Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-10-2014, 10:21 AM Reply   
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-10-2014, 10:38 AM Reply   
WOW now I have room for a few lawn chairs on my swim grid to eat lunch
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-10-2014, 10:47 AM Reply   
Looks like they are driving in a circle to get a surf wave.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-10-2014, 10:54 AM Reply   
There had been rumors that Bryant was going to bring something to the market but I think a lot of people who knew about it thought that it would be an inboard. It's well done, for an I/O. That's about all I can say about it.

I still think that if you watersports are a priority, you should get an inboard. However, this may be a better solution for coastal boaters and such.
Old     (Throwaway1)      Join Date: Nov 2013       09-10-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
wait until you see the bennington...
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-10-2014, 11:29 AM Reply   
I feel that I will always personally be driven to inboards due to my propensity towards smaller lakes, smooth water and inboards overall performance with watersports, but I like the looks of this.

If it performs as they say it does, I say why not. I would like to see pictures of it out of the water to understand how far you actually are from the prop.
http://www.madisonboathouse.com/Page...ort-Porch.aspx

Sport Porch indeed.

Last edited by wakebordr11; 09-10-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2014, 11:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshesaid View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-10-2014, 11:56 AM Reply   
Price?
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-10-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
Can't wait for the local Sheriff to have a field day with this one. Legal distance or not, we all know they will ignore the facts and come up with some BS reason to hassle you about surfing behind and I/O.

Other than that, it will probably cost $50-60k which at that point most buyers will buy an inboard.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-10-2014, 12:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtech View Post
Can't wait for the local Sheriff to have a field day with this one. Legal distance or not, we all know they will ignore the facts and come up with some BS reason to hassle you about surfing behind and I/O.

Other than that, it will probably cost $50-60k which at that point most buyers will buy an inboard.
How exactly does the local sheriff know if you are surfing behind a V-drive or an IO right now inthe world?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-10-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
^Exactly. In most areas the average water cop has no clue the difference between a in board or I/O. I mean I have had inboards for 28 years now and sometimes with new boats I have a tough time telling at a distance. If you haven't noticed a lot of I/O's come with towers and are modeled to look a lot like an Inboard Vdrive. In the water when you can't see the running gear its tough to know.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-10-2014, 12:45 PM Reply   
Cool. This will give those that want a stern drive the opportunity to own one enjoy surfing safely. Not everyone wants an inboard for a variety of reasons. I know that most here couldn't possibly fathom that but its true.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-10-2014, 1:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Cool. This will give those that want a stern drive the opportunity to own one enjoy surfing safely. Not everyone wants an inboard for a variety of reasons. I know that most here couldn't possibly fathom that but its true.
I agree and there's lots of people that have inboards that I wish would've bought an I/O because they can't hardly drive a boat around docks and park in the first place let alone an inboard they can't figure out how to reverse or maneuver.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-10-2014, 5:17 PM Reply   
What exactly is a "legal distance" for surfing, and in what jurisdiction?
I only know of the Darwin distance and that shows up over time.
Old     (delbert)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-10-2014, 6:07 PM Reply   
Interesting... John Dorton used to be the head guy over at Mastercraft. I remember seeing him in the Mastercraft Rewind DVDs that they handed out at the boat show. That would give them a knowledgeable resource in wake sport hull design. I know there are benefits to an I/O but I prefer how an inboard boat drives and handles.

Disclaimer...I have not been in anything newer than a 2005 I/O or a 2003 Vdrive.

Confession...Watching Mastercraft's Rewind DVDs has gotten me through many a winters. I find it helps relieve the headaches, cold sweats, and shakes that come from summer withdrawal.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-10-2014, 6:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebordr11 View Post
How exactly does the local sheriff know if you are surfing behind a V-drive or an IO right now inthe world?
When he see's you put it in the water at the dock. Trust me, they might not know everything but some of them (the ones on my lake) do. He is my neighbor and patrols 3-4 days a week and is very in tune with the in's and outs of boats and safety.

