Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-19-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   
One of our members has now boarded and surfed both boats... We should get a review and get the ***** storm flying!!

Snowslider76 - have at it.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-19-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
How many epic threads can one forum have lol
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-19-2012, 7:18 PM Reply   
^^^ haha
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-19-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
Even if the Xstar is better, you have to wonder if its worth the premium...
Attached Images

Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-19-2012, 8:45 PM Reply   
Without hearing the review I'm going to support the underdog, the G23.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-19-2012, 8:55 PM Reply   
Which boat has the best wake @ 95ft with no ballast?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       07-19-2012, 8:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2012, 9:16 PM Reply   
I feel like I'd be putting my life on the line if I put in writing which boat I like better. I'm too good of friends with dealers and sales guys in both camps and I want to keep my hook ups lol.

I'm just gonna go neutral like Cananda both are sick!!!
Old     (Moose99)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-19-2012, 9:33 PM Reply   
Attached Images

Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 1:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Bahahahaha... Total Win.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-20-2012, 3:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowslider76 View Post
I feel like I'd be putting my life on the line if I put in writing which boat I like better. I'm too good of friends with dealers and sales guys in both camps and I want to keep my hook ups lol.

Allow me to infer what you meant to say:

The G23 is better in some areas and the XStar is better in some areas.

For example, the G23 puts out a mackin' wake but I when I ride in it I feel like I'm in my grandmas house and want to put doilies on everything. The boat even has that familiar old-people smell, a combination of cooking corn and musk aftershave. The boat is so boring that even Tige Z3 owners say "meh."

The Star's wake is just a large jumble of whitewash and niagra-like foam. The stereo only ever seems to play "Party Rock Anthem," but there is always a line of bikini-clad women vying for a spot in the bow.

More to come...
Old     (boomshot)      Join Date: Jan 2008       07-20-2012, 4:09 AM Reply   
Unfortunately this isn't a contest anymore. Not for 2012-2013.

I don't think even MasterCraft would want the X-Star to be put up against the G23. If money isn't an object the G23 is better in all ways that matter. I actually can't think of a single way in which the X-Star is better. The G23 has run away with 2013 and short of a miracle or huge surprise, nobody is touching them with this boat unless the big manufacturers (or a new one?) start to take some risks. Correct Craft took a huge risk, developed a Maine lobsterboat with a wakeboard tower, and it worked.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-20-2012, 4:33 AM Reply   
Man, I wish I could have joined you guys on that demo yesterday!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-20-2012, 5:37 AM Reply   
Quote:

I'll admit homie - I was hoping for something more provacative but I'm not surprised by your response...

Figured if nothing else - it would be a good troll thread.. MIssion accomplished .
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2012, 6:32 AM Reply   
This thread didn't explode like I thought. I'll give a legit review with wake pics of both I was just hoping for a little bit more pot stirring first.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2012, 6:52 AM Reply   
I finally saw a new XStar in person, going in at the local launch. Maybe that was you, Jason?

Anyway, that boat got hit with the ugly stick so hard that it put a kink in the rub rail.
Old    mmcorrectax            07-20-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
You have to love MN boys trying to start the battle...

I think people should get in both if they are trying to decide between the two, and make there own mind up.

However, I am interested to see this thread.
Old     (natepribyl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 7:57 AM Reply   
Ok, Lets put out there first I am not a very good wake boarder... I have the beginner tricks down (180's, 360's, Tantrum, Raley, and A Toe side Frontroll on a good day)...

Yesterday I had a chance to try the new X star ... I will put it nicely as I can and say it will take a lot to get used to. It is a great boat for the right person.... There were some people in the boat that loved it and some people that were not a fan... there is no question that Mastercraft is one of the top boat manufactures in the market. The wake has a huge transition, for me I was unable to find any pop out of the wake ... I am used to riding wake's that have a huge lip with very little transition. The boat came on plane as fast as a ski boat with that big 7.4 engine in it. Beautiful interior as always with Mastercraft ... I was not a fan of the extremely large bow fork's, it made picking people up and dropping people off somewhat difficult due to having a longer jump into or out of the boat (I would highly recommend pulling up on the side of the boat just for safety reasons). The boat is a beautiful boat for the right person and I am very thankful that Cory over at Midwest invited me and my girlfriend out.

