Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chadcis62)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-26-2011, 3:11 PM Reply   
3. Driver standing up while driving. This is almost a rule with I/Os, for some reason almost every driver of an I/O stands when driving.
I take it you have never driven an I/O or outboard, especially an older one that does not have trim tabs or a booster seat. They have a LOT of bow rise, like so much you cannot see in front you at all when getting on plane, you have to stand up to see over the bow, and even when on plane there tends to be a fair amount of bow rise so if you do not have a booster chair which older models do not have even with two seat cushions you are not high enough to safely see over the bow. Even on plane if you slow down the bow rises so as a habit of popping up so the drivers just don’t bother to sit down, especially when pulling a rider where you need to make frequent and sometimes unexpected stops and starts. Unless you are cruising long does it make sense to sit down, otherwise you are standing and sitting, standing and sitting, it is better just to find a comfortable standing position that you do not have to move around a lot with then to play musical chairs.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-26-2011, 3:17 PM Reply   
I can vouch for that...in my parents brand new 24' i/o I cant see over the bow when seated and Im 6' tall.

With our malibu, I had to always use the bolster seat. Couldnt see jack on the vride while towing a boarder with the ballast or wedge down.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-26-2011, 3:47 PM Reply   
My dad the Wally.

This happened this weekend at the Texas Mastercraft Customer appreciation and demo day.

My dad (who we refer to as Silverback), is in his 50's and didn't earn the silverback status by accident. Long story short. He has a 27' I/O with captains call and all the BS. He only know two throttle positons on that boat. Engine off, or WFO. He's in the market for a new boat, and I've been trying to get him in an MC X-45 for a while now. Finally get him over there. He want's a big boat, and I want him to get a wake boat so I don't have to tow my boat everyweekend up to the lake cabin to MAYBE ride. The salesman took us out in the X-55 first ,and the salesman is a good friend of mine. He idles us out of the marina and gets up from the driver's seat about half way through the no wake zone. My dad sits down. Remember we are not out of the no wake zone yet, and the salesman has not even gotten past the drivers seat to sit down yet. My dad goes from neutral to WFO and never let off. Throwing the salesman tumbling to the rear of the boat and almost out of it. Looks back, not to see if he's ok, but to shout, "that all she does? 44? that's it? aint worth a ****!" FML
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-26-2011, 4:53 PM Reply   
Is your Dad Rodney Dangerfield?
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-26-2011, 5:14 PM Reply   
^hahahahahahaha.

Bret- has he made a purchase yet?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-27-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
Damn Bret!! I would've lost it...
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-27-2011, 3:58 PM Reply   
@ TY, no not yet. He's pretty set on a Cobalt. Like I said, he didn't earn the name Silverback by caring about anything or anyone else. He's the alpha male and knows everything and can't be told or taught anyting. It's normally funny, that day it wasn't. I don't let him pull me anymore behind my boat because I don't want people associtating my boat with powerturning or being the inconsiderate boater. I've tried to tell him about it but, his response is, "yeah yeah, get in the water. You better be hanging on to the handle when it's tight." Then he goes from idle to WFO, there is a period of doing about 35+ across the water until the PP can adjust itself. Oh well, life goes on.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-27-2011, 4:28 PM Reply   
Your dad sounds like a real peach.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-27-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
Love him to death. But he is set in his ways. Can't change it. Guess it could be worse...
Old     (chadcis62)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-29-2011, 12:04 PM Reply   
Can you call the Wave Runner people that Camp out on/near the boat launch all day Wally's? You know the ones that setup pop-ups and picnic blankets on the beach that flanks the boat launch docks and use the boat launch docks as their person Wave Runner slip for the day. They swim in the second dirtiest water in the lake (I think the water around the gas pumps would be the dirtiest) breath in CO fumes from all the boats being launched and create additional congestion to an area of the lake that is already over congested.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-29-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
yeah we got us a "Freak Beach" too on Tawakoni
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-29-2011, 12:13 PM Reply   
Wally's make the wake industry go-round. Without them, the industry would be too small to support most watersport companies.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-30-2011, 6:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmoomba View Post
same convo - but with this twist "425hp and you don't go over 30?" personal preference due to RPM's at WOT.
if you never take your boat over 30 mph due to being scared of high rpms your motor is not cranking out 425 hp lol
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-30-2011, 11:04 PM Reply   
High rpm = bad fuel economy.
I'm cheap like that....lol
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-31-2011, 6:06 AM Reply   
true that, but everyone once in a while i get a need for speed. i guess i should pull out my dads wave runner when i get a need for speed
Old     (yorwakebordfrend)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-31-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
HAHAHA! yes! I was gonna reply to the post with standing while driving haha so true... its like dude sit down whatre you doing...

