Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2010, 2:00 PM Reply   
Just received the latest copy of Wakeboarding magazine...

7-page swimsuit section showcasing- Leslie, Lindsay, Nicole, & Stevie. And the boat of choice for the shoot?...

U guessed it...Great day to be an Epic owner (especially that specific one)! I'll leave it at that...
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-30-2010, 11:13 AM Reply   
no wake pics yet?
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-30-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
Mike G - take a look at the link that I post as it has photos in an album titled "Wakestyles 2010" that we ran earlier in the year here in New Zealand on saltwater and if you want freshwater pictures for links off the main page for photos of the North Island champs, hope this helps...

Manga Boats@Facebook
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-30-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
Mike - PM sent
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-31-2010, 1:59 PM Reply   
Any links to that 7-page shoot?
Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-31-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
Take a look at the site I posted above as it has a link to a video of the shoot, think you may have to buy the mag at the mo to see the actual pictures
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-31-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
Well guys........she's for sale.

http://www.northhoustonpowersports.c...01&pov=1814677

Moderator - this is MY boat on a brokers site.
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-01-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
Why you selling Fred?
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-01-2010, 9:06 PM Reply   
Trying for a new one!
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-01-2010, 10:54 PM Reply   
Fred- a new 21v or 23v?
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-02-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
23, to clarify-new to me
Old    ScottRobinson            09-02-2010, 10:50 AM Reply   
Hey Joe, did you ever do the Surf Setup? I have yet to be able to get 400 lbs in the walk or in the surf side to try mine out. Just curious if you had. We run full surf and half front, works for us although would love a huge beast of a wave. Ours I can ride with beer in hand till I am tired, so very nice. Just wondered if you do the whole

Front Full + 400lbs
Surf Side Full +400lbs in locker
25% on plate

I don't run that but going to get some stuff over the winter to make it happen
Old     (MikeyG)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-03-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
Is the reason a lot of people do NOT run the ballast completely full because the wake shape is compromised? Or is it because they just don't care for it to be THAT big? Can you have a nice wake with the ballast topped off?

Does the wake seem to be hard to keep clean? Is it very sensitive to wash out?

My buds SAN is VERY fussy to weight distributuion in the boat. One side would be washed out and I could just lean forward a little bit to clean it right up. If I leaned forward too much the other side would wash out! His boat had 2500 lbs of ballast and a big block python motor...
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-03-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
The reason that most people do not ride with the ballast full is they have no need to. The boat throws the hands down best wake I have ever seen at 1/2 ballast.

I rarely ever fill mine all the way up, and mainly bc I have a driver, rider and a third. The wake gets very touchy with 4K of water in the hull, and is very easy to clean up by moving people around... But with only one person to move around you have to tune the wake in two by draining small amounts of water till you get the weight distribution right.... But its scary fun to ride full up, and there is no drag, its 0-23 mph in 40 yds.
Old    ScottRobinson            09-03-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
I wouldn't say our boats are super sensative but like all boats weight does matter. As far as the Wake goes, I personally just don't want to kill myself on a huge wake. So no reason to load up. I have loaded up, and pulled a guy. It was pretty clean however we did have some wash. I think the big factor on 4000 full pounds is speed. If you are gonna fill full you need to be good enough to ride at 24 -25 MPH. I am not near good enough. My favorite is (with just a driver no spotter) half front full and half port side full. Lip is beautiful and wake is amazing. Our WAKES are much more str8 up and down because of the shape of the back of the hull. If you look at our boats from the back they are almost 90 degree angles which makes for a very steep and rigid wake. HUGE POPPY WAKE is what I call it.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-06-2010, 10:10 AM Reply   
Mike - the wake is sensitive to weight distribution, but not nearly as sensitive as what you go through. With that said, my 7yr old twig boy son can wash the wake by shifting from one side to the other or rather he can clean it up (sounds more positive).

I/we don't run full ballast just based on size on fuel consumption. I personally LOVE full front, 3/8 left, 1/4+ right, 23mph at 70 ft. I have friends that LOVE full on full, 25mph, 85 ft and will kill it all day long, they usually ride expert and outlaw division in comps.