Off topic: My buddy got a $500 ticket for not slowing down in a normal channel (not a no-wake zone) when the Sheriff insisted with "hand signals" and yelling at him to slow down. No lights on the Sheriff boat, no signs, no on the water incidents. Buddy calls the County clerk to find out when he can request a hearing. The clerk said the Sheriff never turned in the ticket to them to process. Ticket dropped. Just another example of them over reaching for no reason which I would suspect them to do in this case, legal or not.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-10-2014, 6:45 PM Reply   
From what I have heard, this boat is directed to the entry level water sport fans with a family enviroment in mind. From the Bryant boats I have been on, they are top notch in quality. A coworker is a huge Bryant fan and told me he sold his 2002 Bryant for the same price he paid for it 5 years ago. He had no plans to sell it. He was just taking it on a demo for a friend. He bought another, larger, newer one right after. I will be honest, I have never ridden on one but I have drank beer on a few. Seem like a nice boats to me. If I get invited to ride on one, I will definitely give a review of the wake and compare it to my Axis.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-10-2014, 6:58 PM Reply   
Is it so complicated for them to reverse the engine, and toss on a v-drive?

I've been wondering when Sea-Ray, Cobalt... would enter the surfing industry, i thought it would be with a surfing v-drive.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-10-2014, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtech View Post
When he see's you put it in the water at the dock. Trust me, they might not know everything but some of them (the ones on my lake) do. He is my neighbor and patrols 3-4 days a week and is very in tune with the in's and outs of boats and safety.

Off topic: My buddy got a $500 ticket for not slowing down in a normal channel (not a no-wake zone) when the Sheriff insisted with "hand signals" and yelling at him to slow down. No lights on the Sheriff boat, no signs, no on the water incidents. Buddy calls the County clerk to find out when he can request a hearing. The clerk said the Sheriff never turned in the ticket to them to process. Ticket dropped. Just another example of them over reaching for no reason which I would suspect them to do in this case, legal or not.
So I will now counter with:

Show me the law that states it is illegal to surf behind an I/O. I feel like you might be trolling me, but I digress.

If your overreaching alleged sheriff neighbor, which makes me question your judgement in not befriending this guy since you see him so often, has a problem with surfing any boat, it isn't due to it being an I/O or due to the persons relative distance to the prop. It's carbon monoxide risk/fears and teak surfing that is illegal and hence why surfers in certain areas get hassled, type of boat has nothing to do with it. Yet I am interested to see these laws.

On a strictly personal level, the wild platform this thing has, I would be okay surfing behind it without fear. I've never had a body part so much as go under the teak platform while surfing, and if I am riding with the nose of the board touching the platform, I am likely closer to the prop than you would riding behind this boat.

Intrigued. If these are priced competitively and additional makers enter the market with additional innovations and technology to closely mimic wakeboat performance, we may be able to see less ridiculous jet boats and potentially see more competitive wakeboat prices if the competition is stiff enough - one can dream anyway, but competition is always a good thing.
Old     (jtech)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-10-2014, 7:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
So I will now counter with:

Show me the law that states it is illegal to surf behind an I/O. I feel like you might be trolling me, but I digress.

If your overreaching alleged sheriff neighbor, which makes me question your judgement in not befriending this guy since you see him so often, has a problem with surfing any boat, it isn't due to it being an I/O or due to the persons relative distance to the prop. It's carbon monoxide risk/fears and teak surfing that is illegal and hence why surfers in certain areas get hassled, type of boat has nothing to do with it. Yet I am interested to see these laws.

On a strictly personal level, the wild platform this thing has, I would be okay surfing behind it without fear. I've never had a body part so much as go under the teak platform while surfing, and if I am riding with the nose of the board touching the platform, I am likely closer to the prop than you would riding behind this boat.

Intrigued. If these are priced competitively and additional makers enter the market with additional innovations and technology to closely mimic wakeboat performance, we may be able to see less ridiculous jet boats and potentially see more competitive wakeboat prices if the competition is stiff enough - one can dream anyway, but competition is always a good thing.
No trolling here my friend. And my neighbor is not the problem, it's his fellow officers that tend to blow things out of proportion on occasion. My point being that like my other neighbor, you can be minding your own business, following the law as it is and they will, at times try to dig up stuff to stick on you. I could be guilty of stirring the pot in this case, but I have read the threads years ago about them thinking that surfing was teak surfing and writing tickets. Eventually it all works it's way out in Court, the Sheriff gets some education and the fine gets dropped but who wants to deal with that when all we want to do is enjoy our limited time on the water?

I also attached a Google maps pic of my "alleged" Sheriff neighbor. His name is Duane and he is a great guy.
Attached Images

Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-10-2014, 8:08 PM Reply   
One of my boat regulars has a Bryant boat and he was looking at adding the swim step thing... It's a really nice boat, but I'm not sure I would put more money into it vs just upgrading.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2014, 8:21 PM Reply   
uh...this reminds me of the "cinnamon roll" Bagel I saw at the store the other day... why not just get a cinnamon roll AND a bagel...stop making other things into things they shouldnt be.

V-drive or bust.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-10-2014, 8:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
uh...this reminds me of the "cinnamon roll" Bagel I saw at the store the other day... why not just get a cinnamon roll AND a bagel...stop making other things into things they shouldnt be.

V-drive or bust.
Why don't you try the cinnamon roll bagel!? Toast it and put some butter on that biotch and you soon will come to know what you're missing! Best part is NO RAISINS!! The Bryant eh prob not missing much but if you're an i/o manufacturer I'm sure you want to find a way to get a piece of the wakesurfing bagel craze too
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-10-2014, 8:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass10after View Post
Why don't you try the cinnamon roll bagel!? Toast it and put some butter on that biotch and you soon will come to know what you're missing! Best part is NO RAISINS!! The Bryant eh prob not missing much but if you're an i/o manufacturer I'm sure you want to find a way to get a piece of the wakesurfing bagel craze too
Man, im very reluctant.. I like my bagels bagelly and my cinnamon rolls cinnamon rolly..... same goes for "cronuts" crossant donuts.... (HOW THE F DO YOU SPELL CROSANT?!)

My suggestion to those I/O guys trying to get a piece of the pie.... make an inboard
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-10-2014, 9:18 PM Reply   
Having an I/O doesn't have to be the kiss of death for water sports. Aside from the props extending beyond the transom, they actually can have some upside. Counter rotating dual props and the ability to alter gear ratios can provide exceptional prop bite for acceleration and speed stability. The ability to trim the outdrive gives another system to alter hull dynamics in relation to speed. As these boats get even larger and heavier, the single prop fixed shaft angle drive configuration will be hard pressed to keep up with a high horsepower, low geared duo-prop setup. If the I/O guys can solve the inherent safety issues by getting creative with the platform or hull design, and wake shape and size, they may have a shot at making inroads into the market.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-10-2014, 9:34 PM Reply   
Wakeworld week in review.... Bryant IO for surfing gets tentative thumbs up. Sanger matrix210 gets thumbs down.

WTF?

Carry on.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-10-2014, 10:33 PM Reply   
Shawn, I know what one I'd pick. It might even be close in price.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-10-2014, 10:48 PM Reply   
When I saw this boat, I assumed it must be very reasonably priced. However, the guy at the show said it was $90,000. That seems high to me, but I don't really knwo that much about I/O boats since I sold my Glastron tri-hull 15 years ago!
Old     (pipeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-11-2014, 4:15 AM Reply   
This thread is interesting to me. I own an I/O. It's a 2001 cobalt 226. a buddy of mine decided to sell it one day. I was familiar with the boat, it came at a time i was interested, and it was in my price range so i said why not. I'm definitely not the entry level watersports fan.... and I'm not really into wakesurfing, so that was never an issue for me, but the wakeboarding wake i felt was easily comparable to a 2004 malibu wakesetter. (i know, kinda old...)
It had a few upgrades done to it before i got it... PP, tower, extended platform... and it has some sacks and bags in it we never take out or empty...

I'd have to admit, I haven't been on or behind any newer boats really, so I don't have much to compare it to, and the last thing I *drove* regularly was a 1998 Malibu Sunsetter. But I am pretty happy with the I/O. I do like how it drives, and how it handles the chop and larger waves... We havent had a wave roll over the side since we've owned it. We used to get a wave or two soak us on my buddies boats (2004 malibu and and older sanger).

My next boat will most definitely be an inboard, just because that's what i've always wanted, and the technology on the newer boats is definitely built with what i love in mind, but at the same time, if the price is right,(so far sounds a little high) i can see a decent amount of people buying this new bryant I/O, and its got to be 1000 times better than mine.

Maybe i just havent been given a real piece of pie yet. Most of you probably dont care, but i'll take you out and give you a tow on mine for a tow on yours. you can drive it too.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-11-2014, 7:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatshesaid View Post
Just watched it... every shot of the surf wake, they're driving in circles.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-11-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
I need to point my dad at this. He is dead set on an I/O despite having have worked for Brendella building inboards.
I hope they did something better than Mastercraft surf tabs on this :grabs popcorn:
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-11-2014, 10:51 AM Reply   
What I wondr is if this is patented because I can see all the other I/o companies following suit if it sells good.
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-11-2014, 10:53 AM Reply   
I personally know the Dortons and I have to say they are great people and Bryant makes a great boat . I think it is great that now even the I/o buyers can enjoy surfing and wakeboarding like we all have...
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       09-11-2014, 11:14 AM Reply   
I don't quite understand the I/O hate on this board. This boat is not something I would want, especially for surfing and even more so at that price point, but an I/O boat can still be fun.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-11-2014, 12:17 PM Reply   
I have a Sanger I/O. It's an old barefoot/slalom boat. All the rest of my friends have V-Drives... MC, Centurion, Malibu. When they get in my boat they go nuts and start power turning because it's so much fun to drive compared to their boats. I tell them to stop and they giggle like little school girls. Not all I/O's are like your Grandpa's I/O. Some actually perform as good or better than V-Drives so you can't say all I/O's are dogs.

Never been on a Bryant but if they know how to build a wake hull I don't see why it wouldn't be able to throw a nice wakeboard wake and surf wake. It would be interesting to see how it handles.

That being said, if I was into surfing I would still buy a V-Drive.
Old     (Austinb23)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-11-2014, 7:10 PM Reply   
well all i have to say is at least they didn't start saying how much better it is than an inboard and i kinda thing it looks like a newer moomba lsv with the tower and windshield
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-11-2014, 7:24 PM Reply   
That is a great looking boat. I really like what they have done with styling, gel and interior. It is basically an i/o version of a current wakeboard vdrive. That said, if it was a penny over 50k I would't buy it. In the end it is still an I/O. Changing the interior styling, adding PP, ballast, tower and a longer platform still doesn't turn it into a tournament inboard.

I have always thought I/Os were completely overpriced. They include the length of their molded in swim platform so an I/O listed as a 22' boat is actually closer to a 20' boat as far as interior space goes. For example, when I was selling boats we sold Four winns as well as centurion and mastercraft. The four winns were really nice boats but their 220(22') open bow was more like 20' from the transom to tip of the bow. They were priced in the 40K range if I remember correctly and that was for a boat without tower, ballast, PP, amps, heater and a 270hp 5.7L. They were about the same price as a Centurion Elite V withe tower, racks, bimini, center ballast and heater. The Centurion was just flat out more boat. In my opinion the overall quality of the centurion and four winns were about the same as well.

