Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-05-2015, 1:20 PM Reply   
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retir...0CwO?ocid=iehp

Wow.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-05-2015, 1:57 PM Reply   
i hate number 2 ... i plan to retire at 35-40 and was gonig to use the Roth IRA conversion ladder to convert IRA funds to Roth funds that could be used in 5 years .... just killing things off.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-06-2015, 6:40 AM Reply   
I know I'm wrong to not be planning for retirement but I just don't see it being possible to in this new society. My home will be paid off, I will prob 100-150k in my 401k & possibly 100k in my IRA by then so I'm hoping between that, house paid off, social security I would be able to at least not work, maybe. But I lost my dad to cancer at 58 & it made me realize I am going to enjoy my money, my kids and worry about it later. I can't have a do over or get this time with them back. And it's not like I am going to want to do the things I do now when I'm 60.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-06-2015, 7:13 AM Reply   
you dont have to lead a boring life to save for retirement you just have to make smart choices about how you spend you money.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-06-2015, 8:15 AM Reply   
You want to know what would kill your retirement investments? Just go to a flat tax or national sales tax. No tax break for investing would decimate the stock market and destroy all the defined benefit retirement plans held by gov and many corps. Then the CEOs would actually have to earn their pay instead of using diverted govt tax revenue to enrich themselves.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-06-2015, 8:38 AM Reply   
Because all CEOs are evil profiteering fat cats that are overpaid and underworked. Give me a F&^king break.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-06-2015, 8:39 AM Reply   
You want to know what would kill your retirement investments?"

Or large swings in the stock market???
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-06-2015, 10:28 AM Reply   
You'll have to get your own break. Removing the tax benefit for investing in the stock market would cause a large swing. That was my point.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2015, 9:46 PM Reply   
Or find a job that is fun. If you truly love what you do there is no benefit in stopping at 40
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-07-2015, 1:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
I know I'm wrong to not be planning for retirement but I just don't see it being possible to in this new society. My home will be paid off, I will prob 100-150k in my 401k & possibly 100k in my IRA by then so I'm hoping between that, house paid off, social security I would be able to at least not work, maybe. But I lost my dad to cancer at 58 & it made me realize I am going to enjoy my money, my kids and worry about it later. I can't have a do over or get this time with them back. And it's not like I am going to want to do the things I do now when I'm 60.
+1
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-08-2015, 6:28 AM Reply   
I doubt that a flat tax would discourage average people from saving, John. I do my best to save as much as I can for rainy days. However, it may encourage wealthy investors to look elsewhere to park their money. IMHO the sad part is the US Gov. takes in plenty of money but feels obligated to redistribute money as opposed to doing their “real” job of providing infrastructure, security, and education. Unfortunately, for us taxpayers, the mice are now in charge of the cheese and they are hungry.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-08-2015, 8:55 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure that eliminating any tax advantages for pensions would significantly cut the amount of people investing in the market. Of course there is only one way to know, but my money is on a big dive in the market if it happened.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-08-2015, 9:23 AM Reply   
Having a sudden shift of money from the market could definitely have consequences for most people's retirement, but if the changes were not "over night" and properly implemented, it might work without much backlash, but this is the government we are talking about. Regardless, your point is excellent and something I had never thought about.