Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-11-2015, 2:08 PM Reply   
Well its about that time for me to upgrade to a newer boat. Ive always said my next boat will be an axis but i have been seeing a ton of MBs out lately and wow. All we mainly do on my boat is surf and party. I never really wakeboard cus my shoulders are all jacked up. But anyways. MB F22 or a axis A22. 1...2...3.... GO
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-11-2015, 8:22 PM Reply   
Lol. Awesome thread bro. Go demo them and decide. Don't expect us to decide for you.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       06-11-2015, 8:25 PM Reply   
Surfing and PARTYING......by the MB!!!!!
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-11-2015, 10:14 PM Reply   
No way on mb if all you do is surf and party. Get axis T-23 if you can afford it. If not step down one notch to a T-22. Awesome surf machine and the best part is that with surf gate you don't have to list the boat at all. No need to keep reminding ur drunk friends to stay on one side or move weight or drain and empty tanks. You don't have to have all the goofy riders ride at once and the regular riders ride after or before. Whoever wants to ride just rides. Just load the boat down full with all ballast and hit the gate button to one side or the other. Reason I suggest the T over the A series is that the T seems to not have as much bow dip to it, one less thing to worry about when partying.
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-11-2015, 11:28 PM Reply   
I've got a LOT of experience having owned both and ridden a bunch in both Axis and MB...hard for me to answer this right now as I'm sorting some stuff out with my MB, but I am very hopeful it will work out well as they appear to be a very dedicated company who stand behind their product and I think it'll all work out great. For now I'll just say that if your focus is surfing you should look at the Axis T23 or T22 as Jason said or the 23WB from MB. Both are surf monsters and will throw an amazing wave. The A22 and F22 are awesome boats (perhaps you like the pickle fork?), but in my opinion they have excellent wakeboard wakes and really good surf waves. The T23/T22 or the 23WB have phenomenal surf waves and are really good for wakeboarding also. I'm a diehard wakeboarder who also surfs, so my current boat is the F22 and the wake is really really awesome since that was my priority. Had an A from Axis before and the wake was equally amazing and the boat ran like a tank. You're lucky being in NorCal as you have Larson Marine that sells both brands and I absolutely cannot say enough good things about that dealership whichever way you go...they will take beyond great care of you whichever boat you get!

Reach out if you have any more questions, or I'll pop back on later with a more robust review on each. Great place to be in deciding between two awesome boats!

Last edited by SteeleAxis; 06-11-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-12-2015, 7:37 AM Reply   
Where are you located?

I've owned 3 axis products (2 a22's and 1 A24) and loved them all. I don't have a lot of experience with MB, but, for me, I'd buy the Axis just because there is a more established Malibu/Axis national dealer network, surfgate, and ease of resale.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-12-2015, 7:38 AM Reply   
I agree with what everyone has said.

I really like MB's but if all I wanted to do was surf I would buy an Axis with the Surf Gate.

In the end though, go demo both and decide what's best for you
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-12-2015, 7:50 AM Reply   
Love my Axis ... I know the MBs are also good, but I can't say enough good things about Axis, especially with Surfgate. Overall just a REALLY great boat.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-12-2015, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Love my Axis ... I know the MBs are also good, but I can't say enough good things about Axis, especially with Surfgate. Overall just a REALLY great boat.
I second this statement. It should come down to your dealer. I have known people to switch back and forth an have been happy with both.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-12-2015, 9:03 AM Reply   
Here's a great deal on a lightly used 23: http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.ph...an-card-45000/
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-12-2015, 9:36 AM Reply   
I'm coming off a 2012 axis a22 and have a new t23 with the 450 that delivers to us here in a week or so. i also spend some time on a couple different 2015 t22s. in my opinion having surf gate is a huge convenience even over MB's switch surf system… and I have plenty of time behind the 2015 and older 21ft mb tomcat and b52s as well…i prefer to ride around 11.2 on the axis boats with plug and play ballast all the way full… even faster around 12+ with wedge down. wedge at slower speeds has a real steep wave… i try to draw the length out with higher speed if we are using wedge. the 21ft b52 i ride on we had to install a ballast system. 1100 on starboard 1500 enzo sack on port… speed is around 10.8-11.2 and trim tab all the way down on regular side and about 70% down on goofy side. switch deployed 100% and 0%. mb has the 6.2 400hp raptor and needs to be re-propped with that much weight and our higher elevation. i think the 2079 is what they will put on it….