Last edited by polarbill; 09-11-2014 at 7:28 PM.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-11-2014, 7:26 PM Reply   
http://www.boatingmag.com/bryant-boa...w-surf-edition

"The consumer who wants to board 100% of the time are going to stick with inboards,” John Dorton said. The Bryant Surf editions will range in retail price from the mid-$40 to upper $80 thousand dollar range. “Our price points make surfing much more affordable to that general marine consumer as well,”

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...bout-102337339

Look at that "Porch"! That thing is huge and ugly. I wonder how much that affects the wake.

Also 55k for the 22' version, at that price you have many v-drive options to go to instead. Overpriced for a compromise boat.

Also it's not the first surfable sterndrive.
There was a huge Centurion that was an I/O that had the outdrive do far underneath the hull. I want to say it was a "Typhoon" or something, limited production mainly made for the CEO and the rest made to justify it, but it does exist and did before these did.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-11-2014, 7:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post

"The consumer who wants to board 100% of the time are going to stick with inboards,” John Dorton said. The Bryant Surf editions will range in retail price from the mid-$40 to upper $80 thousand dollar range. “Our price points make surfing much more affordable to that general marine consumer as well,”

Look at that "Porch"! That thing is huge and ugly. I wonder how much that affects the wake.

Also 55k for the 22' version, at that price you have many v-drive options to go to instead. Overpriced for a compromise boat.

There was a huge Centurion that was an I/O that had the outdrive do far underneath the hull. I want to say it was a "Typhoon" or something, limited production mainly made for the CEO and the rest made to justify it, but it does exist and did before these did.
Now, I am sure that is retail but 55k for what they list as a 21' boat, but is actually closer to 20' when you take out the molded in platform is crazy.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-11-2014, 7:36 PM Reply   
More like 19.5 because I have never seen a swim platform that's only 12" long. Then you add on an additional 2-3 feet for the porch attachment. After it's all said and done you have a 24-25' boat tip to tip that is only a 19.5 foot from bow to transom
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-12-2014, 6:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phathom View Post

What V-drive options?

Moomba LSV which is a 21'? Axis T-22? Some 20' V-drives like the R20 and A20? Maybe a stripped down A-22. Maybe a stripped down Mondo?

Watch the video and read about it, the porch is like an extended planing surface/tab. It is supposed to help planing at low speeds and wake shape - not sure if it does or not but it is an integral part of the hull by their explanation.

55k is going to bring them business from a bunch of people - in my opinion. It won't be people from Wakeworld, but alas, the world is bigger than Wakeworld
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-12-2014, 6:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
What V-drive options?

Moomba LSV which is a 21'? Axis T-22? Some 20' V-drives like the R20 and A20? Maybe a stripped down A-22. Maybe a stripped down Mondo?

Watch the video and read about it, the porch is like an extended planing surface/tab. It is supposed to help planing at low speeds and wake shape - not sure if it does or not but it is an integral part of the hull by their explanation.

55k is going to bring them business from a bunch of people - in my opinion. It won't be people from Wakeworld, but alas, the world is bigger than Wakeworld
My impression is that the sport porch is just the extended swim platform. It sounds like it has surf tabs in addition to the porch.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-12-2014, 6:44 AM Reply   
looking at the add for that 210 and some other stuff that 21' (listed), sub 20' (interior space), over 25' (LOA) boat for 55k doesn't mention anything about a surf series with ballast, speed control and tabs.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-12-2014, 6:45 AM Reply   
I do like the unicorn pinata on a skateboard or whatever it is with fireworks.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-12-2014, 8:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
looking at the add for that 210 and some other stuff that 21' (listed), sub 20' (interior space), over 25' (LOA) boat for 55k doesn't mention anything about a surf series with ballast, speed control and tabs.
Wait a minute, did I just get fooled by a statement akin to the $50k all day!??
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-12-2014, 10:06 AM Reply   
"but alas, the world is bigger than Wakeworld "

