Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-10-2017, 5:09 PM Reply   
#GOAT
http://www.alliancewake.com/wake/vid...-home-stretch/

from AVE on Vimeo.

Old     (lipslide08)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-11-2017, 3:39 AM Reply   
First off that is the best 45 second clip ever. Second thing is how underrated and undervalued wakeboarding is that as a rider myself and boat owner that I missed this clip from 5 years ago? And the third thing that came to mind was how does wakeboarding reach this level and almost simultaneously lose ground to wakesurfing?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-11-2017, 8:15 AM Reply   
Harley is just unreal. No one since Parks has set the bar so high and been so far ahead. Dowdy and Cory are also right there, but for a couple of year Harley was years ahead.

I haven't seen him do the crow 9 again, but he's been putting our a lot of cool content on FB. This week he landed ts and switch ts 1080 back to back, and he seems to have the Crow 7 on lock.
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-11-2017, 10:32 AM Reply   
Harley also posted up 3 double flips back to back to back. Savage.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-11-2017, 12:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipslide08 View Post
First off that is the best 45 second clip ever. Second thing is how underrated and undervalued wakeboarding is that as a rider myself and boat owner that I missed this clip from 5 years ago? And the third thing that came to mind was how does wakeboarding reach this level and almost simultaneously lose ground to wakesurfing?
I have to agree with your last rhetorical question. The first answer is people are tired of getting injured or don't want to chance it after watching their buddy get wrecked. The second answer is the current young generation hardly takes much risk at all. I took a dozen 20 somethings out last week. 2 wakeboarded. The rest only wanted to surf. I was surprised.
Old     (kmayotte)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-11-2017, 1:27 PM Reply   
While I don't agree to pigeon hole an entire generation as risk averse...I coach freestyle skiing (ages 6-18) and have many young athletes that constantly take large calculated risks in the name of progression. I have 12 year old girls that hit 45-55 ft jumps and boys of the same age doing inverts and corks on those jumps.

I DO agree that wakeboarding is going the way of barefooting due to the risk of injury and the pervasiveness of wakesurfing. SAD!

Watersports "coolness" comes and goes, see kneeboarding, foiling, barefooting etc.

Lucky for anyone decent at wakeboarding. It will always be impressiveness to the people in the boat regardless of the current fad (much like barefooting).

Last edited by kmayotte; 05-11-2017 at 1:32 PM. Reason: edit
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-11-2017, 2:34 PM Reply   
It is so Sad no one really wakeboards anymore. My lake used to be full of competent, decent riders. Now, it is pretty much my wife and I. Hopefully my young children will want to rock it but as of now it a couple of 30 somethings holding it down, while a bunch tubers and wakesurfers going rolling by.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-11-2017, 10:25 PM Reply   
How about the Speedball?! How many years has that been, and has anyone ever landed one again? Harley's doing 3 doubles back to back, but I've never even seen an attempt from anyone but Darin.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-12-2017, 9:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsw View Post
How about the Speedball?! How many years has that been, and has anyone ever landed one again? Harley's doing 3 doubles back to back, but I've never even seen an attempt from anyone but Darin.
Back in the day, both Byerly & Lavelle gave attempts at a Speedball but didn't land it. They are the only riders besides Shapiro that I've seen try it. Obviously, Darin is the only rider to land it, and I haven't seen anyone else attempt one since. If you remember, Darin tried a triple front flip. He got 2.5 times around but never landed it.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-13-2017, 9:33 PM Reply   
Yeah those triple-attempts were nuts! In the best possible way... You'd say with wakes twice as big as back then the Speedball would be a breeze for Harley and Dowdy.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-13-2017, 9:33 PM Reply   
I've been progressively thinking this as well. Hate to see the stoke of wakeboarding eroded by mundane wake surfing ruining the good riding spots. It's easy to write it off as younger generations growing up being more risk averse. But I think the problem is deeper than that. Where did they learn this behavior? From risk averse parents. Wakesurfing is flourishing because any Joe Schmoe can do it without the risk of being broken off. Not defending it, but it is a legitimate point. It takes months/years to progress in wakeboarding where it takes days/months to progress in surfing because the ceiling is so low.
I will keep two boots strapped to my feet as long as I am able, and will pass this desire onto to my children, without a doubt. However, we are a dying breed for the time being. The best we can do is keep shredding, pass the handle, spread the stoke and emphasize the boring nature of surfing. Because, let's face it, the only one enjoying surfing is the one on the board.

