Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-30-2014, 10:54 PM Reply   
Let's See if we can rally the Wakeboarders here on WW can get be hind this ,Write your assemblyman around the County,,,We're the one who ride the Lakes and Rivers,nothing cooler than seeing a pile of butt ,in the middle of nowhere,because a smoker didn;t want the butts in the boat

Just read a report, 1 billion people now smoke, at 20 a day, thats 20,000,000,000 butts being discarded, A DAY mostly on the ground or in the water if we recycle them @ 2 cents a butt,thats a $400,000,000 bizzz a day,,,$400,000,000 a DAY ,,, any one Need work???Brand New Industry recycling butts

CAPITOL BUSINESS BEAT
Assemblyman wants to see cigarette butt litter go up in smoke

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...#axzz2rehCdkvg

You Know,,Just an Idea

Last edited by da_moose; 01-30-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-31-2014, 4:52 AM Reply   
Illinois just passed a law about cigarette butts. If you throw one out on the ground and get caught it is a $750 littering fine. Per butt.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-31-2014, 6:52 AM Reply   
Bro thats just littering,and that will cost u $1,000 in Cali ,,, how about people picking up butts for $$$ ,like people do with Cans and Bottles
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-31-2014, 7:03 AM Reply   
So you're gonna have people rolling around picking up cigarettes and bringing them to a recycler for 2 cents? Who's going to do that? You'd have to work all day for a $1
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       01-31-2014, 8:54 AM Reply   
Actually hella people will do it just like they pick up cans and bottles.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-31-2014, 9:05 AM Reply   
I totally agree with the idea of making filtered cigs illegal. They can sell separate non-disposable cigarette holders with disposable filters for people who don't care if they look like they are from the 50's. That way they won't casually just toss the filters on the ground without giving it a thought. Make it so the holder needs to be disassembled to change the filter. No quick ejection.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       01-31-2014, 9:13 AM Reply   
I hate cigarettes and all the people who throw them everywhere. Yesterday morning before the sun came up on the freeway 280 all dry grass and hills I saw some **** throw one out the window and I wanted to run him off the road. Huge drought in a country setting for a high fire danger.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-31-2014, 12:25 PM Reply   
Hate Pain Too ,I'll see a guy with a big plastic bag full of cans at 5 cents apiece ,digging though a dirty a$$ trash can for Cans,You can carry more butts @ 2cents a piece,than you can carry Cans@ 5 cents apiece
All you have to do is look on the ground,there alllllllll over the place,,,LOOK for yourself
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-17-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
Can You Guess the Most Littered Item in the World?
http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...the-world.aspx

In 2011, there were approximately 293 billion cigarettes sold in the United States,Times 20 but per pack,,,,Anyone
thats 5.860 Trillion Butts
Still think this is a stupid idea???
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-17-2014, 7:50 AM Reply   
5.860 trillion butts times 2 cents ,,,Anyone???
Thats a $1.172 Tillion a year industry
Anyone need a Job?
Old     (bdew)      Join Date: May 2009       02-17-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
Heres a better idea, from this point on, create a designation on the cigarette that it has a crv attached like a red band around the butt and charge $.50 per cigarette up front. thats an extra $10 when you buy the pack, but you get back when you return all your butts. The red band will avoid a huge windfall of people turning in old butts for money, but will keep the streets clean in the furture. people will not care if the sum is too small, i think most people wouldnt care about throwing $.02 out the window, but you better believe they would think twice about $.50
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-17-2014, 10:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_moose View Post
5.860 trillion butts times 2 cents ,,,Anyone???
Thats a $1.172 Tillion a year industry
Anyone need a Job?
Its 293 billion cigarettes not packs of them and even still your math is off by billions.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       02-17-2014, 11:08 AM Reply   
If the manufacturers of cigarettes would stop putting in crap like arsenic, ammonia, and benzine you wouldn't need the filters in the first place. Before they started doing that and making filters to "make the smoke safer" somehow people smoked for years and years with pure dried leaf tobacco.
I mean seriously, how many people have actual cigars that are filtered? I'm not talking about little cigarillos or anything, but actual cigars. Natural tobacco wrapped in tobacco leaf. I'd want to guess none.
But then again we know that big tobacco is about making money and anything they can do to help them do that by making them more addictive and stretching their product thinner they will do.
I agree about making a butt deposit like they do with cans and bottles. Make them pay up front. If they litter they pay more. If they are clean and don't wreck the environment they don't. The money collected from the unclaimed deposits would then be used for environmental clean up projects.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       02-17-2014, 12:56 PM Reply   
I think almost every state would consider a butt out the window as littering. when was the last time a ticket was written. start a nationwide campaign and you will put money in city coffers for a short time until the word gets around and problem solved. use singapore as a study. litter and it's punishment. litter here and 1/2 the people around you don't care.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-17-2014, 1:38 PM Reply   
I thought it said packs ,,,Your Sooo right
293,000,000,000,,,thats a lot a butts still for 0ne year,that would be $11,920,000,000 a year bizz
ya i can't spell ,but my math is right on
your right 1/2 the people don't care ,,,But 1/2 the People DO CARE
you going to let the pigs run your hood???
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-17-2014, 7:27 PM Reply   
You're also assuming 100% of them get recycled. What's the percentage of cans and bottles that get recycled? I'd bet that it would be at best 50% of that number.

The other thing I'm wondering is what do we recycle them into? Not more cigarette butts? I mean who's gonna buy recycled butts that cost more than I'm certain the cigarette makers pay for them now.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-17-2014, 7:36 PM Reply   
I honestly think its a great idea.
its only a CRV so the government wouldn't be spending money on this besides setting up recycling centers to receive the butts. I don't know if they are recyclable, but at least they would be properly disposed of.

At 2 cents a butt it wont upset smokers too much (any bottled drink in California has a 5 cent CRV already). 2 cents might not be enough for smokers to stop litter all together, but it will get the homeless to help clean up even more. Cigarette butts are disgusting and every where. I would love to see them gone.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-17-2014, 8:32 PM Reply   
Your right 2 Cent is not much ,,and a Smoker's still going to flick his butt,,,
But now you'll have people picking up butts @ 2 cents apiece,thats a $11,920,000,000 a year bizz
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-18-2014, 2:01 PM Reply   
Throwing butts out the window is probable cause for a stop so it happens more than you think.
Old     (sandm01)      Join Date: May 2010       02-18-2014, 3:25 PM Reply   
^out a honda civic with a fartcan at 2am, every time. 2pm on tuesday out a bmw 535, never...
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-19-2014, 11:02 AM Reply   
or just charge something completely insane say 20 or 50 bucks per cigarette as a deposit. Now not only do you have to have 400-1k saved upfront to purchase that. you also pay it for each butt you dont return and when you decide to quit smoking you get a 1k dollar bonus of your own money back. and to start again you have to make a 1k dollar decision is it worth it. no one throws 50 bucks out the window. and if they do the market for picking them up to return would be huge. plus this will make people quit smoking
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-19-2014, 9:51 PM Reply   
Boarder 42, people would start getting stabbed for cigarette butts if that was the case haha.
But maybe the added danger of smoking would cause people to quit... Actually nevermind. Smokers are already cool with dying from cancer, heart disease, and emphysema so they probably wouldn't be cared about being robbed at knife or gun point for cigarette butts.