My pics that you see on FB are with that set up that I like. Sometimes a little less if I plan a long day!

Mikey, you should buy my boat!
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-07-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
As I was driving to my ranch to hunt yesterday, my wife hands me the star telegram to put in my lap while im eating. I randomly look down and see there is an article about Lake Arlington, and my boat in the picture...

Just random and thought I would share.

Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
oh man, I only see a red X.
Old    ScottRobinson            09-07-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
Me too! Red x no fun!!
Old     (samhanna)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-07-2010, 10:35 AM Reply   
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52565102@N04/4967840838/

[IMG]asdf[/IMG]

I hate posting photos, never works...

Last edited by samhanna; 09-07-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: photo
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
haha - Pedro and friend like your boat too!
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-10-2010, 10:11 PM Reply   
Anyone made it to Surf Expo yet? Epics looking Epic again:

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-11-2010, 6:32 AM Reply   
Is that a new "surf series"? I see the trim tabs and the cut back platform, are those the only differences? Do the trim tabs help at all? Have they dialed in the surf wave?

I'm suprised they cut the swim step back. I didn't notice it really dragging in the water.
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-11-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Yeah, I am also very interested to know how well the trim tabs help. We notice that the swim deck on port side digs into the water when we have a good lean but not so much on starboard. Wonder if twitch has any pics/vids feedback on how well the 2 xtra trim tabs do or don't help. I remember him saying something about dipping the nose if u aren't careful which may help eliminate the need for the extra 400lbs in the bow walkthru? I'm diggin the black & grey w/blue led's & Wetsounds... black vinyl looks sweet, but has got to b pretty hot...
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-11-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
That's not vinyl. It's neoprene. RipCurl "Wetsuits". The 21V in the earlier pics do not have vinyl either, its a different fabric.

I have noticed the swim platform drag a bit, but they have made them slightly smaller since my boat. I suppose if they really slam it to make the biggest ever surf wake you would need the uber taper swim platform. I like the idea of tri-tabs to really dig the surf side.

The rip curl boat def looks SICK!
Old    ScottRobinson            09-13-2010, 6:52 AM Reply   
Wow, that is very cool looking. Wonder when we will get to see more pictures of it.

Anyway, guys on my side it getting time to put her away for the year. YUCK!! Anyway need some help in the winterize category. Joe can you post instructions or email me something to go from..Thanks

Scott
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-13-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
On a related note how are you Epic guys liking the Samson Edge tower?

It looks great and seems like it's one of the most well thought out designs out there as far as folding and board racks are concerned. This is important for me because I will be folding mine every time I put it in the carport.

I've been strongly considering one for my MasterCraft but it's big money to put on a 10 year old boat.

I was quoted $3,980 for the tower, speaker prewire, racks, bimini and shipping.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-13-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
Scott, I'll hit you with the winterizing later.