We in Minnesota are very lucky to have so much access to Nautique and Mastercraft boats. I believe a lot of that has to due with the Mastercraft and Nautique boat sales people. Both Casey at Marine Max and Cory at MWMC are great people to deal with... you have no pressure and they honestly just care about people enjoying themselves throughout the boating community. I know that regardless of the boat's I get to ride in I am very happy I have the opportunity to deal with these individuals and there company's.

Thank you to both of you

MWMC - Eric, UNBELIEVABLE RIDING YESTERDAY, seriously this guy is fun to watch - Tony thanks for driving
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       07-20-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
^^^^ thats what its all about, these guys that got into the sport for the same reason and excitement seemed to deem themselves boat gurus now and forget why we love this industry. Its all about famliy, friends, and having fun on the water. Whatever makes an individual happy, that's what's important.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-20-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
Nate,

A friend of mine demoed a new XStar two days ago and called me. Some of his impressions were very similar to yours. He's a pretty good rider, and they slammed the boat with weight. He thought he got absoutely booted by the wake. He had a hard time controlling the pop he was getting, but that's probably just because he wasn't used to the wake. He complimented how the boat drove when weighted, and affirmed your statement that the boat popped right out of the hole. One thing he told me, which I thought was interesting, was that he thought the cockpit felt cramped. Overall, the really liked the boat, and thought it was nice. Too expensive, but nice.

I got a call from our local CC dealer, and they are doing a G23 demo on Tuesday. He wanted me to come ride and do a writeup, but I'm going to be in wrightsville beach next week. I'm tryign to get one of our local outlaw riders to go in my stead and take a bunch of pictures. I'm hopeful to have some additional information for you guys after I get back relative to the G23. Also, a friend of mine ordered a G23, but he's not supposed to get it for a while. He was told that there as an issue with speaker covers or something that was delying his boat.
Old     (natepribyl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
Chattwake (chattwake),

Your friend was very lucky to ride the boat with extra weight... The MC guy's that had the boat for demo were told very clearly that the boat was to be ridden with stock ballast only. I would have really liked to see what this wake looked like slammed. I agree that the cockpit seemed a little tight with that side flip up seat but the boat did drive extremely well... It did not feel like a big boat, turned well great acceleration. Like I said before great boat for right person...
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2012, 8:59 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding has been good to me the last week, I've riden with Ruck, riden behind a G23, 2013 Star, X25, 210 and my own Star and still somehow managed to work 50 some hours to pay for all my fun. I feel like I'm about 85 though I might need to sleep all weekend.

Casey is right thought you really need to get out behind both boats and decide for yourself because both are amazing machines with their own sick and very different wakes.

My pics are the G23 heal and toe and the X heal and toe, my own Star and the new Star heal and toe with my girly at 21mph @ 65'. I really need to clean up my methods they are fugly.

I rode both boats at 75' and 24.5 mph same as I ride my own. This isn't to apples to apples comparison because I rode the G over stock and the new star only stock.

So the wakes, I'll start with the star. So I rode it with stock with 6 people in the boat. First thing I noticed was the power behind that 7.1, I felt like I was getting pulled up by an unweighted ski boat, hole shot was nutz it was on plan in about 4 seconds. The wake stock in my opinion is exactly the same as my star with 4000 lbs of ballast, same size, same ramp, same take off, same landing, same everything that made the pickle fork star one of the most legit wakes around. If you've riden a loaded star you've riden the new star stock.

All the wash talk is a bunch of bs there is no wash, at 24.5 all the way down to 21 mph. I really want to get behind this boat pigged out because I think it has the potential to be an absolute monster wake! If its like the star I have now the wake shape doesn't change between stock and pigged it just gets bigger in my opinion. Not sure I've ever riden stock in my boat though, who does that lol.

The G wake is way harder to explain because it's so different then anything out there, it's just this huge massive wake that throws you up in the air. It's a much more vertical wake then the star ramp but doesn't have that Natique kick I was expecting. I feel in love with it after the first hit it's just sooo easy to ride. You almost feel like you are being lifted into the air not really thrown or taking off a ramp. I'm doing a terrible job explaining it you just have to ride one.

I've become the biggest wake snob this last week I don't want to be behind anything besides a star or g nothing else even comes close, hands down the two best wake boats made you just have to decide what wake you like better.

