Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-05-2015, 7:12 AM Reply   
This actually looks promising http://www.marketwatch.com/story/rep...lan-2015-02-05
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-05-2015, 7:41 AM Reply   
I'm no fan of the health care law as someone who is still uninsured but realized that I don't actually have to pay the fine as long as I don't ever plan on getting a tax refund .... BUT .... I don't see how you could see anything promising from this article. There wasn't any information. I know the proposal is only in outline form but even an outline should have more information than this.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-05-2015, 11:53 AM Reply   
I don't think an appeal of the ACA is possible, so by focusing on tax breaks and caps, this may actual be a good political idea. I've said the ACA was not well thought out to begin with but having some type of compromise may be a better alternative. This attachment explains the idea somewhat http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ace-obamacare/
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       02-06-2015, 4:27 AM Reply   
The Affordable Care Act is a bad law . The plan is to drive up the cost to a point that the government will have to step in and save us with single payer insurance. Then they control your health and therefore your life .
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-06-2015, 10:37 AM Reply   
The only way to fix HC is to destroy it. And the way to destroy it is to make each individual decide to buy HI and pay the bill out of their own pocket without being coerced by tax deductions or employers buying it with no choice to take the money instead of the benefit. When the individual makes the decision themselves there will be competition and a resistance to price hikes by true free market principles. If we don't have the stomach to do that then universal HC will ultimately be the pnly remaining solution to control prices. Everything else the govt is doing only has an inflationary effect.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-06-2015, 10:51 AM Reply   
I don't think that would work. People refuse to buy it, don't go see their Dr. regularly and then wind up in the Emergency Department with the worst case scenario because they let themselves go too long. I work in the healthcare industry and this happens every single day of the week. They then wind up with a bill for thousands of dollars that they can't and don't pay and then we have to write it off as "free" or goodwill.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-06-2015, 11:03 AM Reply   
Pumping money into an industry with no controls doesn't work either. At a minimum there should be a law that an HC provider has to charge the same price for the same service no matter who the customer. If the govt is going to give tax revenue to the HC industry then it should makes some demands that benefit all of the public across the board. And a "fair charge" law would do that.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-06-2015, 11:18 AM Reply   
that's exactly what should have ben done from the beginning John, and not this mess that they didn't even read first.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-06-2015, 11:20 AM Reply   
The answer then Tim, would be to allow only life threatening conditions to be admitted in the ER. All other "emergencies" should be funneled to neighborhood clinics.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-06-2015, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ord27 View Post
The answer then Tim, would be to allow only life threatening conditions to be admitted in the ER. All other "emergencies" should be funneled to neighborhood clinics.
We do that quite often and people are even flagged as habitual offenders.

To give you an idea of how much $ we are talking about, last year we gave away $300 million in free/reduced/charity healthcare and we aren't even a big organization.

If insurance companies made their billing processes easier, you might be able to charge everyone the same rate. Insurance companies get varying rates by promising more visits and such. Insurance company A only insures 50,000 people, Insurance company B insurances 10 million. Insurance company B is going to pay us less because they are giving us more volume. It works just like any other industry. Person A walks in and pays cash/check/card. They might pay less because we don't have to pay someone to file their paperwork to receive funds and then pay someone to do something with those funds once they return.

Capitalism - it's what runs the good old USA.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-06-2015, 12:43 PM Reply   
The biggest problem with the current health care system that the ACA didn't address is on the end of the actual provider. I don't mean the doctors either. I mean the guys who get paid by the hospital to drink scotch with high price call girls in the big penthouse level office for 30 million a year. The guy whose primary job is to hob nob with politicians and give even more money to congress so he can keep his 30 million dollar a year "job". This is where most of our health care money is being spent. I like to pay doctors what they are worth, but the guys actually performing the work are never the ones who get the big paycheck. Medicare and Medicaid both sidestep this by controlling costs. You are only allowed to charge a specified amount for a specified procedure. Many hospitals won't accept these plans because they aren't allowed to rape the customer the way they can with standard medical insurance. I wish I was allowed to buy into these plans. If I could, then I wouldn't be uninsured as I am now. I adopted my kids from foster care so they get Medicaid for free until they are at least 18. We have occasionally had trouble finding providers but it has never been so difficult that I would call it a significant hurdle and I'm quite satisfied with the care they have been receiving. If more people were allowed this as an option, more providers would be forced to accept these plans. The alternative would be to run a high priced hospital at a loss with a bunch of empty beds because so few people would be willing to buy the type of over priced insurance that covers their gluttony.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-06-2015, 1:03 PM Reply   
"I mean the guys who get paid by the hospital to drink scotch with high price call girls in the big penthouse level office for 30 million a year. The guy whose primary job is to hob nob with politicians and give even more money to congress so he can keep his 30 million dollar a year "job". "

Where does one apply for such job?
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-06-2015, 1:25 PM Reply   
Chosen at birth Paul. If you were going to get that job, you'd already know. It's like being a king. You need "royal blood".
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-06-2015, 1:30 PM Reply   
Damn it!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-06-2015, 2:09 PM Reply   
HAHAHA! Dang, I didn't get that job either.