Jeff, I love the tower! I have to fold mine every time too, and it's a piece of cake. $4000 is a lot of money, but if you can swing it, I think you'll love it.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-13-2010, 3:09 PM Reply   
What model of Epic is that in the background there with the Monster tower on it?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-13-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
What model of Epic is that in the background there with the Monster tower on it?
Looks like it's got a twin prop I/O too.
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-13-2010, 3:57 PM Reply   
It looks like the all-electric 21se?
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-13-2010, 5:48 PM Reply   
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-13-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
Ahh, I tried to post a better pic of the 21 electric via a link. Oh well.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-13-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
I was able to open the link and check out the pics. That RipCurl boat is sweeeet!!!!
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2010, 10:15 PM Reply   
Hey those are my trim tabs!! haha whats up guys? been a while, I've had a long summer. When I get a chance I'll give you an idea of how the epic worked out this summer. That epic looks sick though I'm diggin the grey and blue. We are gonna have blue added to the rear even though its illegal. The blue/red which equals pink looks super dope at night. Im at school in Missoula right now with none of my photos so once I get them I will try and post.
Old    mojo            09-13-2010, 10:27 PM Reply   
all other things aside, how lame is epics transom stereo? there's no way water does not wash up onto the speakers constantly. and the sound falls easily over h20.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-14-2010, 7:07 AM Reply   
Mojo, Are you kidding, or just trying to be funny? The transom audio works awesome. It's super loud and clear. And the best part is that it's behind everyone else in the boat. I can have it cranked up, and not blast the people in the boat. I don't know how you could make it any better. It's true that they get wet when the boat stops, but the speakers are some kind of rubber. The water doesn't seem to hurt them at all.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-14-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
My buddy put JL Audio's in the transom of his running off of Alpine PDX 4.150's and it's so freakin loud back there it's not funny! I think it works better than tower speakers.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       09-14-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
I would imagine it would be nice to have the headroom too for taller guys to not have to worry about hitting their heads on the speakers
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-14-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
The transom audio is probably my favorite part of the boat. Placement of what are essentially tower speakers does not get any better than this. Check my profile picture for my transom setup. 8 wet sounds xs-650's. They are meant to and do get wet, no problems.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-14-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
As you can see from the pictures. The 2011 Epic's have an improved audio system. They feature a full Wet Sounds system with a redesigned transom audio system.

The inside of the boat features 3 pairs of XS-650 in-boat speakers with an XS-12 in a fiberglass enclosure under the drivers foot well. Powering the system is a 1000 watt SYN-6 amplifier. In the transom is 4 pairs of XS-650 across the back for amazing volume for the rider. Powering the transom is a 800 watt SYN-4 amplifier. So 1800 watts in a factory system!!

At the front end is a WS-420 EQ set up for independent control of the interior and the transom. And the option to have an Aqautic AV head unit.

Also as an upgrade available for the first time for those that really want to go crazy. You can add the Double Up oo the tower powered by a SYN-4 with a separate volume control. So 2600 watts factory installed.

The Rip Curl boat was really sweet. The wet suit material seats were pretty cool and comfy. It also had triple trim tabs for surfing, a cut back swim deck for surfing and fresh air exhaust built in from the factory. The IO is an all electric boat. The electric boats are becoming big over in Europe that have regulations for combustible engine boats on certain water ways. Some of the lakes require very expensive permits to put a gas powered boat on the water. So an electric boat is expensive when compared to a gas boat but can be less when comparing it to a gas boat and a permit.

The two electric vehicles are really wild. The car is a 3 wheeled sports car that does 0-60 in under 4 seconds. The off road ATV is an all electric vehicle that can pretty much climb straight up a wall. Since both are all electric, the torque response is wild.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-14-2010, 10:53 AM Reply   
Holy crap Tim! That boat must ROCK!!!! That's a helluva factory sound system right there!
Old    mojo            09-14-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
i like the idea, but it just seems that the speakers will fail sooner rather than later. the looks are good, the idea is good, and the ease on passengers ears is good, but do they really last?
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-14-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
MOJO - had my boat since 2007, surfed it, waked it, slammed it, yes they last. I just replaced mine due to an upgrade to Kicker from the Clarion. I am an owner since Sept 2007. Yes the Clarions lasted this long and those are garbage compared to the Wetsounds or even the Kickers that are in there.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-14-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Here are more pics of the EPIC Surf Expo booth.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...00001282487990
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-15-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
That neoprene is kind of trippy. I guess I am thrown off by the dark colors on the interior of a boat. It looks good but it looks so out of place in a good way.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-23-2010, 3:15 PM Reply   
Well, the weather here is starting to suck pretty bad. I haven't had a chance to get on the boat in a few weeks. I'm holding out hope for a couple more sessions, but it doesn't look good.

I started making a list of things I want to do over the winter that I put off all summer.

The very first thing I need to do is give the boat a really good scrubbing and a coat of wax. That's not a mod, but it really needs to be done.
I still haven't gotten my step plates from my friend. I've pretty much given up on them, but who knows.
I'm definitely putting in a cooler drain. Being that it's the lowest point on the hull, I need to get that done for sure.
I need to remount my amps off the wall with some spacers, and install some cooling fans. We had a couple days over the summer when they got hot.

I've been kicking around maybe making some led light rings for the speakers. I don't know if it's going to happen, but it made the list.
I was also thinking about making a surfboard rack for the top of the tower.

That's it for now, but I'm sure I'll end up making that list a lot longer.
Old    ScottRobinson            09-24-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
Joe....

My list...
1. Put the camo flooring on the gunnels (have some coming straight from Epic)
2. Wind dam (still didn't get that done this year)
3. Surfboard Rack is going to be a Christmas gift from someone !!! lol
4. If I can get Epic to send me more flooring I am wanting to pull the carpet under the drivers feet.
5. Clean of course...started yesterday actually.
6. Fix my FAE...I think it is an inch off center which throws my wake off just a bit (Washes out one side)
7. (THOUGHT) Take one of the surf locker hatches and convert it to flooring material, then also convert a corner seat to flooring so I have a step through. Haven't a total clue if this is doable and even if it would look right, but with 4 little kids I think it is something I want to look at.

Joe, also I need some help with the whole process of protecting my boat for the winter. Can you give me the heads up on that in an email. Or should I just call you? Let me know.
Old     (colombiansurfer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-24-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
That is a nice boat! Tim, good job! Looks like Fineline did a good job on the build quality too!
Old    ScottRobinson            09-24-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Joe...that drain is gonna be nice...I am thinking of converting the seat behind the driver into a cooler. For us the floor just hasn't been a great place for our stuff. The ICE just doesn't last very long. Wish they would have lined it with something to make it better.
Old    ScottRobinson            10-05-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
Well DAMNIT...pulled a dumb ass attack. Went out this morning to frost and a good bit of it. Have the boat with cushions out and cover on in driveway. Talked to Joe about a week ago about winterizing the boat just didn't do it. So wake up look outside and start to panic. Serious frost cover and boat cover has water on it that is solid ice. WTF it was low of 40 last night here....guess weather people SUCK ASS !!! Anyway run down throw sweatshirt on and go out. Grab the pump to pump the engine and hope that I hear water falling out...whew I do after about 4 pumps. So don't think I hurt anything and maybe we needed much longer of a freeze to hurt anything but thoughts? So, I pumped it about 20 times and heard a **** ton of water fall out of the engine which I thought is good. Should have done it the other night JOE but didn't..lol got lazy.... don't think it is hurt but just venting I guess a bit at my stupidity. I am going to get it all done tonight and just put it up for the year in the barn. Uggg can't believe I did that !!!
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-05-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hi Scott

I know the feeling, it can be a very scary moment... our toys are pretty expensive....

But, your boat should be fine. Your boat is black with a black cover and it does warm up rapidly during the day. The engine and engine bay retain heat pretty well and a few hours below 32f during the night will not freeze anything in your boat.

I usually fit a 100w lights in the engine compartment and run it at night when it is near the freezing point just to be on the safe side before I winterize it.

Serge
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-05-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Scott,

I would not worry too much about it either. The cover is subject to the "bridge" effect, lots of cold air hitting it. There was lots of discussion about this last year here on the Gulf Coast in TX because we had a particularly cold winter. I think we had 3 consecutive nights of freezing temps with snow, yes that makes it a cold winter here. Given the placement of your engine and how much fiberglass, foam, etc surrounds your engine bay, it will take some time before the temps reach freezing in there. Serge nailed it with the black cover and black hull, if you had sun shining on it all day, it was compartatively warmer in the engine bay.

