Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-13-2010, 7:41 PM Reply   
I have been using auto mode for a while and now I want to start using manual mode when filming from the boat.

In auto mode the shutter speed is 1/60, I want to get a cleaner shot but still want it to look smooth at full speed and when I edit it to slow motion ( usually 30-40%).

I was going to start at 1/250 and then adjust from there,
What do you think my shutter speed should be at?

thanks in advance
Old     (Steve_Bates)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-14-2010, 3:29 AM Reply   
Without solid post production software or a camera that shoots higher frame rates, clear slow motion won't happen...no matter what your shutter speed. faster will help, but you will still get ghost frames. Especially if you're at 30-40%.

I rarely shoot anything slower than 1/1000. if it's cloudy...maybe 1/500.
Old     (Candybarmedia)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-14-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
What camera are you on? And as stated before, moving to something that shoots 30p will make slow motion better than 60i, but more preferably shooting 60p is what you really want if your interested in slowing your footage down. I would recommend to just learn how to edit with full speed or higher speed shots... slow down to maybe at most 80%, use faster songs, quicker cuts, and keep in mind the style of editing when shooting.
Old     (JohnnyDefacto)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-14-2010, 4:04 PM Reply   
Panasonic AG-DV30 that I have been shooting in Auto mode at 60 fps, that the shutter speed is set at 1/60 and cannot be programmed.

I am taking it out this weekend to film some riding and will be using it in manual-mode, auto focus (most of the time) but I want to increase the shutter speed and realize I will have to adjust the Iris as well.
Old     (Candybarmedia)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-14-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
Ahhhhh yes... such a great camera. Used to have one. You are not a 60fps however because it is 60i which uses fields instead of full frames. And yes, you will have to open up the aperature when speeding up shutter. Depending on the look your going for this can be a good thing - the lower the f stop, the shorter the depth of field you have. P.S. Panasonic makes the best cameras in terms of all-around performance and build.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-15-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
Thanks for the information. I am new to manual cameras and it all seems like german to me. I never took a photography class where i could have learned about shutter speed and aperture.

I did notice when playing with the iris, i would get numbers going up 2.0, 3.0, and then going down i would see 0, then F stop numbers.

I have no Idea what this means. I guess I will have to adjust this setting once i get the shutter speed I want.

Steve, you think I should start at 1/1000 for shooting from the boat in normal sunlight?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-15-2010, 10:56 PM Reply   
If you want clear shots for slow mo, you're gonna want to shoot at 1/1000 or higher.

What I would do if I were you is find the setting for 'shutter priority.' This way you can select it to shoot at 1/1000 and then it'll automatically adjust the iris for you.