Side bar. Top behind the boat:
Harf 1260
Randall Toe back 7
Harley Crow 9

The speedball is impressive and there's something to say to it not being reproduced, but hucking the $#!+ out of a heel front, meh.
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       05-14-2017, 9:40 AM Reply   
https://youtu.be/8iZI6OytrIg

This is insane... he got destroyed. Even if he did make the third rotation I don't know how he would be able to stop the momentum and keep from going over the front of the board
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-15-2017, 7:41 AM Reply   
Went out this weekend and it was pretty cold and got absolutely destroyed on a big worm and my wife busted up her knee. We are certainly not top level riders but if you push yourself wake boarding hurts. I have taken out so many people over the years that have tried to get into the sport but as soon as they find out it is hard and painful They are done. I guess a lot of people don't want to go through the pain for the joy of riding and landing new tricks.

As my wife and I hobble around in our 30's today it is still worth it but as I tell my young boys:

"If you mess with the bull, you will get the horns"
Old     (badluck)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-15-2017, 7:49 PM Reply   
I still love to board. I never got any good at it but I love it. I'm now alittle afraid of getting hurt to really try anything. Got my 6and 8 year olds doing it.Got to keep the the sport going.They both learned at4. You def get the horns. My knees and back are shot and I still suck. Told my kids no tubes till you wakeboard. They almost never ride the tube. My 8 yr old has been on a single ski for 2 yrs now. My fun now consists of the 3 of us riding at the same time. Love watching the videos! Keep posting!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-16-2017, 8:52 AM Reply   
Malibu/Axis sells double the boats that Nautique does...Just saying. I'm an expert level rider and I prefer the 230 to the G. Quality of wake is completely subjective. Massi kills it behind a Bu. Harley kills it behind an MC, Dowdy kills it behind a G and Cory T kills it behind a supra.

Also, what is all the talk of abandonment? Yeah, so wake surfing sales a lot of boats, but tubing still blows wakeboarding/wakesurfing out of the water. Nautique has the Masters, but Supra has the pro-tour and Malibu does the Evolution and Just Ride tour--I'm sure there are others. There is still a lot of wakeboarding out there and I would say that all MFG are still very committed to it.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-16-2017, 9:35 AM Reply   
Agreed, Malibu owns market share.
Old     (Ghanddi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       05-17-2017, 2:17 PM Reply   
Harley just posted a video on Instagram of him almost landing another one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUNQeJMg...clifford&hl=en
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-17-2017, 5:39 PM Reply   
^^ Ghanddi you beat me to it! Post is sick, looking forward to seeing another one stomped.

Adam why do you put Harf's 12 above Dowdy's? The w2w vs double up made it surpass IMO
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       05-17-2017, 8:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghanddi View Post
Harley just posted a video on Instagram of him almost landing another one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUNQeJMg...clifford&hl=en
Why is it that the port side of that wake looks so clean and the starboard is all chopped up?
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       05-17-2017, 9:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxdeadI View Post
Why is it that the port side of that wake looks so clean and the starboard is all chopped up?
Could be for a couple of reasons - some wakes crumble on one side when you cut out hard. Sometimes when you are trying something new/hard you can get the driver to turn away gently to reduce tension on the line.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-17-2017, 9:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorjaw View Post
Sometimes when you are trying something new/hard you can get the driver to turn away gently to reduce tension on the line.
Above..

