2:37 PM Reply   
I just toss back a beer while riding my board. It's best when I get someone on the boat to toss it to me mid set.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-04-2015, 5:12 PM Reply   
ok REDBULL is amazing.

But those are all terrible for you.

Coffee with a spash of 2% FTW....
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-04-2015, 5:35 PM Reply   
I love the Rockstar Recovery series, specifically the lemonade ones. Non-carbonated, low sugar/calorie and tastes really good cold IMO. Rockstar put out a new organic energy drink too that I was pretty impressed with and dons the USDA organic seal, which theoretically means organic caffeine natural flavors and no GMOs. Haven't seen a study on them yet though.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       03-04-2015, 6:25 PM Reply   
1.Black coffee with sugar
2.Iced tea... might work the best for fast energy.
3.If I'm going for an ass kicker of a ride I might load this up Tailwind
I will sometimes have a red bull but its usually to curb the mid day craving for alcohol, I don't know how that works for me but it does... If you really want fast energy for like a hard 2 hour push I would consider pre-workout drinks like Jack3d or C4 extreme as they seem a little more concentrated and may contain less sugar. I'm not advocating the use of them but if your going to **** in your body to try and make it perform better you might as well put in the most potent **** you can find...
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-04-2015, 6:51 PM Reply   
Studies bro!! Studies!! The hell with it I'll just Mack out a quarter gram of some blowzang and make it happen!!
I know how to party!
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-04-2015, 9:18 PM Reply   
Sadly, I have been drinking an energy drink every weekday for the last few weeks.

I'm on the home stretch of completing my Teaching Credential and it is kicking my butt. Waking up at 5, 2 hour commute, at the school til 3:30 unless I am helping a kid or collaborating, then I'm at the university for my own classes, get home between 8-9, then spend the rest of the night planning for the upcoming lessons, grading papers, emailing parents, checking wakeworld, and then doing my own homework and working on my final project. I am averaging 4 hours of sleep a night and I cant adjust to it.

I love regular Red Bull. A 12oz can gives me the perfect amount of energy, it has the best flavor, and I dont feel weird or gittery. But it is way more expensive so I rarely get Red Bull.

AMP is my second choice. The regular flavor is my second favorite behind Red Bull, and it is generally 2 for 4. A lot of gas stations dont have it though.

Regular Rockstar is my third choice. The flavor is ok, but it gets the job done. I definitely feel a little off throughout the day though. Probably shouldnt be drinking it, but I need the it!

I've tried to like coffee throughout my life, but I just hate the way it tastes. Even all the crazy coffee drinks dont do it for me.
Old     (davedidonato90)      Join Date: Mar 2013       03-05-2015, 3:42 AM Reply   
Im more of a rockstar guy, love the endurance one with BCAAs. That girly monster one is good too.. the white, blue or red can. Always go for low sugar, sure it has aspartame but one can or 2 cans a week won't kill you compared to people drinking 3-4 cans of diet coke a day. Everything these days are bad for you, don't drink energy drinks they are bad for you, why? sugar? aspartame? adrenal stress? drinking 3 XL Lattes from Starbucks isn't the best either. You probably shouldn't wakebard either, you might get hurt, might be sore the next day for work. Probably shouldn't go to the gym today, i workout yesterday and am a little sore and don't want to over due it. Lets all just stay inside drink water, not have fun, not take risks because everything out there is the devil....

Moderation is the key folks, don't drink 4-5 energy drinks a day. Sure Ive done it on a road trip from Ontario to Orlando when I drove 19 straight hrs i had 4 small redbulls which only have 80mg of caffeine which is less than a coffee.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       03-05-2015, 10:37 AM Reply   
My routine:
Wake-up 4:15AM, preworkout, gym at 5:15
Get to work at 6:30
Grande Americano at Starbucks at 8AM
Monster Rehab tea+lemonade 2PM
Leave work at 6
Get home 6;30-7
Bed 8:30

Ugh.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       03-05-2015, 10:41 AM Reply   
Has anyone seen how much some monster energy cans go for on ebay? WTF people collect anything I guess.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Collect...item25a158011e
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Java-Mo...item339ed12537
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8oz-Monster-...item3a9683354c
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Monster...item234a24bc1a
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-05-2015, 11:13 AM Reply   
Id buy them and drink them!
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       03-05-2015, 12:12 PM Reply   
I din't realize this site was full of people who take really great care of their body, good to know.

