Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-13-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
Ok, i'm ready David Haven't heard of these either.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-13-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
Okay, the new NEO Bullet HollowPoint 770 is essentially the evolution of the current 770 HLCD. Same domestic pods and coatings. Same compact dimensions and very low hang height. Same solid T6061 billet machined (not cast) tower-specific collars. The HollowPoint 770 HLCDs have generally been characterized by a warmer texture with a good balance of midbass. That hasn't changed.
Here are the new refinements.
The magnet structure for the midbass driver is neodymium which is infinitely more powerful than a standard ferrite magnet. In fact, a quarter sized neodymium magnet can equal the force of a hockey puc-sized ferrite magnet. This increases the midbass efficiency and therefore increases the overall efficiency requiring less attenuation on the compression tweeter.
The architecture on the carbon fiber midbass cone is slightly different and the surround has been made a little narrower and a little lighter which also aids efficiency.
The crossover network is completely different and adjusts for the increased midbass efficiency.
The hole pattern in the grill has gone from four to six holes so that it will line up with a factory MasterCraft pod hole pattern.
The previous HollowPoint 770 HLCD was a little giant in that it gave you over 50 percent more surface area than a 6.5" and 80 percent the surface area of an 8" with a voice coil and motor structure equal to an 8". Properly powered it can reach wakeboarding range with ease. Now, the new version provides even more responsiveness in the same compact package that is ultra tight to the tower. Btw, the new NEO motor structure is something to behold. Its still massive with super thick conductor plates.
The price for black NEO is now $995 a pair and are available with chrome grills only.
The previous version is still available in limited supply at $875 a pair.
The website is lagging behind the new product for now, but they are currently available.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-13-2011, 4:04 PM Reply   
Sound bad ass! All the excellent sound reproduction in a refined product that is I'm sure lighter too. It's smart that they went to 6 screw holes as I have had problems with two of my cans. I also had an issue with a surround coming undone but a little glue fixed it no sweat so Jamie probably adressed that too.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-13-2011, 4:30 PM Reply   
Hate,
With those heavy HLCDs we have always first mounted the speaker to the pod with the four concealed screws that only pass through the speaker basket rim and then added the four exposed screws that passed through both the grill and speaker. This gave us eight total mounting screws through each speaker/pod. The new version will use six screws and all of which pass through both the grill and speaker. You still have the full capability of rotating the grill/speaker so that all speaker grill spoke patterns are parallel with ground level regardless of the tower arc or angle. We also have interior backup aluminum split rings in case someone with an 18 volt drill strips out the holes.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-14-2011, 12:05 PM Reply   
I'm getting two new replacemement cans this year and will be doing some work on the two exsisting to remedy the problem.

Thanks David