Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (4white)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-24-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
I bought a set of Kicker KMT6 Wakeboard tower speaker last spring and when I had the boat on the lake this weekend I noticed that three out of four of the rubber gaskets were wrecked. The boat and speakers were covered all winter, this is the first time I have had a issue with tower speakers(my old boat had a set of Infinity tower speakers). Of course they are a month out of warranty, so no help there. Has anyone had the same issue? any ideas?
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-24-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
I don't think mine have experienced this problem.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-24-2011, 5:23 PM Reply   
Richard,
I'm not sure exactly what you are describing as a gasket whether it is the midbass drivers' surround or an actual sealer gasket between the speaker rim and pod. The Kicker KMT6 is really airtight and when the temperature rises the air in the pod expands and the speakers will balloon outwards. This could be a contributing factor. And, there is a fix for this condition. If these speakers are just barely out of warranty and you bought them from an authorized dealer I would be willing to bet they will stretch the warranty a bit. Then I would focus on the true cause so that you don't have a repeat.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (4white)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-25-2011, 8:02 AM Reply   
[QUOTE]

Thanks Dave, but I have used them in the same conditions and area that I had the Infinity speakers for the past 4 years? I appreciate the response and will contact the retailer today. Hope they do something, I did really like them.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-25-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
Customer service is great at Kicker. I had the same problem, and I was off warranty by a month. They exchanged them no charge. Sending the old units back was at my expense though.

Anyway, I only have good words for Kicker so far. This year, I got speakersox to protect them, hope it will make a difference.
Old     (spyderman)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-27-2011, 2:14 PM Reply   
I had the same thing happen with mine. They were 6 months out of warranty when i noticed it. Kicker offered to replace them.... for MSRP.

I've ran then with the cracks all of last season and they seem to still work fine (It's hard to be an audiophile at 70' back and 23 mph)

Overall I am happy with the speakers
Old     (4white)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-01-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
This speaks volumes about a business!!

As you have read on the thread I had a pair of Kicker tower speakers break down just after the warranty period. This is what has happened since:

David from Earmark Marine (Who I did not purchase my speakers from) suggested I email the online company that I purchased from explaining the situation, which I did. Not surprised by there response that they would not do anything because they were out of the 12 month warranty period by approx 6 weeks. (even though we only can use our boats for 5 months of the year here)

David took the time to put me into contact with Phil from Kicker and they resolved my issue. I had offered to buy replacement speakers from David and he suggested to wait until we had exhausted all options before going down that road. I have not named the company that I dealt with as I believe it would be poor form, but I can't say enough good things about how David and Phil helped me out especially when they had no obligation too.

There is no question that any purchase I make going forward will be from Earmark Car Audio!!

Thanks again to both David and Phil!!!