For me if I'm going the energy drink route Red Bull original if my favorite just used to the taste now. The new Cranberry & Lime flavors are money by the way! Also just tried an Orange flavored one and if you mixed that with say Whipped flavored Vodka that would be a great cocktail for the heat of the summer out on the water.

If i'm just getting something for taste those Monster Rehab tea+lemonade is my other go to
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-05-2015, 1:13 PM Reply   
White Monster FTW
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-05-2015, 1:29 PM Reply   
I personally can't stand the taste of Red Bull unless it is with Jagermeister. Any of the regular energy drinks flavors are a huge turn off to me. They taste like cough syrup IMO.

I do drink coffee from time to time, but it does nothing for me. Black, two sugars, just enough to bring out the flavor of the beans, but it has to be nice coffee. I won't drink any of that sugary fancy drinks from coffee places and their regular blends just taste bad to me. If it's not fresh ground and brewed right then from some decent beans, I won't bother.
The coffee blends of the energy drinks are pretty tasty, not as thick as regular iced coffee drinks.

For me, I see it as a cost vs benefit thing. If I'm just thirsty I drink water, sometimes with some powerade mix in it. If I'm tired, I go for an energy drink. I don't bother with anything that I have to choke down or that doesn't have any benefit to me. Red Bull doesn't have much of an effect, regular caffeine drinks like Coke, Jolt, Bawls, Full Throttle, Amp, etc. don't do anything either.

The best effect is from the Endurance with BCAAs, if they don't have that, I go to my second choice of pure zero. If they don't have that, or it's more than 2/$3, then I go to Monsters. I'm cheap and just want stuff to work.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-05-2015, 1:55 PM Reply   
I will occassionally grab a sugar free red bull, but that is a rare, rare thing. those energy drinks have waaay too much garbage in them.
I try to stick with water, herbal teas, apples, or if I have any of it lying around, Purps. Purps is all natural supplements founded by Kelly Slater, and a couple other guys. hard to get in my town though.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-05-2015, 2:26 PM Reply   
I guess if you wake surf you don't need energy. I mean,a old lady can do it.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       03-05-2015, 2:44 PM Reply   
I can't stand coffee. I would literally spit it out if I had to drink even a sip.

I don't drink many energy drinks, and only started recently. We got a bunch of freebie Monsters at the Wake the World event of all places!

My fav is hands down the Rockstar Lemonade. You can get them in the 4 pack at Walmart and they work out to $1.50 each.

I think the regular Monster tastes like sweet cough syrup. But on occasion I'm down for that.

As you know my goto soda is Orange Sunkist because I like sweet sodas and the Sunkists are the only orange sodas that have caffine so I'll take those over crush.
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       03-05-2015, 2:54 PM Reply   
Another reason I enjoy the occasional energy drink is actually social. I don't like the taste of beer or even wine. And when you're out on the boat, or even when you go over to someone's house to hang out, there's a lot of the time when people are expecting you to partake in your "vise". for the vast majority it's beer. I do enjoy the occasional mixed drink, but I'm pretty much always the driver and honestly most the time I don't feel like drinking alcohol.

Now, I really do whatever I want and don't have anything to prove to anyone. So plenty of times I'm having a soda while everyone else pounds beer. But it is nice on occasion to go on the boat or to a superbowl party and not be that person that sticks out because they're drinking a soda instead of a beer. For some reason in a world where people 'unwind' my partaking in their "Vice" of choice, it's more socially acceptable to be drinking an energy drink rather than a root beer.

At least I feel less self conscious. Again, I am not all about peer pressure or what others think of me. Just sometimes it's nice to have an alternative that doesn't stand out like soda does in a world of beer.