Natique for sure did a lot better job with marketing their release and won hands down with that. But if you think the star is some patched together rushed out catch up to Natique boat you are wrong. Its very well thought out and the fit and finish is awesome. Pictures do neither of these boats justice they are sooooo much better in person. I'm not super crazy about how long the forks are on the star but other then that I think it looks pretty amazing. The functionality of the new tower is epic, so easy to fold down and you can trailer with it down. No more bug clean up. The Natique is awesome in it's fit and finish too, some great new features in that boat that I didn't think I'd care about but once you see them they are awesome.

Get out and ride um and don't forget to smile and have fun out there. You can't go wrong with either.

I asked my GF after being in both of them which one we should buy and how much of combined income we need to have to not be financial retards when financing one of them. Her answer was $450k, lol I need to get off WW and go make some money.
Attached Images

Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-20-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
Good review Jason.

For those that want more pics of the wakes...here is a shot of the G23 with Stock Ballast, at 60' @ 22 mph. It's just about butt high on my girlfriend (no she's not super short either...about 5'7"). You can see that if she was about 2' further back, it would be a little bigger.

I'm going to attempt to get some pics of the wake with extra ballast, further back, and a bit faster.
Attached Images

Last edited by ironj32; 07-20-2012 at 9:25 AM.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       07-20-2012, 9:36 AM Reply   
^^^^thats as big as that photoshopped wake skater pic thats been around WW for years - but ^^thats for real. THAT THING IS MASSIVE.
ironj32 - please take a ton of pics already for us dreamers out here.
Old    TN22            07-20-2012, 10:36 AM Reply   
The G23 wake looks alot bigger to me in those pics, but I guess that's because it was above stock? Both look good regardless
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-20-2012, 10:49 AM Reply   
I am not discputing that the wake looks bigger on teh G23 but a steeper wake looks bigger in pictures then a rampy wake.

By the way, good review on the wakes Jason. Looking at pictures of the boats it looks like MC followed the old xstar styling with a small cockpit to make a bigger bow area. Usually that makes teh boat look better but definately sacrifices some space behind the windshield. Neither boat is my cup of tea and I won't ever be able to afford either but both like like incredible boats.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-20-2012, 11:04 AM Reply   
methods?

http://www2.worldpub.net/images/spec...grabindex1.swf

nice review....both boats will create more wake than i can use...and so can my 230, hahaha...
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-20-2012, 11:16 AM Reply   
Snow slider how did you like the X25?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-20-2012, 11:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
Allow me to infer what you meant to say:

The G23 is better in some areas and the XStar is better in some areas.

For example, the G23 puts out a mackin' wake but I when I ride in it I feel like I'm in my grandmas house and want to put doilies on everything. The boat even has that familiar old-people smell, a combination of cooking corn and musk aftershave. The boat is so boring that even Tige Z3 owners say "meh."

The Star's wake is just a large jumble of whitewash and niagra-like foam. The stereo only ever seems to play "Party Rock Anthem," but there is always a line of bikini-clad women vying for a spot in the bow.

More to come...
Another insightful post by the Court Jester himself.
I have no comments on this thread it has all been said before and I will never own either of them .
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-20-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by natepribyl View Post
Chattwake (chattwake),

Your friend was very lucky to ride the boat with extra weight... The MC guy's that had the boat for demo were told very clearly that the boat was to be ridden with stock ballast only. I would have really liked to see what this wake looked like slammed. I agree that the cockpit seemed a little tight with that side flip up seat but the boat did drive extremely well... It did not feel like a big boat, turned well great acceleration. Like I said before great boat for right person...
The dealer here loaded it up.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
I thought the X25 was awesome, super roomy boat in the back. I'd seriously consider one vs. a star(older style). Unfortunately it was super wind blown out that day, 25mph winds so we only where able to surf so I didn't get to check out the wakeboard wake. Hands down the best MC surf wake I've seen, from what I saw of the wakeboard wake it looked really good, a lot more vert then an Xstar. That was the day I was out with Ruck, crazy to watch him surf he can do whatever he wants on a surf board.

I'm in the other school of thought that the G23 or Xstar or any other pro-level wake is beyond what I need, personally I think they are exactly what I need, the bigger the better. I'm not a pro I need a big wake just like any other sport I need whatever help I can get. Tiger woods can hit a recovery shot out of the rough with a two iron blade from 1940 with wood shaft, I can't I need a hybrid recovery iron to do it. Any player in the MLB can hit one out of the park with a heavy wood bat, I can't I need a super light carbon fiber bat to even stand a chance. Wakeboarding is no different, pros can throw down legit behind a 16' IO, I can't I need all the help I can get in the form a super big wake. That's just my .02 but I think it's a stupid argument that you don't need it, do I need it to have fun, not at all, but is sure helps my progression. I'm never going to stand a chance landing a 3 off a 6" IO wake.
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-20-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
I had a chance to ride the new 2013 xstar the other day. I liked Jason's comments and he is right the Stock Ballast is like the previous xstar when it is loaded up. I think the white wash people are talking about is because the wake is more is "finicky" then the 2003 to 2012 xtar. What I mean by this is we had stock ballast full and a driver and someone sitting in the passenger seat. I was sitting in the flip around back seat and if I moved to port or starboard side of the boat it was not as perfectly clean. Now, it was more affected at 22.5mph for our 1st rider. At 24.2mph and higher the wake was not as affected by the back seat person moving around. I feel that previous Xstar is not as finicky whether ballast is maxed out or empty. Jason, when your girl rode did you guys leave the stock ballast full? That might have helped our wake at 22.5mph. The 7.4 Ilmor got on plane in no time at all. We only rode stock ballast. I was suprised the 7.4 Ilmor was not as loud as my 400 ly6 on my 2008 xstar. I guess they have done some things with the exhaust per our Mastercraft dealer. Port surf wave was nice with everyone in the back corner at 11.2mph. Starboard surf wake is not as good but doable at 10.8mph and messing with the attitude adjustment plate. Inside the boat I liked the flip back seat to watch the rider and the helm is comfortable to sit in. The trash can is a nice touch in the middle. The walls of the boat are fairly deep so if you have little kids they would be less likely to be wrestling around and fall over the side. The one odd thing was the door to the bow and window have a 2 inch gap, give or take, but if you look the door it couldn't be made higher or it would be higher then the passenger dash area when it is left open, if that makes sense, sort of a poor description by me. I like the transom material and the ability to slide off into the water. I like the pre ride sit down area by the transom as well. Tower is very easy to put up and down if that is something that is important to you.

All in all, just an impressive boat that looks awesome. I have owned 2 xstars, 2004 and currently have a 2008. So, a big fan of Mastercraft etc. I really would like to have ridden with the pro tour ballast type set up. Not that I need extra ballast to do the tricks that I can do, but really just to see. I believe on the pro tour they do stock ballast and another 500lbs in the passenger area, not 100% sure though. Obviously there are 6 to 8 people in the boat as well. I just want to see how clean the wake is with people scattered around and if there are any wash issues. We have had the G23 on my lake but I have yet to ride it. Riding it on Monday and will post my thoughts. I think that some of the other comments on here are correct. Too a person that doesn't know the difference between an Xstar, X2, SAN 210, SAN 230, Colbalt or whatever.......when you see the G23 from a distance you are like what in the heck is that?!?!?! Mega boat! The 2013 Xstar looks cool to me, but to someone who doesn't know boats you could say that is the new X45. I am interested to see how I feel after being on the G23. My friends that have ridden both feel that it is not a fair comparision because these boats should be a different class. I am not sure how to take that, maybe they mean space or look. I am most interested in the wakeboard wake. For those interested in Surfing the Starboard and Port Waves are very nice on both sidesof the G23 with a little extra weight per some of my local friends. No one in my "crew" has wakeboarded in it till I do with a few others on Monday.
Old     (natepribyl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
I have spent a lot of time on my friends 2011 X25 (prob around once a week)

This is a very different wake compared to the X star; I really like the wake on the X25, its very vertical. When riding behind the X25 what I like is the kick you get off the lip of the wake. Some people may not like it because it is so abrupt and vertical but it is defiantly something I enjoy with this boat. The X25 with a aftermarket prop had no problem getting on plane even with about 2000 pounds extra ballast. The boat itself feels extremely large for a 21.5 foot boat. The only issue we have had at all with the X25 is some porpousing problems. Those boats really like bow weight ... I have one picture below but it was prior to the boat getting on plane ... and I attached a video that you at least get a good shot of the wake at speed... To bad my riding was not as good as the wake.... If I had to go out and buy a MC today I would buy a X25 ... great boat and a awesome straight vertical ramp wake

