Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-28-2014, 8:42 PM Reply   
This gunnel dash seams like it was an after thought.

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2014, 5:52 AM Reply   
MY 2001 Sunsetter has the same layout. I hope that does not happen to mine^^ but the throttle is supported by plastic and it flexes, its not the most secure installation. I installed some blocking where the armrest connects to the dash area. The blocking was epoxied to the hull. Hope that helps. I also relocated the radio so that weight is gone as well.

I wonder if there is a replacement armrest available. The radio at the arm rest was an awful idea. I moved mine to the glove box after replacing it 3 times from water damage plus it was hard to operate. I installed perfect pass in the speedo hole and the large alpine remote in the tach hole. My revised setup is great from an informational and ability to control standpoint.

The cup holder below the throttle at the floor is also a bit flimsy and only had 1 cup opening. I installed a 2nd cup holder and a oval storage cup as well. Its a nice dry place to throw misc stuff.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-29-2014, 5:54 AM Reply   
Long term these fancy dashes may have some interesting retrofit issues. There is something nice about a clean cutout in fiberglass or aluminum. It can always be reworked. I would love to see some photos of reworked controls and dashes.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-29-2014, 5:58 AM Reply   
What is that, like a 10 year old vlx? Good grief.
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-29-2014, 6:41 AM Reply   
Ha! Mine did the same thing, except it didn't tear the vinyl. I took the stereo out & I unbolted the side panel from the top, folded it over, used some light gauge angle iron that cut easy & filed smooth easy. I had to cut one about 4-5" long, then two other pieces about 2" long. I epoxyed them right at the broken area / part as shown in your pic, I bought some 3/4" #10 black counter sink bolts, washers for both sides so it couldn't fall through the larger holes on the angle iron & used lock washers & nuts on the back side angle iron. I then mixed up more epoxy & covered the cracked areas really well, stuff sets in 5 minutes & it was good as new. In fact much more sturdy then before. To finish I dabbed a little bit of plastidip over the exposed bolt heads, let it dry then my wife used one of those vinyl repair kits & covered them up, can't even tell they're there.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-29-2014, 6:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
What is that, like a 10 year old vlx? Good grief.

This...have you owned the boat it's whole life?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-29-2014, 9:06 AM Reply   
Is that quality, or lack of care?
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-29-2014, 9:23 AM Reply   
Just not a fan of that new Malibu dash .....
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-29-2014, 9:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdr94 View Post
I would say quality. Mine snapped when I slipped & my arm caught my fall on it. Not sure how you would care for thin plastic behind the vinyl?
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-29-2014, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer808 View Post
I would say quality. Mine snapped when I slipped & my arm caught my fall on it. Not sure how you would care for thin plastic behind the vinyl?

I had a 2002 VLX which I bought new and had it for 9 years and never had an issue. Looked great the day I sold it.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       07-29-2014, 12:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane10p View Post
Just not a fan of that new Malibu dash .....
Just got that rager for SC, that's all .
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       07-29-2014, 1:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
I had a 2002 VLX which I bought new and had it for 9 years and never had an issue. Looked great the day I sold it.
Love my 02, sometimes. In my case it was neither quality or care, it is simply not made to catch a man fall.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-29-2014, 5:20 PM Reply   
that'll do it alright. regardless of newer "nicer" vlx's I've had, I still miss my 2002.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-30-2014, 5:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by srock View Post
MY 2001 Sunsetter has the same layout. I hope that does not happen to mine^^ but the throttle is supported by plastic and it flexes, its not the most secure installation. I installed some blocking where the armrest connects to the dash area. The blocking was epoxied to the hull. Hope that helps. I also relocated the radio so that weight is gone as well.

I wonder if there is a replacement armrest available. The radio at the arm rest was an awful idea. I moved mine to the glove box after replacing it 3 times from water damage plus it was hard to operate. I installed perfect pass in the speedo hole and the large alpine remote in the tach hole. My revised setup is great from an informational and ability to control standpoint.
My arm rest doesn't have any of the flex you talk about (I also have a SS VLX). As for the pic in question, the dash had a major redesign in 2001 and minor one in '03 or '04, which is what is pictured here.

I don't like the idea of the head unit in the glove box...even less accessible than the armrest, which was also an awful idea. Here is mine - I love the location and no one bumps it getting in/out of the driver seat (I'm 6'3" and another buddy is 6'5" - no issues):

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-30-2014, 6:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Not sure but its a 2006 V Ride: