Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jjt23)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-27-2017, 9:22 AM Reply   
I have watched several videos about slowing the boat down to 14 - 15 MPH and practicing surface tricks like rotating the board 180 & 360 degrees. As well as riding on my non-dominate side and even backwards. My question is should I remove all fins on my board before doing this? I ride a 144 cm Ronix Vault with 1" center fins. (the board came with 1.7" center fins but I replaced them because I thought they made the board too stable and prevented me from learning how to deal with the 'loose' feel).

Thoughts?

Also any beginner / practice videos you guys recommend? I am already a member of http://www.learnwake.com.

Thanks!
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       06-27-2017, 9:40 AM Reply   
It would certainly make things easier when trying to break the board loose. To be completely honest, if you've figured out the mechanics of riding behind the boat, I would say remove the fins anyway. Center fins tend to be a crutch that enforces bad edge control because you are more reliant on the fin to steer the board as opposed to relying on the rail to carve. Learnwake and "The Book" are good resources for advancing your knowledge. If you start to try anything new, try filming yourself and compare it side-to-side with the instruction you're researching.
Old     (jjt23)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-27-2017, 9:51 AM Reply   
I know on on cable they don't but do Pros ever use center fins behind a boat?

Is this "The Book" you are referring to - https://www.amazon.com/Book-Box-Set-.../dp/B0009WSV6Y

Is there anywhere to purchase an online version?
Old     (Dustinsnipes23)      Join Date: Aug 2015       06-27-2017, 10:31 AM Reply   
Slow it down to 16.5 and send it! I learned both tantrum and backroll at that speed
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-27-2017, 11:11 AM Reply   
Sorry to take this off-topic a bit, but who are coaches now at Learnwake?
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       06-27-2017, 1:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt23 View Post
I know on on cable they don't but do Pros ever use center fins behind a boat?

Is this "The Book" you are referring to - https://www.amazon.com/Book-Box-Set-.../dp/B0009WSV6Y

Is there anywhere to purchase an online version?
Most pro boards are not equipped with center fins. Usually rely on outer fins or molded in fins. Some may have channels near the center for the tip/tail to direct flow and create a different tracking feel, but for the most part no.

Yes, that's the one I was referring to. I have no idea if there is a web version. One time fee compared to monthly out of pocket with Learnwake.
Old     (jjt23)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-27-2017, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsw View Post
Sorry to take this off-topic a bit, but who are coaches now at Learnwake?
I just checked some of the video analysis and they say Brandon Judd. From a quick Google search I am guessing this is him - http://www.wakeworld.com/news/feature/brandon-judd.html
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-27-2017, 4:13 PM Reply   
Brandon used to do them. If he's back I'll subscribe again. Guess I'll try for a month and see how it is now. Thanks.
Old     (jjt23)      Join Date: Aug 2016       06-28-2017, 4:46 AM Reply   
I am not familiar with the history of Learnwake as I just discovered them last year but I know they got bought out late last year. They removed the forum which was disappointing since it was a good way to connect with other members and instructors. All the videos are still there and Brandon is doing new video analysis from members. The last ones are dated June 1, 2017. The new owner is supposed to be rolling out new videos and content in the coming months.
Old     (Gavin17)      Join Date: Nov 2015       06-28-2017, 10:47 PM Reply   
I have a quad fin board. Should I remove them?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-29-2017, 8:24 AM Reply   
Slowing down to 15mph will make the fins much less resistive to spinning the board on the surface.
Old     (csherbo)      Join Date: Jul 2013       06-30-2017, 6:47 AM Reply   
I teach a lot of kids, and grom boards are almost always 4 molded fins, plus two removable center fins. I will only let them have the center fins for the first couple of sets to get stabilized while they don't have board control. Then I remove them so they can learn proper edging. If you have 4 removable fins, I would not remove them, when boat riding, you do want the 4 side fins, even if doing surface tricks. You just have to learn break them free with good weight distribution and board control. After small 1 wake airs both ways, I teach kids to do surface 180s next so that I can get them riding switch. It is a good foundational place to start.