for the boats that don't have surf systems… having the center trim tab on the MB is a must for the regular footers. I've seen prop wash and spray on every boat I've been on. the goofy side is good all the time. their rudders of offset slightly. the 2012 axis we just leaned the heck out of it and surfed pretty good both sides. we rarely use wedge.

and one more thing… I've built a few DIY surf gates for my friends using the idea that www.wickedwakesurf.com created and it works awesome.

hope that helps
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-12-2015, 10:24 AM Reply   
you have to demo both and bring sacs with you. And thats coming from an MB owner
Old     (crosenhahn)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-12-2015, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
Here's a great deal on a lightly used 23: http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.ph...an-card-45000/
Also one of the funniest for sale ads!!!!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-12-2015, 2:14 PM Reply   
I have had 2 Axis A22's (one with SG) and 2 MB boats. Both have been great boats and trouble free. I also have two of the best dealers for those brands (Texas Malibu and Texas Mastercraft) I will say somewhere along the way Axis lost its identity as far as a budget boat. The prices have skyrocketed compared to the MB's and although both have incredible wakes, there is no comparison when it comes to the interior of these boats. MB is on another level when it comes to the interior standards (Fit and Finish). You really can't go wrong with either. Demo both and go sit inside each boat. If you like to surf here is another boat on the MB forum for sale that is a good buy on a great surf boat. http://www.mbboatowners.com/index.ph...2-23-for-sale/
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-12-2015, 5:36 PM Reply   
Axis A22

Surfing - Surfgate is awesome

Partying - Seats 15 people and has 19 cup holders. Throw in a killer stereo and you're set.
Old     (AZShreds)      Join Date: Aug 2014       06-16-2015, 8:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp513 View Post
Well its about that time for me to upgrade to a newer boat. Ive always said my next boat will be an axis but i have been seeing a ton of MBs out lately and wow. All we mainly do on my boat is surf and party. I never really wakeboard cus my shoulders are all jacked up. But anyways. MB F22 or a axis A22. 1...2...3.... GO

Look at the two boats side by side and let the quality of the build speak for it self.. You will be amazed how different they are, and how close the $$ will be. Good luck.. Have fun!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2015, 10:36 AM Reply   
I recently made this same decision based on the dealer that I preferred to work with. I'm a Delta area rider. I bought a 15 Axis A22.

Brent Lemecke, owner of Boat Country Escalon is the coolest, easiest to work with dealer you will find. I've receive 4 boats from him in 5 years. He breaks his back to keep customers happy. Small shop with big inventory, and a focus on creating happy, returning customers. Not that it should be expected, but my boat has been serviced in, and out in one day to get me back on the water. In a pinch, I wouldn't want to work with anyone else.

Make sure you review post sale dealer reviews. Buying the boat is a small part of the equation.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-17-2015, 10:39 AM Reply   
Alls I have to say is that axis and MB are night and day difference when it comes to interior feel. The MB is a lot more refined inside.
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-17-2015, 10:45 AM Reply   
MBs are definitely 'prettier' but from a reliability standpoint I'd go Axis. I'd have to say a huge +1 to Jarrod's comments above, as today I'm pretty disappointed and really, really regretting not having bought another Axis from Boat Country.

Hmmm...on the serious side, if you just want something that will surf and is more for lounging/partying then an MB might be good for you and mine is going up for sale asap. Help me help you help me....you can have a very pretty boat for partying and I can get in to something to do some serious wakeboarding in. PM me or check out classifieds later today if interested.
Old     (dp513)      Join Date: Jul 2011       06-19-2015, 9:26 AM Reply   
what mb do you have?
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-19-2015, 9:49 AM Reply   
I have a 2015 MB F22 Tomcat now that I am selling. Had an Axis before this hence the screen name haha

Will do WW ad later today, but for now you can see it here (first listing by Matt Steele):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/735363799875931/

Shot you a PM with my contact info, will fully talk you through everything about the boat if you're interested or have any questions in general about the two brands.
Old     (DaveC)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-19-2015, 1:54 PM Reply   
There is a pretty good deal on a nice 23' B52 on mbboatowners.com. 2015 with only 50 or so hours. Might already be sold though.