When I am doing big worms I always have the driver drive the "dumper" accomplishes two things:

1. Takes the line tension away so I don't get totally destroyed if I get hung up
2. Makes the wake super steep so that it shoots me more straight up and down.

Any kind of trick with a lot of line tension I believe u should try to learn with the dumper. Whirlys would be another good example and I even cheat with it on crow mobes.

I am 38 so any time I can find a way around being destroyed on a trick I am a big fan.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-17-2017, 10:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCPMike0663 View Post
Went out this weekend and it was pretty cold and got absolutely destroyed on a big worm and my wife busted up her knee. We are certainly not top level riders but if you push yourself wake boarding hurts. I have taken out so many people over the years that have tried to get into the sport but as soon as they find out it is hard and painful They are done. I guess a lot of people don't want to go through the pain for the joy of riding and landing new tricks.

As my wife and I hobble around in our 30's today it is still worth it but as I tell my young boys:

"If you mess with the bull, you will get the horns"
Ah yes. Welcome to wake surfing. If that can't do it for you, it's time to retire and sell your boat to someone younger who hasn't blown ligaments and tendons yet. Or... You can just cruise.
Old     (SHotz__21)      Join Date: Aug 2016       05-17-2017, 10:45 PM Reply   
driving the "dumper" means turning away from the boarder? like I'm boarding on the left side, cutting in to the wake left to right, and the driver turns alight right?
Old     (stxdeadI)      Join Date: Oct 2016       05-18-2017, 4:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHotz__21 View Post
driving the "dumper" means turning away from the boarder? like I'm boarding on the left side, cutting in to the wake left to right, and the driver turns alight right?
That's how in reading it yes
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-18-2017, 6:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHotz__21 View Post
Yes. Don't turn too aggressive or the wake will become too distorted. I even learned switch back rolls using this method. This can save you some pain for sure.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-18-2017, 6:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
Ah yes. Welcome to wake surfing. If that can't do it for you, it's time to retire and sell your boat to someone younger who hasn't blown ligaments and tendons yet. Or... You can just cruise.
I am doing everything in my power to avoid this.. I know Father Time is undefeated but I am doing P90X and taking care of my body. I really don't care for surfing, so maybe I will bust out the single ski, or the air chair when I am "done". I still think I have few years left, just more Advil and hot tub, and less riding multiple sets in a day.
Old     (MMPres)      Join Date: Dec 2013       05-18-2017, 10:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA View Post
^^ Ghanddi you beat me to it! Post is sick, looking forward to seeing another one stomped.

Adam why do you put Harf's 12 above Dowdy's? The w2w vs double up made it surpass IMO
My bad. Completely forgot about Dowdy's. Juxtapose the two.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-31-2017, 12:45 PM Reply   
Since the topic of wakeboarding's demise has been raised I'll provide my opinion. I blame the equipment manufacturers. With the new tall stiff boots and no-release system, its inevitable that people are going to get hurt in large numbers. If downhill skiers still had no-release bindings that sport would be dying too.

Wakeboarding flourished at a time when the bindings were similar to soft rubber waterski bindings. Crash hard and the board came off. Then as the sport progressed the bindings became more ridgid and less likely to release. Or worse yet only one would release. So then came the boots that never come off. Better than just one releasing but still dangerous especially given the current speeds and wake size.

Wakeboarding is the best watersport there is. I wish the equipment manufacturers would do themselves and all of us a favor and make it safer. Rant over.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-31-2017, 1:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMPres View Post
My bad. Completely forgot about Dowdy's. Juxtapose the two.

Okay but think about this. Harfs 12 was landed behind a Malibu VLX slammed off the double up. While Dowdy's was on a G23 Slammed to the limit and probably listed over just a hair to give the wake the extra pop. It's hard to say the w2w 12 was harder because the wake off the G especially slammed and listed was probably just as big as those double ups minus the skill it takes to hit a perfect DUB. Think about them apples
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-31-2017, 1:19 PM Reply   
I went to a local river this weekend and saw a solid 50-75 boats pulling wakeboarders. Everyone can come off this wakeboarding is dying crap. We are no longer a growth sport, but if you hit the water, it is alive and well.