Also, have you tried the Red Bull other flavored editions? I think I tried the Cranberry and it was better than the normal stuff.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-06-2015, 6:46 AM Reply   
Stuff is awful for you. Sugar and chemicals. I never claim to be 100% healthy all of the time, but energy drinks is on my list of very bad ****.
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       03-06-2015, 7:33 AM Reply   
Coffee with a splash of breast milk... FTW
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-07-2015, 10:05 PM Reply   
IMO using energy drinks for a regular boost is setting yourself for adrenal fatigue. If you need them regularly consider changing your lifestyle or diet for your own long term health.
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-07-2015, 11:44 PM Reply   
Juice some veggies and fruits or grab a water
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-08-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
I prefer monster. The coffee flavors are my favorite... The Irish cream or vanilla light. I also like the ultras (white ,red, blue ). I hate the taste of red bull
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-08-2015, 9:30 AM Reply   
I use a magic bullet almost every morning - carrots, kale/spinach mix for 1st half, banana and fill the rest with frozen mixed blue, black and strawberries from costco. Top it off with some hemp seed or pine nuts and then orange/apple juice and some water. Sometimes I put in yogurt if I've got it. Blend it up, and it's a great start to the day. I like the magic bullet cuz it's quick and just takes a quick rinse to clean up.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-08-2015, 10:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by iShredSAN View Post
Coffee with a splash of breast milk... FTW
Superfluous use of the word breast.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-08-2015, 11:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettw View Post
I use a magic bullet almost every morning - carrots, kale/spinach mix for 1st half, banana and fill the rest with frozen mixed blue, black and strawberries from costco. Top it off with some hemp seed or pine nuts and then orange/apple juice and some water. Sometimes I put in yogurt if I've got it. Blend it up, and it's a great start to the day. I like the magic bullet cuz it's quick and just takes a quick rinse to clean up.
Most Californian thing I've read all day.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-08-2015, 1:25 PM Reply   
Magic bullet and similar are fantastic IMO
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-11-2015, 11:38 AM Reply   
I ordered some Purps and tried that. Mmmm, ok, maybe it worked for me? Pretty pricey stuff for a maybe. Their shipping & handling was almost as much as the product. Taste isn't very good at all either.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-11-2015, 1:39 PM Reply   
Used to drink Red Bull daily. Switched to Monster Juiced's Kaos, now on the very rare occasion of having anything it is the Rockstar Lemonade or Orange, best on the market. This is because they are non-carbonated. People can do what they want, but in addition to everything stated already, they destroy your teeth (might as well brush while drinking), and I don't find it a coincidence to hear that the first wakeboarder to be sponsored by Red Bull and basically bring it to America had major stomach ulcers.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-11-2015, 3:22 PM Reply   
I went through a phase of drinking 2 cans of monster per day Monday through Friday and topped the week off with redbull vodkas on the weekend. After about a year or so of that I began to have some serious issues like tingling and numbness in my arm as well as trouble breathing and other heart attack like symptoms. After that I quit drinking them for a long time. I still love the taste of redbull but limit my intake to one small can once a month or so. Moderation is key for sure.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-11-2015, 6:31 PM Reply   
Coffee
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-11-2015, 6:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
I can't stand coffee. I would literally spit it out if I had to drink even a sip.

I don't drink many energy drinks, and only started recently. We got a bunch of freebie Monsters at the Wake the World event of all places!

My fav is hands down the Rockstar Lemonade. You can get them in the 4 pack at Walmart and they work out to $1.50.

I think the regular Monster tastes like sweet cough syrup. But on occasion I'm down for that.

As you know my goto soda is Orange Sunkist because I like sweet sodas and the Sunkists are the only orange sodas that have caffine so I'll take those over crush.

These are orange. Kind of tastes like orange soda and orange creamcicles to me.

Also, the flavored redbulls are good, but their small and expensive #SJ

Last edited by phathom; 03-11-2015 at 7:01 PM.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-11-2015, 6:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidarider View Post
I went through a phase of drinking 2 cans of monster per day Monday through Friday and topped the week off with redbull vodkas on the weekend. After about a year or so of that I began to have some serious issues like tingling and numbness in my arm as well as trouble breathing and other heart attack like symptoms. After that I quit drinking them for a long time. I still love the taste of redbull but limit my intake to one small can once a month or so. Moderation is key for sure.
Your lucky that's all that you got. I had a coworker who drank 3-4 a day religiously. I had to take him to the ER from a jobsite because he was collapsing and in terrible pain he couldn't walk.
Kidney stones.
If you drink these like most of us do, drink as much water per day as you do energy drinks or it'll catch up to you.
Old     (viking)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-11-2015, 8:25 PM Reply   
They are REALLY bad for you. I will still have one on occasion and like to have me a Sparks every now and then!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-12-2015, 8:13 AM Reply   
There was a guy at my last job who drank 3-4 energy drinks per day and one day an ambulance shows up and he thought that he was having a heart attack. Turns out, it was more like a caffeine overdose from drinking 6 or 7 in 1 day.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-12-2015, 4:01 PM Reply   
^WOW! Everything is bad if you have too much of it, water, caffeine, nicotine, watersports, sunshine, oxygen, etc. Moderation is definitely a must. If you have so much caffeine you're shaking and can't sleep, you're doing it wrong.