Say it isn't so Delta Force! Just say it isn't so!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-12-2014, 10:20 AM Reply   
If you go on Bryant's website they put the price of the 233X that is in the video at between $64000 and $78000. There are good new tow boats that can be had at those prices. Now we are going to see Chaparral come back with their surfing ads again.
Old     (Ronskal1)      Join Date: Sep 2014       09-12-2014, 12:33 PM Reply   
Misc ramblings on my part....
Bryant's are very well made (Cobalts are too) and if I was Mr. Dorton I would do the same thing. Capture a piece of an emerging trend.
Not my cup o tea.
Is that thing running bow high or what?
Nice looking boat.
The guys I am surfing with tell me to turn slightly to the left also, our secret is out! I guess it helps enhance the wake out further?
Is that wake as small as I think it is.
I'm spastic enough to get stuck in that multi-tiered platform doohickey.
How much is this thing?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-12-2014, 1:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
My impression is that the sport porch is just the extended swim platform. It sounds like it has surf tabs in addition to the porch.
That's what it sounds like to me. Not that it is integral, but are add-ons throughout their line of boats as options.

Also about what boats you can get, sure those are bew options for that price. But there are tons of lightly used options you can get for 55k all day long.
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-12-2014, 10:16 PM Reply   
Here's a picture of the same setup driving in a straight line. I was there driving the boat, and it puts out a fun surf wake that anyone would enjoy.

The 233x is a great all around boat. The guys with the top of the line inboard boats are not the market Bryant is seeking. Bryant is bringing their many years of watersports background to a market that involves consumers that don't want to buy a boat and use it 100% of the time for wakeboarding and wakesurfing, which is the majority of the the pie out there.

If any out there are doubting the capabilities or quality of this boat, I'd be honored to have you come out to Knoxville for me to show you the manufacturing process and take you out on a 233.
Attached Images

Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       09-12-2014, 10:38 PM Reply   
Also, as I'm reading here, The sportporch is an extended platform that will get you a safe distance away from the prop. It's also a great feature to have when your out tied-up in a line of boats or swimming with your family and friends. As you can see in the picture it does cut into the wave a little, but not enough to effect the wave at all. At wakeboard speeds, it will not touch the water. The trim tabs are also on this boat, and help clean up the wave quite a bit.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-13-2014, 5:06 AM Reply   
A boat like this would be perfect for my buddy. He is just getting into surfing but most of his time on the water is cruising or anchored at the beach. You do not see many inboards on lake Erie and for good reason, it can get huge real quick. Plus he likes to be able to trim up and back up close to the beach
Around here you would have a hard time talking someone into an inboard because they most likely have never been on one with a deeper v. I could see him being very interested in this and guys like him are who they are after.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-13-2014, 7:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
The guys with the top of the line inboard boats are not the market Bryant is seeking. Bryant is bringing their many years of watersports background to a market that involves consumers that don't want to buy a boat and use it 100% of the time for wakeboarding and wakesurfing,
The inboard market made this same shift 6-8 years ago. What was once a bow rider family, wanted better watersport performance, without giving up too much of the bow rider feel, size and comfort. Larger, wider inboards, v-drives specifically, with more storage and a bow ride like comfortable ride is what came to market. Boats like this Bryant, look to be aimed at taking back some of that lost market share. As long as its no more dangerous than surfing a v-drive, and id like to hear that from those in the industry like law enforcement and pro riders, etc, then more power to them for going after the family friendly casual watersports enthusiast.
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-13-2014, 7:30 AM Reply   
For anyone that has questions about the boat take Brad up on his offer. He is a standup guy and so are the Dortons that own the company
Old     (kronoss)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-13-2014, 7:00 PM Reply   
I dont really understand why I/O's cost less than inboards.

I/O's have so much more mechanical and maintenance overhead than a inboard.

I would never buy a IO ever again, they are a maintenance nightmare, Bellows, Gimbal bearing, U-joints, impeller inside the outdrive, shifter cable, having to remember to put the outdrive up/down when leaving the dock and damaging the Skeg, zincs, and list goes on.

