Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakecourage)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-02-2019, 12:18 AM Reply   
Just wondering what the length of a G23 on a trailer is. I am building a new home next year and currently working on the drawings now. I want to make my garage plenty deep for when I upgrade my 210 to a G23.Thanks
Old     (rcraighughes)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-02-2019, 1:17 PM Reply   
G with platform is 25'3" so add ladde and tongue = prob 28'
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-06-2019, 5:10 AM Reply   
I have a Centurion SV244 and from where trailer tongue folds, to back of swim platform is roughly 28ft. G23 is slightly shorter than my boat but with tongue not folded 28ft is probably right on the money for total length.

I built a new home last year and decided to build a detached garage for my boat since the way I designed my home, the attached 3 car garage would have taken away from the home design if I made it deep enough for the boat. Glad I did that since I still use every bit of the attached 3-car and its nice for the boat to be a little separate since I like to go out in the evenings and work out there. I also insulated the garage and put in a wall unit that gives me heat/A/C so I can make the space comfortable any time of year and since I surf in early Spring and late Fall, also keeps me from having to winterize and layup earlier if a cold front comes thru unexpectedly.
Anyway, I built my detached garage to be 32ft long X 16ft wide.....13ft high ceilings because I wanted a 12x12 garage door so I do not need to put the tower down to take the boat in/out. I also had roof trusses designed to have attic space front to back and ended up with 12ft wide X 32ft long storage area up there, worked out very nice. I put a set of pull down stairs for the attic and then built a small platform since steps only come down 10ft. (FYI....if you do a detached similar to this with larger door, County building inspector will want structural engineer design since the large door removes some of the typical sheer/lateral load. I used 2x6 framing 16" o.c. and on the front gable wall with the 12x12 garage door.....my engineer basically had me add 7/16" OSB to the interior walls with ring shank nail every 6" at every stud....and also added metal strapping (Simpson CS-18) that started at top plate and came down 12" at every stud with a nail in every hole. The extra OSB on interior increased the lateral wind load ratings and the CS-18 straps ensured that wall system from foundation sill plate to the double top plate was all tied down securely (of course I also had hurricane straps installed at every stud for the roof trusses and as usual the exterior already had OSB installed before siding installed). Pretty simple really....inspectors just don't ever want to take liability by passing something that is not "standard". (My 3-car attached garage has 12ft ceilings in which I installed 10ft tall doors and they also required the same thing for that wall). I mention this cause you said you were working on your drawings, if you have an Architect involved they may already spec something like this and if engineer is stamping the plans you will be fine...but if you are doing the design this is something you will want to keep in mind. I designed my own home without architect/engineer and why I had this extra step.

Once the garage was finished, I installed overhead 4ft X 8ft racks that hang down from ceiling....as well as some custom high shelves on the side of garage to hold all my boat seats since I remove them to dry out the boat when I get boat back to its home. Also some racks to hold all the surf boards and other toys. Doing this allows me to completely load/unload my boat inside the garage without ever having to climb out of the boat, super convenient! Little things like this make it so much easier/quicker.

In hindsight, I would have added another 4ft to the length and 4ft to the width to make the total size 36ft long and 20ft wide. Simple reason is cause I could have then used one long wall to build storage racks for all my tools without being quite so tight to the boat (I am a builder by trade, so have lots of tools and materials).
Good luck on the design/build!
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       07-06-2019, 5:15 AM Reply   
Some pics
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-08-2019, 7:13 AM Reply   
build more width than you need as well. I built my boat bay length out to 26'. works fine for my 23' with platform on and tongue folded. tip toeing between the boat and wall or another vehicle gets old. add couple feet if you have room.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       07-10-2019, 11:38 AM Reply   
@infinitysurf - beautiful boat and garage. Thanks for the pics!