you forgot the most obvious one tho.. powerturning.. i just came back from being in Texas for the summer... rode 4 different lakes... the powerturning problem in TX is worse than anywhere
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-31-2011, 10:35 AM Reply   
I don't know about standing while driving being necessary in an I/O. My previous boat, an I/O, planed out in a couple seconds and bowrise wouldn't block my view. If you're talking about your typical Bayliner or other ****box 4-banger or 6-banger econoboat, then yeah I guess it could be hard to see. It's not universal though.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-31-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
i stand in my LSV sometimes if their is alot of debris in the river, being higher up allows me to see further and thus avoid disaster
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-31-2011, 3:21 PM Reply   
Everyone of us has done a Wally move now and then. I would bet money that all the pros have had their share as well. Which brings me to another wally move. Not charging or forgetting to turn off your batteries at the end of your day. In return, leaving boat and sponsored boat owner waiting on launch ramp to get helped for their next time out.
Here's my friends and I lending a hand to Jimmy Wolf! He said he forgot to turn his batteries off last time out. So of course we helped... and made it a Kodak moment.

Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-31-2011, 3:27 PM Reply   
You can really see the enthusiasm in his facial expression with this wally move!
(sorry Jimmy if you come across this pic)
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-11-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
Wally's make the wake industry go-round. Without them, the industry would be too small to support most watersport companies.
I bet the ratio for wakeboard boat owners is something like:

20% - Hardcore Wakeboarders (really use it for what it's intended for)
60% - Casual Wakeboarders (spend alot of time just chilling) <-ME!
20% - Posers (like the 'look' but never really get behind the boat)

my $.02
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       07-11-2012, 8:41 AM Reply   
If you think the tower on a wakeboard boat is a roll cage, you might be a wally!
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-11-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
LOL at these rules. Who cares... Just have fun
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-11-2012, 7:44 PM Reply   
letting your 5 year old stand in front of you holding the steering wheel and driving past me on the right while we’re riding! with no adult hands on the wheel! I understand everyone wanting to go have fun with the family, but safety is # one in my book, learn proper boating procedures and etiqutte, and please don’t endanger others , or yourself while trying to have fun! Oh yea and I hate the lake lice trying to jump my wake while we’re riding! That one really burns me up!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-11-2012, 7:45 PM Reply   
For the record those dangling things hanging off the side of the boat, are called fenders, not bumpers, or bouys!
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2012, 9:00 PM Reply   
im guilty of the over under grip half the time each set just because I grew up a skier and thats how I learned. oh well. I'm no pro or never will be so I will wally it up with an over under grip from time to time.

I hate the wally that pulls his 30 ft cabin cruiser to the little lake you can only go counter clockwise on by my house.
I also hate the wallys that can't follow the rules of counter clockwise and go every which way.

Last edited by ironcross25; 07-11-2012 at 9:06 PM.
Old     (holmes)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-12-2012, 6:58 AM Reply   
44. Loading you boat at night with your headlights on....

I always kindly ask peeps to turn their lights off, but most of the time they are clueless.

Last weekend I cranked a fisherman's boat up for him while his wife sat in the car, no "thank you". He actually checked my work. I have backed many a trailer for women while their moron husband/boyfriend sits in the boat. I have perfected the multi boat dash, hopping from tied up boats at the dock to get our trailer. Most are clueless and in some sort of zone of stupidity, not really their fault, just in the zone.

Have fun, be kind, help someone who doesn't know better......
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-12-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
1. Taking a forever long set till its dark them remembering there are guys still waiting to ride.
2. Not bringing gas money after your forever long set.
3. Maybe even worse... Going out all day, dropping a fiver and feeling good that you paid for gas.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-12-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
*then
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-12-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
I break #3 b/c I can't see $hit out of my windshield when people are in the bow, # 20 b/c I feel like an oompa loompa in a normal vest, #24 b/c I like a good fresh fish taco after a day of riding, and sometimes I wear gloves b/c Im a giant poon.

Anyone hit wakeboarding with a ski rope/handle?

You don't even have a screwdriver on your boat
30 attempts to back your trailer
You put the cooler in the boat after youve backed in
You have home audio speakers presidentially mounted to your tower. Saw this last week and was super impressed by the sound quality of 15 year old radio shack speakers
You have a tower but are boarding off the pylon
You have 4 racks but no wakeboards. Add 2 points if no boards and a tube tied to the sundeck
You have 3 vests for 12 people
You'll argue that your bayliner has the best wake on the lake
Schmirnoff ice on board
18 people all standing up cruising in a 20 year old cuddy
You bought a brand new boat 3 years ago and it has 8 hours on it
You jump in my boat with shoes on

Quote:
2. Not bringing gas money after your forever long set.
3. Maybe even worse... Going out all day, dropping a fiver and feeling good that you paid for gas.
especially after you just watched me put 120 in the tank. A-freaking-men