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02s_q...ature=youtu.be

In the video we are riding at 23.8 with the rope at 75 I believe

REMEMBER THIS IS A PICTURE BEFORE THE BOAT IS ON PLANE
Attached Images

Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-20-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
Here is a video where it is a cluster of people in the boat and I was riding during a sales demo. This was not the controlled environment i mentioned above were we had 3 people in the boat. We had 7 people all over the 2013 xstar with stock ballast full. We had 5 people in the middle or the port side of the boat especially in the front. So, the port side of the wake was super rampy and the the starboard side was mellow. I just needed to do some basic "flips" while the sales guy talked to the potential buyers. We were driving at 24.2mph on this footage and you can see the rooster moving around. This is all Iphone Footage and edited on the Iphone as well, so it's not the perfect video. Sometimes I like to see video of boats when everything isn't perfect. Again, we had stock ballast but more folks on Starboard side especially in the bow, 2 on portside, bigger people no one on starboard side bow. I am not the best rider in the world but I was having trouble with leaving the wake early on mellow side then getting tossed on the steep side haha.

Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-20-2012, 1:38 PM Reply   
Nate, haven't watch video of x25 you posted, but what are your thougths on surf wakes port, starboard? I read he forum in wakesurfing but was wanting to hear more opinions if you and your crew surf. Does the owner use the back transom seats very often, in anyway at all, surfing, partying, etc?
Old     (natepribyl)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-20-2012, 2:39 PM Reply   
Rob,
The owner of the boat actually is a huge surfer... so I actually have probably surfed that boat more than wake board.

I do like the surf wake, it is big with little weight (Stock, 400 port locker, 900 under back port seat) SEE FIRST PICTURE - 3 GUY'S SPEED ABOUT 10.8 ... I am a big guy (6'2 210) and at the bottom of that wake its near waist high

But if you load it out the wake is insane (All factory ballast filled 400 port locker 900 under back port seat 1100 on floor in back 450 in bow and 2 400's on back seats .... wish I had a picture but I will get one for you next time

We only sit on the back transom seats when the cop's for sure are not on the water... but they are always used when we are parked.... for some reason we have friends that like the boat, dislike getting in the water past touching there feet in, like the beer and LOVE THE SCENERY ... funny how that works.

The only complaint I have about the surf wake is there is times you have an extremely large wake but not a lot of curl. I think the X2 we ride on has a lot more curl in the surf wake but it is just not as large. Both are very good wakes to surf...

Best surf wake I have even been on though hand's down goes to ironj's G23

Picture 2 is our X2 with about 2800 pounds and 3 people
Attached Images

Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-20-2012, 2:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by natepribyl View Post
Best surf wake I have even been on though hand's down goes to ironj's G23
This has awesome written all over it!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-20-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN22 View Post
The G23 wake looks alot bigger to me in those pics, but I guess that's because it was above stock? Both look good regardless
No, that is stock ballast.
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-20-2012, 3:39 PM Reply   
G23 wake is huge. Maybe we should be comparing X25 to G23?
Old     (TheWoons)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-20-2012, 9:23 PM Reply   
If anyone wants to see the X25 Surf Wake I have a thread on ours here:

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794303

X25 is an AWESOME surfing boat.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-21-2012, 4:13 AM Reply   
That surf wake can't compare to Surfgate! It's the bomb!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-21-2012, 6:40 PM Reply   
Wow the G23 v XStar has turned into a X25 thread maybe start a new thread 2013 XStar v X25 .
Old     (TroyD)      Join Date: Jan 2012       07-22-2012, 8:38 AM Reply   
MC should have taken the X25 hull and added 2 feet and tracking fins and made that the new Star.
Old     (TheWoons)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-22-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyD View Post
MC should have taken the X25 hull and added 2 feet and tracking fins and made that the new Star.
2013 X25's have tracking fins
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-24-2012, 12:10 AM Reply   
I'm not trying to be a dick, but judging from some of the riding pics, I'm not sure some people are qualified to review these wakes. Sorry if that comes off ****ty.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-24-2012, 1:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyaimfire View Post
I'm not trying to be a dick, but judging from some of the riding pics, I'm not sure some people are qualified to review these wakes. Sorry if that comes off ****ty.
In one way you are 100% right, in another you are 100% wrong. The reality is most "core" riders can't afford these boats only big earning enthusiasts, very much like race car drivers and super cars. The most important thing is does buying a big expensive high performance boat make you feel good even if you can't extract all the potential due to lake of skill and talent? Probably yes unless you want to get all zen about it.
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-24-2012, 6:17 AM Reply   
Had the opportunity to Ride the G23 yesterday and I was impressed. The conditions were a bit windy on the lake but we hugged the shoreline. I didn't get any video like I did in the previous post for the xstar, becuase I was driving or riding. I like the layout of the boat and the deep gunnels are nice for people that have kids. Love the cooler in the floor, would like to see more boats do that, but might be tough on boats that aren't this massive. I like the helm because I didn't need a booster seat when surfing or wakeboarding. I could see out just fine, I am 5'9 so not super tall or anything. I like the dash a bit more than the xstar because it has plenty of room for "stuff" to the drivers right side, and the flip ipod/iphone area on the dash is sweet. I like the LCD screen to the right on the G23 versus in the center for the xstar(main screen is center) Port and Starboard waves for surfing were very solid with stock ballast. It sounds like the "pros" would throw more weight in the back corner, just depends on how you feel. The wakeboard wake with the boat empty of ballast stayed shaped up at 19mph and higher. With ballast half full had a nice wake at 70ft and 22.5 mph. I liked the wave at 77 to 80ft at 24mph and full ballast. The mega weighted up wake is difficult to explain, see Jason's post above in this thread. It is big and clean and seems to lauch you like it has a lip but there isn't a lip?!?!? I had to dial it back because I was flying into the flats. I really needed to wait to ride all the way through the wake and I left early on trip flip inverts, making the line tight and difficult to get the grabs. I think the previous comments about it being effortless is totally correct. I am very excited about this wake. I can visualize some double grab spins and other tricks I haven't personally tried before. The amount of storage is unreal, and stock ballast 2,800lbs is perfect for wakeboarding. I would like to have another crack at the Xstar with aftermarket ballast (only rode stock), but at the same time extra weight in the xstar takes up the storage space. On the G23 I only disliked 2 things. I like the boardracks on the Mastercrafts better. For Surfing, the G23 is so big you can't see the rider when they are getting ready. The local shop, N3 Boatworks plans to install a transom camera, like a review camera on a car, so that you can see the rider when they are ready to get pulled up. You can view the camera picture on the LCD screen. On the starboard side you can see the rider better from the helm when surfing.

All in all I currently like the G23 better. I would like to try the Xstar again. I am interested in getting a nice test ride on an X25 and the new 2013 Supra. I have owned 2 xstars and currently have a 2008 xstar. My riding level is that I can surf starboard and port sides and can do a surface 360, do body varials and not much olie air. When I tested the new Xstar (2 weeks ago) and G23 (yesterday) I am one year excatly out of ACL surgery. I am only doing base inverts and spins right now.

This is my set last Sunday behind my 2008xstar at 70 feet, 23.8mph and the fly high extra ballast system is probably 700lbs short of being full. I haven't ridden weighted up much and I am attempting to stay out fo the flats as much as possible. Hope this review helps you guys. I personally am not in the market for a new boat this season. I have a few friends looking to upgrade this season or next.

My wakeboard set last Sunday, 2minutes long

Old     (madcityskier)      Join Date: Jun 2012       07-24-2012, 8:02 AM Reply   
Haven't been in either, but watched the xstar recently. Looked like it could really use some biw weight. Seemed to be struggling to get moving (though that could be driving) and there was q huge roister tail. It also seemed that it took a lot of speed to clean up the wake. Once up and running it was putting out a WALL, ruining slalom sets, and swamping 20' I/O's.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       07-24-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyaimfire View Post
This comes off snobby but the snobby snot in me agrees. It's hard to describe, and I think the 100% right, yet 100% wrong answer is right. We have a 105 lb person in our crew that would hate this. I, on the other hand, would be in heaven.

Tough one.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2012, 12:28 PM Reply   
Gee I hope my four pictures and 10+ years of riding 3-4 days a week qualify me to write into words what a wake feels like on take off, LOL.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-24-2012, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Gee I hope my four pictures and 10+ years of riding 3-4 days a week qualify me to write into words what a wake feels like on take off, LOL.
Only if you ride 90' with no ballast
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-24-2012, 12:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
Only if you ride 90' with no ballast
95' with no ballast. C'mon, get it right
Old     (sja)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-24-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=juniorhawk;1770650]This comes off snobby but the snobby snot in me agrees. It's hard to describe, and I think the 100% right, yet 100% wrong answer is right. We have a 105 lb person in our crew that would hate this. I, on the other hand, would be in heaven.

