Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-13-2018, 2:53 PM Reply   
Last weekend my perfect pass suddenly quit working. After some troubleshooting I found the servo motor wasn't rotating, either under its own power or by manually twisting it. It was stuck solidly in place, even when using a wrench to try and apply a bit more force.

I did some searching around the internet and didn't find much useful information or photos related to my specific issue, so I thought I'd share some from my repair job.

First things first, this perfect pass was installed in a 1997 Sanger V210 approximately 5 or so years ago, and in those 5 years we have put approximately 500 hours on the boat. Most of those hours are either wakeboarding or surfing, loaded down with 2000ish Lbs. plus people. The V210 rides low, but even with this much weight on board we don't take water over the bow or stern.

Still we have had trouble keeping the bilge and engine compartment totally dry. It was only recently we realized how much water gets in through the opening in the stern that serves as the blower outlet. Every time we stop and turn around water splashes through, or even if another boats wake hits us in the stern. If the bilge isn't run regularly water pools up rapidly in the bilge. We have made some changes recently to deal with this and it has kept things much more dry, but it seems to be too little too late for the servo motor. The wet environment led to water creeping in and corroding the internals, which is what locked it up.

Just to be clear I don't consider this to be a fault of the servo unit, we should have caught on to the excessive water in the bilge much sooner than we did.

Here is how I fixed the issue.

1. Removed the Servo motor and mounting bracket from the boat.

2. Drill out the rivets. 3/16 bit on this one.

3. Remove the screws that hold the motor together. Note the corrosion, clearly there has been some water in here.

4. Remove the front cover that is pictured above. I had to lightly tap it with a hammer from the back side. Here it is once removed.

5. Remove the back cover. I did this by putting the screws back in, as pictured above, and lightly tapping them to break the back loose. You can see the corrosion and nastiness on the inner part at this point.

Here is a view of the front side with the cover off.

5. Disassemble everything. Here is the exploded view

6. Clean everything up and check that your bearings are still good. I used an aerosol electric parts cleaner and a stiff nylon brush on the corroded motor parts. Sorry I didn't get a pic with everything cleaned up. I also used compressed air to dry everything off before reassembling.

7. Reassemble the motor, then remove the old sealant to make way for the new. Re-seal the joints. I used clear adhesive silicone

8. I also didn't get pics of the reassembled unit. I used rivets to put it back together, but in a pinch you could use #10 sized stainless screws with appropriate thread locking.

I connected the servo motor wires and ran a servo motion test to make sure everything was rotating. After verifying this I mounted everything back up and it ran successfully for an afternoon at the lake. I'll be keeping a close eye on the motor for a while but as of now everything is working!

With more and more people using these older low riding boats to surf I'm guessing there may be others that find themselves with a similar issue. Hopefully this helps.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-14-2018, 4:34 PM Reply   
I spent the $180 and bought a new one. I had the same issue. Make sure you angle your servo motor downward so water doesn't pool into the motor.
Old     (CALIV210)      Join Date: Jun 2015       08-15-2018, 6:26 AM Reply   
Good write up . PP is on the list of things to get for our V210 and this will help us keep things dry .
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-15-2018, 2:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIV210 View Post
Good write up . PP is on the list of things to get for our V210 and this will help us keep things dry .
Last time out I took a foam pool noodle, cut it to the right length, and stuffed it into the opening in the stern while we wake surfed. Noticed a big difference in how much water was getting in. I don't like the idea of closing that opening off permanently but I think I'll continue to do this when boarding/surfing.

I've also been kicking around the idea of a second bilge pump mounted as far back as possible to get the water that pools up while underway. Hopefully blocking the water from coming in from the rear will work well enough that I don't feel the need to do this.

Perfect pass should be at the top of your list for sure, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner!
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-16-2018, 4:33 PM Reply   
Yup...had the same problem in my 06 V215.

PP Tech support said Sangers are notorious for kicking up water when it builds up in the engine compartment creating the corrosion...granted, mine lasted over 10 years but it is apparently a common problem they are seeing.
Old     (steviebslo)      Join Date: Aug 2017       05-08-2019, 12:02 PM Reply   
thanks for the write up - I had the issue on my 08 V215 - went through 2 of them before realizing how to clean and repair myself (PP now has a link to a youtube video on their website that show how to do it too). I read somewhere else that someone had built a shield of sorts to cover the PP and prevent water from getting in, but there were no pictures, so I may try to do this myself and will post pictures if so. Has anyone moved the location of the PP to try to avoid the water getting in there? I did like the idea of turning it upside down to avoid accumulation.