Most of the stuff I listed above, is a yearly maintenance thing.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-13-2014, 11:33 PM Reply   
Lets just focus on the fact that the surf wake in that video looked like crap and they had to drive in circles just to make it.

Then they make the FALSE claim of the first wakesurfable stern drive, as the Centurion Typhoon was marketed as that a decade earlier.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-13-2014, 11:45 PM Reply   
I meant Tsunami above, not Typhoon. Both of those boats make a better surf wake than the Bryant.
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       09-14-2014, 5:52 AM Reply   
WW is a great place to come for haters.
This boat is not meant to make an Enzo size wave. It's not marketed for you. Why hate on it?
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-14-2014, 6:19 AM Reply   
It is what it is.It"s up to the buyer to decide if what it is is what they want and determine if what it is is a good choice when compared to an inboard and what IT is.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-14-2014, 6:31 AM Reply   
BTW if one is determined not to buy an inboard then buy a jet boat to surf,problem solved.I"m sure you can get a used one for 7000 or whatever.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-14-2014, 6:35 AM Reply   
I'm sure you will figure out what IT is after a while too
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-14-2014, 7:33 AM Reply   
I did that on my old i/o and still couldnt surf....

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-14-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronoss View Post
I dont really understand why I/O's cost less than inboards.

I/O's have so much more mechanical and maintenance overhead than a inboard.

I would never buy a IO ever again, they are a maintenance nightmare, Bellows, Gimbal bearing, U-joints, impeller inside the outdrive, shifter cable, having to remember to put the outdrive up/down when leaving the dock and damaging the Skeg, zincs, and list goes on.

Most of the stuff I listed above, is a yearly maintenance thing.
When you break it down, wheres the 40K difference between a Cavalier and a Corvette? I think you will answer your own question.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-14-2014, 1:10 PM Reply   
"55k is going to bring them business from a bunch of people - in my opinion. It won't be people from Wakeworld, but alas, the world is bigger than Wakeworld "
Hope nobody on wakeworld will buy one. I think the ones that buy it are going to be stuck with it and wonder why they can't sell it for $35,000 a year later, because I much rather have my 2005 VLX than that piece!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-14-2014, 5:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
"55k is going to bring them business from a bunch of people - in my opinion. It won't be people from Wakeworld, but alas, the world is bigger than Wakeworld "
Hope nobody on wakeworld will buy one. I think the ones that buy it are going to be stuck with it and wonder why they can't sell it for $35,000 a year later, because I much rather have my 2005 VLX than that piece!
I don't think you are their target audience. They are not targeting the "big wake" audience. They are going after the "jack of all trades" with a Mastercraft comparable quality.
Old     (rockballer)      Join Date: Jun 2014       09-14-2014, 7:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
I don't think you are their target audience. They are not targeting the "big wake" audience. They are going after the "jack of all trades" with a Mastercraft comparable quality.
Mastercraft quality and wave.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       09-15-2014, 5:54 AM Reply   
Between 40k and 80k thats a huge spread .The one it the ad only had 220 hp , no mention of a surf system and still listed for almost 60k. My guess a fully equipped surf edition will be closer to the 80k . Thats well within the range of many top end Vdrive boats. Looks like another Chaparral big on talk and not so much on performance. Saying its just as good dosnt always make it so . Ill stay with my vdrive it does everything I want and I didn't spend anywhere near 80k.
Old     (Captain_obvious)      Join Date: Jan 2014       09-15-2014, 11:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
You must be high comparing a Bryant to a Mastercraft..... stargazer and an ankle high short pocket wave
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-15-2014, 5:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_obvious View Post
You must be high comparing a Bryant to a Mastercraft..... stargazer and an ankle high short pocket wave
I am pretty sure you read my post wrong. I never said it has a Mastercraft wave. The quality and build of Bryant boats is top notch. I am a wake whore on a budget...which is why I have an Axis.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-15-2014, 7:32 PM Reply   
No doubt Bryant builds a nice quality boat. And more power to them, if they can get into this market provide a roomy boat that throws a awesome wakeboard and wakesurf wave under $50k they have something! But if they start bumping up to quality Vdrive prices they will fail.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-15-2014, 7:42 PM Reply   
I actually do agree with above statement. They have to stay under the inboard prices by a number that makes sense to most buyers or they "will fail".
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-15-2014, 8:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
I actually do agree with above statement. They have to stay under the inboard prices by a number that makes sense to most buyers or they "will fail".
I don't think they will have to sell for any price that relates or doesn't to the inboard market. The io market is much larger and more competitive. They're going to have to price themselves inline with the io market but offer these extras like ballast and the sport porch for a little more to get a more capable IO. Like I said above. To US at wake world, they would have to discount their boat, but the majority of buyers for IOs and watersports in general are not wakeworlders. Many of them will be dads who are stoked they can buy a boat from their favorite brand that is safe to wake surf behind. They'll think they're keeping up with the jones and their centurion and be happy with an IO. To each their own.