I had a great opportunity to “taste and compare” the G23 to the new X-Star. I am having a bit difficult time deciding which, if either, to buy. I’ll list a lot of details and invite you to agree or disagree based on your own experience. I am only at a low intermediate riding level with Air Raley (delusional) aspirations.
I drove and rode the G with the 450 engine and stock 2900 pounds ballast and the X-Star with 522 hp engine with 1500 pounds stock ballast. (I will have to ride the G with the 550 and the X-Star fully hogged out to help make my final decision)

First the G23. The wake is unbelievable. It is like the boat lifts a perfect pie shaped wedge 3 1/2 feet out of the water. The test conditions were windy and in any direction the wake was fully formed. The wake just seems to gently pop you into the air. At that large scale it seems like things slow down and there is a lot more air time to do tricks (or in my case to imagine doing them). The wake appears pretty steep as you approach, but the ride up and pop over the lip is really smooth.
From the exterior, the boat is really large appearing, and unusually shaped. It reminds me of a WW II D-Day landing craft with tall sides square to the water and a shovel front. (I’m not too fond of the look, but I’m sure it appeals greatly to some) I think the graphics actually enhance this appearance and I’d be interested in seeing the boat in a solid color. I’m not a fan of the tower shape ,the large piece at the base, and the bungee cord board racks. I know there isn’t a good bungee alternative for those who have the thinly glassed surfboards. I am told that control freaks like me could get the boat equipped with clamp style racks. There are theoretical advantages to forward folding towers, I am just a fan of the appearance of aft leaning towers. The interior layout is great. The three way bow filler system is ingenious. It is functional, great looking and saves space. The center path from the bow to the platform is clear and easy. You could have a football team in this boat and no one would be stepping over anyone to get back to the platform. The finish of the interior is beautiful. It is enhanced by the faux teak flooring (very easy on the feet and the eyes). This is a deep boat and the storage is massive. When you look at how deep the storage wells are beside the engine you wonder where they put the 2900 pounds of ballast. The reversible flip seat is a great idea. The one in this boat required two hands and some degree of patience to operate. If it was not slid along its track “just right” it would stick and have to be jarred loose for another attempt. The seating is otherwise comfortable and I liked the options of folding bench seats into aft facing seat backs.
The dash is really clean and the sight lines are great. When pulling a rider the bolster is really optional as the visibility forward is great. I thought It would be nice to have more than one screen or some analog gauges in addition to the main screen, but I suspect with a little time on the boat learning which button to press would change my mind.
The swim platform looks great with the faux teak. The shape is good with no corners to hit against dock pilings. The platform is still out of the water with full ballast (a big plus for me personally as I am always slipping on the slime on the submerged platform behind my overloaded X2).
I have read internet forum complaints about the time it takes to get up boarding behind the fully loaded G. It was a bit slow to plane but I wont complain about an extra 6 or 8 seconds getting up to speed while that massive wake forms.
The only major downside for me was the ride empty. In addition to boarding, I do some cruising around the lake and some river cruising and camping. It is fun to drive a boat at speed on a deserted length of river and tear it up. With the 450 at least, this is not a sporty ride. I know - it is not supposed to be, and if I want a sporty ride I should get a pastel linen jacket and a cigarette boat - but there is a “fun” threshold I would like to cross in this aspect of any boat before coughing up 6 figures. I didn’t take the boat to top end, but I suspect it would be about 37 to 38 with this engine (please correct me if anyone has the boat and has topped it out at a faster speed). The boat bogged a tad in sharp turns and there was some spray over the bow in the wind with the boat empty at speed.
I have a lot of experience with boats, there is no perfect boat for anyone, but this one comes close. There is probably no boat capable of throwing this wake full that will give a sporty ride empty, but I’m hoping the extra 100hp makes a difference.

