Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-16-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
I don't know if I'm asking a question or if I just bragging on my crew, but lately everyone that I invite on my boat tends to give me way more cash than they should. It is actually kinda awkward when someone hands me a $20 and only took a 10 minute set.

We had a kiddo 2 years ago, so for the previous 3 seasons most of my riding was drop the boat in, ride and take it out. This year we have been inviting people out and I have watched my monthly gas bill drop to zero.

What do you guys do (besides invite him/her out next time) when someone is way too generous with gas money? Especially when all they take is a surf sesh or it is a beginner that is riding with no weight.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-16-2013, 6:38 AM Reply   
That's a great problem to have! But just remember the run hours you put on your boat do end up costing you more than just the gas you put in it! If your into a newer $60,$70,$80 grandwake boat almost every run hour you put on it is costing you atleast $20/hr in depreciation,maint costs and other wear & tear items like impellers and such. I started another thread on this awhile back and some people still don't understand that concept.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-16-2013, 6:40 AM Reply   
Put it this way. If me and you both had the same boat and all I had to do is give you the gas money to ride behind yours for just my sets, I'd take that deal every time! While leaving mine in the garage to live another day!!!!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2013, 7:29 AM Reply   
Have you set fee which covers the average set. Than if you have a rider that is way over a 20-30 minute set than maybe you ask for a bit more. I think if you have set rate than that covers the over/under and is the average.

Damn I remember back in the day when it was $5/set. I bet you $20 barely covers weighted down boat for 30 minutes set with say 5 falls.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-16-2013, 8:10 AM Reply   
we charge $20 for home lake and $30-40 for away trips.
thats per person per day.
we usually ride two 30-40 minutes sets each.
we only run 1600 lbs ballast though.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-16-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
Jason, When I was in college, I had an 88 Malibu Skiier that we would sink to the rub rail. It had a 20 gallon tank and if everyone threw in $5 for a day of riding (2 sets) by friday the tank would be full and we had money for beers for Saturday chilling/surfing.

I don't include any of the fixed costs. I choose to own a boat and even if no one joined us we would still be out there. If I did factor fixed costs in, I live on the water, insurance is only $500/yr, I change my own oil at 50hrs and pay for about $400 for a 100hr service. It also helps that SMG sets me up on a boat every year.

I guess it has been a while since I bummed rides. I had no idea that $20 was the new going rate for a set. I run a 2013 MXZ with about 3500# plus wedge and I probably only burn about $10 for a 20 minute set max.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-16-2013, 8:35 AM Reply   
It's one thing if it's a stranger, in which case 20 bucks a set may be a bit cheap, but I only take friends on my boat and if they give me any money at all then I more than appreciative. Sometimes my friends do try to give me way too much money. I don't expect any of my friends to help me pay for my boat or it's depreciation and maintenance but I don't mind a little help with gas. On a particular away trip I was on a lake that was very low due to damn construction and tried to launch at a boat ramp that wasn't set up for the water level and as a result I damaged my prop getting my boat off of the stranded trailer. I didn't expect any money at all but my friends chipped in enough that I could get my prop repaired. I was the one making the calls on that and it was my fault that the prop was damaged. Similarly, if you choose to buy a new boat that is at the height of it's depreciation level then it is hardly your riding buddy's fault that you made that choice. Generous friends that are willing to chip in a little extra are real friends and shouldn't be treated like customers.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-16-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
Jealous
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-16-2013, 9:12 AM Reply   
Eric, That is why I don't put a price on a ride. I only invite out super-cool people that I want to be around. I've been that guy strapped for cash before and appreciate those who chip-in what they can (even if it is rope handling and boat detailing). A day with friends is worth a little money out of pocket.
Old     (gpd005)      Join Date: May 2013       08-16-2013, 11:09 AM Reply   
I'm a big fan of splitting the cost up of the fuel for sure. But simply helping out while out on the boat also goes a long way. Pulling the rope in and out, taking shoes off when getting in the boat, and just being curtious of my boat also means a lot. We wipe the boat down every time when we pull it out of the water and nothing makes me madder than a buddy just going to sit in the truck while i wind up ropes, clean up the trash, and wipe down my boat. Respect goes a long way with me! i'll be on the water regardless!!!!
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-16-2013, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpd005 View Post
I'm a big fan of splitting the cost up of the fuel for sure. But simply helping out while out on the boat also goes a long way. Pulling the rope in and out, taking shoes off when getting in the boat, and just being curtious of my boat also means a lot. We wipe the boat down every time when we pull it out of the water and nothing makes me madder than a buddy just going to sit in the truck while i wind up ropes, clean up the trash, and wipe down my boat. Respect goes a long way with me! i'll be on the water regardless!!!!
Amen!
The best friend to have on your boat, is the one with a boat. Can definitely tell a boat person by the way they carry themselves on others boats.

To hell with their 15-20 bucks for gas.
The buddy I will invite again is the buddy that cleans up not just their trash,but any trash, helps wipe the boat down, keeps the inside clean and organized through the day, and who knows where a microfiber is all the time to wipe the boat throughout the day.

Helping load/unload/dock/throw ropes. All of the above id take over gas anyday.

(But I am kind of a firm believer that I've already put up the initial investment in the boat, and the truck to tow it with, so the boat owner should cover little cost on the days ride)

Sent from my futuristic Apple device while in my office doing nothing.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-17-2013, 4:19 AM Reply   
JM hit it right. I do appreciate the gas money but I really appreciate the people that help take care of the boat as well. The ones that you do not have to tell to do things they just do it. Some people do not know what to do and that cool I try to ask for help here and there but sometimes it just feels like I am at working telling employees what to do lol.

Also having a few guys that will be in the boat pulling your transmission out with you or helping with the grunt work if the boat does break is awesome.