Last edited by wakebordr11; 09-15-2014 at 8:12 PM.
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       09-16-2014, 5:25 AM Reply   
It better have a bath room if its going to compete with the Chaparral X22?

Old     (KT2002)      Join Date: Apr 2015       05-19-2015, 9:59 PM Reply   
I am on my third Bryant and second 233X (2012 and 2015). They are good boats but not if you want to wakeboard or surf to any good level. I can wakeboard behind my 233X no problem but I am not out doing huge tricks. I am married with 2 kids so we mainly tube and raft up so the boat works perfect for us. We ended up paying $66k for a fully loaded one with underwater lights, sub, tower speakers, dual batteries, 3 amps, etc. However, with all that said we will be looking to move over to Supra or Mastercraft. I feel that Bryant is growing to big for their pants... I just saw a new 233X for $99k which is way to much. I don't like the porch setup either. For $99k, I can get in a loaded Supra or an X-30...
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-20-2015, 5:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT2002 View Post
I am on my third Bryant and second 233X (2012 and 2015). They are good boats but not if you want to wakeboard or surf to any good level. I can wakeboard behind my 233X no problem but I am not out doing huge tricks. I am married with 2 kids so we mainly tube and raft up so the boat works perfect for us. We ended up paying $66k for a fully loaded one with underwater lights, sub, tower speakers, dual batteries, 3 amps, etc. However, with all that said we will be looking to move over to Supra or Mastercraft. I feel that Bryant is growing to big for their pants... I just saw a new 233X for $99k which is way to much. I don't like the porch setup either. For $99k, I can get in a loaded Supra or an X-30...
WOW. There is no way those boats are worth it. Personally if I was going to buy an I/O it would be a Cobalt or Chaparral which are made by two great companies and make very good boat.

You will enjoy the Supra or MC over a Bryant.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-20-2015, 9:29 AM Reply   
Froggy, some of the Bryants do have a built in head in exactly the same as the one you pictured. I have several friends that own Bryant boats and they are high quality boats. I saw a brand new surf edition a couple of weeks ago when I was tied up with about 5 Bryant boats.. Was that you on Tellico Lake tied up with us in power line cove, Brad?
Old     (riddick)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-21-2015, 6:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanolinsky View Post
Froggy, some of the Bryants do have a built in head in exactly the same as the one you pictured. I have several friends that own Bryant boats and they are high quality boats. I saw a brand new surf edition a couple of weeks ago when I was tied up with about 5 Bryant boats.. Was that you on Tellico Lake tied up with us in power line cove, Brad?
Unfortunately, I wasn't out there! I've been tucked away on the loudon side of watts bar. Hope to see you at BBO this year! I'm not sure what Bryant we will be in, but we'll be there!
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-26-2015, 8:07 AM Reply   
Brad,
I couldn't remember the guys name, but my friend said he was second in command at Bryant or something like that. It amazes me how the Bryant guys hang out together.