To respond to our freezing temps I use a drop light also, actually 2, one under each exhaust manifold. I plan to use a fridge thermometer this year to make it a science project and find out the difference between outside and inside on those freezing nights. I will still drain my water from the passages but just want to know anyway.
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-09-2010, 7:54 PM Reply   
I cannot find the recommended 25W-40 quicksilver anywhere around me and I'm trying not to have to have it shipped. Does anyone else use something different? I can get 15W-40 and 20W-50 in conventional. synthetic, and hybrid. Thanks guys.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-09-2010, 8:33 PM Reply   
I use a 20-50 full synthetic Amsoil in my Volvo. Recommended by the Volvo Penta Dealer/Repair Shop.
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-10-2010, 5:29 AM Reply   
Mine is the Mercruiser and it calls for Quicksilver 25W-40.
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-17-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
I know Epic started doing touch screen controls on their hybrid and all electric boats, maybe it will trickle down to the 23V and 21V? Programmable ballast settings would be great!
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-26-2011, 3:36 AM Reply   
Hi guys

Its time to revive the threads...

I'm getting my 2011 23v in the next few weeks (ordered back in october) and I'm planing to build a wind dam, etc.

On another note, I would like to know if you have heard anything about possible changes on the 23v.

I have been told:
- manufacturing improvements since they moved to the new factory (caddo http://www.caddoboats.com/)
- move from a no option boat to a base boat with options
- price increase
- Engine change base engine with an optional mcx 8.2 (8.1 discontinued - confirmed)

ST
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-26-2011, 3:35 PM Reply   
We built a new box for my buddy's 12" W7. Just replacing the old box that was a little too small. We put it under the helm. We are going to make a false front covered in the 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber to cover the front up and make it look all pretty. First picture is with only 1/2 of it assembled, the outer piece is just sitting on it. I did it this way so that we could paint the whole thing with truck bed coating stuff and then assemble. We couldn't find marine grade plywood here in Colorado so we just used MDF. This is in his '07 23V.
Attached Images

Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-27-2011, 8:41 AM Reply   
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...C-23V-97101949
Some changes?!
Old    ScottRobinson            02-28-2011, 8:22 AM Reply   
Ready to get my 2011 out and get on the water. Stupid question, but going to ask. Had the boat winterized, so when it gets to be lake time do I just grab her and put her in and start? Anything I need to do prior to starting her up?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       02-28-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
You are going to need to take her back to the dealer/shop and get her de-winterized.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
Scott, see if whomever winterized it will de-winterize it for free. Did they give you a breakdown of what they did? It's critical that you pull the pressure relief valve, or else you can cook your mufflers.
Old    ScottRobinson            03-01-2011, 7:11 AM Reply   
Ok, I will call. I don't have a muffler anymore on her! Took her out and put straight pipe on (Joe S helped) Anyway have an FAE so it is more quiet now than it was with the muffler. I am thinking of putting the muffler back on this year and running the FAE too.

Guess I will have to call and have him tell me what to do so I can run her. Thanks.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-02-2011, 1:01 PM Reply   
Then you will cook your rubber components of your exhaust, I am guessing. I have never had to have my boat winterized. I drain the water from the impellar, exaust rail and heat exchanger and that was it. To dewinterize - I hook up the hose, allow the impeller to get wet and start. Lots less to do with closed loop cooling and Houston winters!
Old     (pilsner31)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-06-2011, 12:32 PM Reply   
Just seen a new 21V at the boat show this weekend. Wow, 3200 lbs of ballast in under 90 seconds with the new style. All wetsounds system with surf tabs to boot. Love it. Anyways, I'm thinking I want to add piano hinges to four of my seat bottoms this year. Anyone thought of this or done it already?
Old     (silverthunder)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-06-2011, 2:23 PM Reply   
The new (2011) 23v also comes with the new fast fill ballast system. The picture shows a 23v after a tank test.
Attached Images

Last edited by silverthunder; 03-06-2011 at 2:26 PM.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-07-2011, 9:49 PM Reply   
So I am curious if the bow tank is fast fill/gated too? looks like there are three ports in the back for all three tanks. would the tank in the front be far enough forward that it might be hard to fill with the gravity fed system (especially if it was not filled first)?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-08-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
As long as the top of the tank is below the water line, it's going to fill.
Old     (txaggie929)      Join Date: May 2011       05-21-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
Hey guys,

New Epic 23V owner here as of yesterday. Got a 2011 23V....but one problem right now. I'm attempting to follow Tuneman's process below to get the tower under 7 feet, but that thing ain't budging 1" below 8'. I'm a decent sized guy and I have a budy trying to help me do this, and we're putting quite a bit of pressure and it ain't moving. Did Epic change towers for 2011?