Now the X-Star. I’ve never been a fan of the pickle fork design and when I heard the “tines” of the fork were even pointier this year I wasn’t interested. When I saw the first images of the boat with the big MC shield and all the names painted on the boat I was certain that they had exceeded their own hard to reach X-Star ugly standard. When I saw images of the tour boats I thought I would at least take a look. In “person” the boat is actually surprisingly beautiful. It really has nice lines. The pickle forks point inward so even dead-on or in front quarter profile, it looks like a “real boat”. The graphic is more simple too,- in my opinion, a nice departure from years past when I go the sense they were trying way too hard to “be cool”.
The platform is nicely shaped. It too was out of the water with full stock ballast. I am not sure when loaded with an extra 1500 pounds, but I suspect it will still be dry. The tower looks greats and works great. It is very quick and easy to operate. The cockpit does appear a bit smaller that the G. I think there is more room in front of the windshield. The seating is very comfortable. The finish is excellent. It would look a lot better with the faux teak flooring and that is something that can be installed after market in any boat. The reversible seat it meatier than the G and it seems to be designed better. With one hand you can convert it from forward to aft facing, or a flat sun pad. The storage isn’t nearly as voluminous at the G and the plug and play system will take up some more space. Still, there is enough storage for all the gear you would want for a camping trip for 4 boarders. (just with the cavernous G storage you could stow all the gear and your 3 friends too). The dash is beautiful. It is cleanly laid out and there are multiple screens so you don't have to toggle back and forth for radio functions etc. The large center screen rises up on an actuator. It works well, and looks great in the up and down position. It may offer some protection form the elements when the boat is not in use. It is a little gimmicky and I hope it would keep working through the years. The bow area is really comfortable. The seating facing forward or aft is great. The bow anchor and ladder storage is really well designed.
Empty, the ride is very sporty. Zipping through full locked turns was fun. As was mentioned earlier in this post, the hole shot is amazing. With full stock ballast it really did feel like starting off behind an unloaded ski boat. The boat I was on was touring the country for prospective buyers and I suspect they propped the boat to deliver a good hole shot. I’m sure the company didn’t want to see posted web reports of not being able to pull a rider up due to too many people in the boat. (as there were early on with the G before they got the prop right). I think they could prop this boat to deliver a top end of well over 45 (I had the one I tested to 43) without sacrificing pull.
After experiencing the G’s wake, the wake of the X-Star (with only 1500 pounds stock ballast) was a little anticlimactic. The transition is long and the wake is big, but with the stock ballast and at 21.5mph, the wake was a bit soft and I didn’t feel thrown into the air like I did behind the G. I’m told that (and hope that) the fully loaded X-Star will deliver a different wake experience.

The local dealers in my area for MC and CC have been awesome. They are straight forward and don’t talk trash about each other’s boats. They have been informative and helpful. In the next 2 months I will be able to ride a fully loaded Star and a 550hp G.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-24-2012, 12:40 PM Reply   
93.5', no ballast and 31 mph is my sweet spot
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-24-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
Steve, Great write up! You did a nice job of explaining some things that I left out. Side note, I really like that material for the G23 Floor. I have a buddy that got that same material on the transom of his 2008 Nautique 230. Big fan. I really enjoyed the reviews on this thread from all boaters and skill levels.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-24-2012, 2:34 PM Reply   
Guys relax. We all know you need a blue and white TIGE to do that....

Wait, my TIGE is blue and white...uhhhh this is awkward
Old    mmcorrectax            07-25-2012, 12:04 PM Reply   
We are currently working on setting up a week long demo on a 450 HP G23 the week prior to our Wakesurf Tournament here in MN. The boat will be ready for any application.

August 13-15, August 16 will be a BBQ and practice day for the surf tournament.

If you would like more information or updates on details, please email casey.smith@marinemax.com with your phone # and name.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-25-2012, 12:19 PM Reply   
Shucks...that was the weekend I was hoping to work on my 95' @31mph behind my buddies Ranger bass boat. Wanted to try it on a boat without a tower since someone can do it behind his boat with a tower.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-27-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
Hey guys, meant to chime in earlier but been way to busy. Thanks to all that were able to make it out to demo the Star, I think Jason nailed it with the description of the wake, that's exactly how I felt. I would have liked to pig the boat out but we can do that when our first one arrives. Here are a couple of pics of our Pro Shop Manager riding, this is stock ballast at 24.5mph and 80'.

Overall I thought this boat drove way better than the previous gen Star, part of that is the 7.4 liter engine, part is the auto launch feature and part was I was just pumped to get out in this boat!!!
Attached Images

Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-27-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
Here are a couple shots of Tony riding. Not sure of the speed or line length.
Attached Images

Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-27-2012, 10:55 AM Reply   
Love me some T Party