And MLO, I agree with your statement that falls are a lot more vicious because of the bindings. We talked about it this weekend when a fried caught a digger and walked away fine because his system binding broke.

Last edited by skiboarder; 05-31-2017 at 1:21 PM.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-31-2017, 1:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarguy1 View Post
Since the topic of wakeboarding's demise has been raised I'll provide my opinion. I blame the equipment manufacturers. With the new tall stiff boots and no-release system, its inevitable that people are going to get hurt in large numbers. If downhill skiers still had no-release bindings that sport would be dying too.

Wakeboarding flourished at a time when the bindings were similar to soft rubber waterski bindings. Crash hard and the board came off. Then as the sport progressed the bindings became more ridgid and less likely to release. Or worse yet only one would release. So then came the boots that never come off. Better than just one releasing but still dangerous especially given the current speeds and wake size.

Wakeboarding is the best watersport there is. I wish the equipment manufacturers would do themselves and all of us a favor and make it safer. Rant over.

I don't know about all that... you can still get sh!**y open toes that let your feet come out every fall... I almost feel like you are trolling.

And is the demise of wakeboarding a real thing? Or just the demise of boat riding? We have cable parks all over the place now so there are probably more people "wakeboarding" then there ever has been tbh. The demise of boat riding has happened because of a number of things. Wakeboarding is hard. Wakeboarding boats are expensive.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-31-2017, 1:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo8290 View Post
I don't know about all that... you can still get sh!**y open toes that let your feet come out every fall... I almost feel like you are trolling.

And is the demise of wakeboarding a real thing? Or just the demise of boat riding? We have cable parks all over the place now so there are probably more people "wakeboarding" then there ever has been tbh. The demise of boat riding has happened because of a number of things. Wakeboarding is hard. Wakeboarding boats are expensive.
Not trolling and you make good points. I actually use the open toe bindings you mention and yes I'm not very good. Where I ride on the columbia wakeboarding is pretty much done except for a few hard cores. Its all about surfing now. The boats are a lot more expensive but in large part because they are now designed more for surfing than boarding.

I realize that the newer bindings provide better control and stability but I stick by my assertion that they are unsafe and contribute to injuries. I believe the manufacturers could better. Surfing has grown in popularity at the expense of boarding because its safe and low impact.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       06-01-2017, 3:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarguy1 View Post
Not trolling and you make good points. I actually use the open toe bindings you mention and yes I'm not very good. Where I ride on the columbia wakeboarding is pretty much done except for a few hard cores. Its all about surfing now. The boats are a lot more expensive but in large part because they are now designed more for surfing than boarding.

I realize that the newer bindings provide better control and stability but I stick by my assertion that they are unsafe and contribute to injuries. I believe the manufacturers could better. Surfing has grown in popularity at the expense of boarding because its safe and low impact.
I'm going to solidly disagree with you on that one. I rode the old style boots and they were dangerous as heck. From dudes slipping their foot forwards out the front and breaking their foot on a pair of sub rossas (where he had to be cut out) to seeing one boot come off and one stay on an "propeller-ing", doing massive damage to leg & knees, I like the idea that I only get ejected on heavy landings. There's still some flexible boots out there, but they fit so SO much better.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-02-2017, 10:13 AM Reply   
I would agree with you there. Snug boots seem safer IMHO
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-02-2017, 10:56 AM Reply   
My lake has 3 G23's, 2 Super Airs, and a Mobius V. They all wakesurf and none of them wakeboard.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-14-2017, 11:29 AM Reply   
Depends on where you live. The community is all but gone here. Surfers that don't know how to drive (that hasn't changed) making larger rollers that make the few wake-boarding miserable.
I get that people like low impact (really separates the men from the boys) but I have lost the community and comradeship that comes with pushing each other to land new stuff.