Any help would be greatly appreaciated because I sure do want to get this thing in my 7ft garage and not have to pay a storage fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneman View Post
Ok, to get the tower to under 7 feet:

Unscrew the two levers and let the tower fold down (make sure your racks are turned 90 degrees to the back!). At this point, it'll fit an 8 foot garage.

Now, climb under the tower so you are standing in between the dash and the tower (if you aren't there already). Turn around, so you're facing the transom. On each side of you, there will be an arm from the tower pointing toward you. These arms have the threaded shafts on the ends from the levers you just unscrewed.

Apply an even pressure on both arms and push straight down. The folded sides of the tower will then go over-center and the whole tower will lower another foot. Voila!

At the lowest point, your racks might rest on the vinyl on the sides. I used a life jacket for extra padding between the racks and vinyl.
Old     (txaggie929)      Join Date: May 2011       05-25-2011, 8:00 PM Reply   
Has anything ever developed with the fold-down swim platform design? I'd def be interested as I now have to build a shelter for my Epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmoomba View Post
Alrighty Joe, I'm here and very impressed with the mods everyone is doing.

2. Fold down swim platform bracket. I do believe we are past the initial design phase of this project and I am waiting to hear back on current progress. I hope to have a prototype ready very soon, again I am waiting to hear back. The idea will be that the swim platform will slide out and then fold down to make it easier to back into storage as well as provide more space in your storage unit/garage. I also need to justify to them to further this endeavor. Please let me know your interests by PM, I do not want to hijack this thread, unless you guys are ok with posting up here.

Fred
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-26-2011, 5:16 AM Reply   
The short answer is - no

I had emailed them a while back after it was stalled due to his own personal emergency. I never heard back. I ran across that email and had been meaning to call him about it. I think his biggest thing was that epic didn't want to make it a standard, that also was some time ago.

I will try him again and if any updated come available I will post back up.

I am at the point that I may just make my own.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-26-2011, 5:17 AM Reply   
I also think that since there was a real lack of interest from our little group here that didn't help.
Post up if you are interested so I can use this as support to get them rolling on it again.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-26-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
I like the idea, however aren't there more important things to deal with other than a folding swim platform. JMO...I would like to see a walk thru under the surf compartment so you could open that and have a hard surface to walk on rather than your cushions. Or what about making the FAE standard, bow filler cushion or wind dam? Any of those make more sense to me for Epic to work on rather than the folding swim step.

I have a 2012 23V coming and should be here June 1 (I hope) I will have the first 8.2 engine in it from what I have been told by Epic. The thing I am most looking forward to see is the Wetsounds, and the swim step cuts. They have cut the swim step on either side for surfing.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-26-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
Hey,Scott, I like way put that, read sarcasm.

I suppose what's important is relative to the invidual. Since I have already made my playpen cushion and am working on the walk through those aren't important to me.

Storage is an issue with the folding swim platform for me and others.

Congrats on your new 2012 with the first 8.2 (according to EPIC).
Old     (txaggie929)      Join Date: May 2011       05-26-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
Thanks for the quick reply Fred. Just thought I'd double check before I get to building and see if I couldn't save some money on materials.

I just got off the phone with Epic's rep for the Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX area and he did confirm that I had a Skylon tower, but now Epic has gone back to Samson because they can get them at a reasonable cost again. He also said that they used about 4 different trailer builders over the past couple years that could vary boat height by as much as 6-8". I guess overall it was a complete crapshoot whether it would have fit in my 7' garage, regardless of the tower.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-26-2011, 11:51 AM Reply   
Yeah sometimes I take what they say with a grain of salt...first this first that.....who knows, who cares. Just work and work right !! lol
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-26-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
Paul, I figured you had One of those ridiculously tall trailers. Perhaps l
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
The new swim platform looks like this:
Attached Images

Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-26-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
I thInk I got the ball rolling again. Vague I know but thats where the convo was left.