Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       02-12-2012, 7:56 PM Reply   
I am looking at getting a house on a lake with a boat lift. I will be lliving there myself and would like to get a roommate if possible, but am not sure how easily that would be.

So my question is what would you pay monthly if you had access to a place to stay/live anytime you wanted and to ride an xstar anytiime you wanted? Like it would be your weekend home or something?

I want to do this to help with expenses. There are tons of houses on lakes around here and alot of them are pretty trashy and since i woiuld be living there fulltime i want to find something decent and because of that i know the price for a decent house will be more expensive.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            02-12-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
1st question...what part of the country/lakes are you talking about? That will help guage the price.
Old     (jfergus7)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-12-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
Without a location no one can give you an answer to your question. The cost of living in this country varies so greatly based on location.
Old     (brazosfreak05)      Join Date: May 2009       02-12-2012, 8:24 PM Reply   
this is based in the south houston area. It is on a river that has constant good water.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-12-2012, 10:11 PM Reply   
Kemah clear lake area? I wouldn't pay much for brackish
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-13-2012, 12:40 PM Reply   
4-$500/ mo would be a good guess. How far down south?

the further down south you get the less desireable it is IMO.
Old    alanp            02-19-2012, 9:14 AM Reply   
500-700. depending on the house. availability to a boat is a nice perk. i personally would never allow a roommate to drive my boat.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-20-2012, 6:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
i personally would never allow a roommate to drive my boat.
Make sure your insurance is up to snuff.... I could see an accident becoming a legal issue reaaaal quickly.

... for what it is worth my buddy and I went to stay in Florida one year for a few months and towed our own boat down... it was about $700 in gas to do this each way.... the next winter we wanted to go back but only for like 6-8 weeks so towing a boat wasn't nearly as practical. Ended up getting a pretty sweet setup at Will Christien's place:
Right on a lake in Winter Haven Florida,
we each had our own rooms,
full access to her boat (X-star) - I had come down to meet her before hand and "proved" I could handle the boat/wasn't a total moron,

with that Said Alan's numbers were pretty close to what we paid, but she was in a nice neighborhood besides the gators (there were some BIG ones in her lake), and the house was fully furnished.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-22-2012, 6:06 AM Reply   
Around here a 2BR furnished house on the water runs $125/night during the summer but of course it usually only is occupied about 75 nights a year. ( a decent year)

At those rates, i would lease a 2br for 12 months for anywhere from 600 to 800 / month based on the rental history of that property (desirability).
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-23-2012, 4:35 PM Reply   
Depends on the setup but I'd say $500-$600/mo since it's a roommate deal. Too much more than that and I'd be looking at buying my own place on the water since real estate is cheap now.

Also since you'll be offering use of your boat make sure your roommate had a good driving record and put him on the insurance as a regular driver so you're covered. Maybe stipulate use of boat will include enough to cover your rate increase if it's more than $100. Personally that would have me paranoid unless it was one of the guys I ride with regularly, which means they probably already drive my boat more than I do. lol

Last edited by cadunkle; 02-23-2012 at 4:38 PM.