Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       07-10-2017, 4:00 AM Reply   
Just received my trailer back from "The Trailer Guy" In a word "Wow" - Great install, matching powder coated bracket mounted under the bow step.

Most important is how well she rides & breaks now, the truck & trailer now brake as a unit, super smooth over bumps, (No Braking inadvertently) smooth & steady during hard emergency braking. I feel safe again. Plus the added benefit of the trailer brakes work in reverse when backing down a steep ramp! Oh yeah, and the starting "Clunk" is gone!

If you have a boat/trailer package at 5000#'s or above, please consider this conversion - IMO, should be mandatory for these heavy boats! If your in the Cincinnati area, PM me, I'll get you hooked up!
Attached Images

Old     (CPanner)      Join Date: May 2015       07-10-2017, 8:10 AM Reply   
I'm very interested in doing this for my G. How did you "secure" the surge portion of this hitch? Or did you cut it off and replace with a solid one?
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       07-11-2017, 5:23 AM Reply   
We were going to weld the slide tongue to the outer frame, however I opted to just use 2 of these back up buddy's, one on either side. The entire guts of the surge tongue are still intact just in case I ever sell it & someone wants to convert it back to surge brakes.

I removed the strap & painted black to match the trailer.
Attached Images

Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       07-11-2017, 10:21 AM Reply   
This is great, I have been thinking about this on my last few boats. If you don't mind sharing, what did the kit with installation set you back? Looks like the kit can be had for less than $800 if someone was confident enough to do this...I am not, so a ballpark idea if talking to my local trailer shop would be nice.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Actua...S381-9067.html
Old     (mattscraft)      Join Date: May 2009       07-11-2017, 2:04 PM Reply   
Install by an experienced tech is right at $1500, this includes all the wiring, modifications and custom mounting bracket. This also included a full inspection of all the bearings, rotors, calipers & pads.

The install itself is not all that hard, figuring out the wiring is the hard part.

Additionally everything that is bolted to the frame is drilled, tapped, all external wiring is in wire loom.

Last edited by mattscraft; 07-11-2017 at 2:10 PM.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-11-2017, 2:37 PM Reply   
I have done this on several boats. Choosing to tow with an F-150, the power is there, but EOH makes me feel much better. That said, we just towed our SE 550 from Tennessee to California, and that trailer with the 3 axles made me feel almost as good as the EOH on the 2 axle trailers before it. I also live on a mountain at 3000 feet, and the lake is 20 mins away at 800 feet and we go 2x a week, so EOH is a great option.
Old     (Dandy21)      Join Date: May 2016       07-11-2017, 3:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattscraft View Post
Install by an experienced tech is right at $1500, this includes all the wiring, modifications and custom mounting bracket. This also included a full inspection of all the bearings, rotors, calipers & pads.

The install itself is not all that hard, figuring out the wiring is the hard part.

Additionally everything that is bolted to the frame is drilled, tapped, all external wiring is in wire loom.
Thank you sir, I appreciate the feedback.

Funny thing is, the part you think is easy (hooking it up) is what I am concerned with. For me the wiring would be the easy part. I am unsure I could get everything hooked up and bled out correctly to function properly. I guess we all have areas we are comfortable. Too bad I cannot find someone else nearby that could do the mechanical part and I could do the wiring. Or, I can not be a cheap a$$ and take it to a shop to be properly done....yep, I'll do that.