Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
This is something new that a friend of mine developed. It is just hitting the market. I've seen it in action and it works well and is very easy to use.

Thoughts?

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Accessor...ake-Gauge.aspx

or at www.wakegauge.com
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-06-2011, 2:24 PM Reply   
Ian,
Can you explain a bit more about how it works. Is it simply a bunch of levels or is this thing electronically tuned into your ballast, speed, etc....?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-06-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
Like the site for them, but thought the you tube video was anything but informational. It sounds like it's kind of an electronic level for the boat
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
I think it's basically an electronic gyroscope. Once you lock in where you have the perfect wake you can then achieve the same wake characteristics at different speeds by getting the boat on the same pitch and roll attitude. If the boat is too nose heavy then the lights at the top light up, if it's leaning too far left then the left lights come on, etc.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-06-2011, 2:58 PM Reply   
So, you get it level while sitting still and then take off once it matches those criteria from last time? Does it measure displacement too? Would it give you the same reading if you had 12 people in the boat Vs 4 people as long as the weight was distributed properly?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-06-2011, 3:23 PM Reply   
No, you wait until you have the perfect wake while on plane to set the gauge, that will save the pitch and roll of the boat when you have the wake dialed in. Theoretically if you are riding with different weight, the pitch and roll should be the same to achieve optimum wake. So, if you have a different group of people or different fuel levels... when you start up and get on plane, the gauge will show you if your pitch or roll is off the "optimum" saved setting.
Old     (jrbishop4)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-06-2011, 7:19 PM Reply   
I am friends with the guy that developed the gauge. He has been working on perfecting it for a few years now and I have been ridding behind his boat with the gauge for 2 seasons now and I have always had a perfect wake even with us changing the number of people in the boat and adding and subtracting ballast constantly since eveyone likes different amounts of ballast. I added the gauge to my boat last year and love it.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-07-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
It needs a switch to go from wake to surf.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-07-2011, 6:42 AM Reply   
I think it's gonna benefit the guy just starting out over the guy who's been riding for a while. I know the boats I ride in we can tell you exactly how much weight and where it needs to be placed based on how many people are in the boat. I can't remember the last time I didn't think the wake was perfect when I was riding??

good idea though!
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
$300? I can't justify it.
Old     (repo)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-08-2011, 3:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakereviews View Post
No, you wait until you have the perfect wake while on plane to set the gauge, that will save the pitch and roll of the boat when you have the wake dialed in. Theoretically if you are riding with different weight, the pitch and roll should be the same to achieve optimum wake. So, if you have a different group of people or different fuel levels... when you start up and get on plane, the gauge will show you if your pitch or roll is off the "optimum" saved setting.
You may have the pitch and Yaw sorted but how do you figure weight? The boat can be sitting a lot higher or lower in the water & the pitch & yaw still be showing as correct? Needs somewhere to log weight onboard at the time of setting perfect pitch & yaw. Yes/no?
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-08-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
It would be cool if the industry could integrate this technology into speed control and wake plate and automatic adjustable ballast. Much like Supra's system of speed and ballast settings setup for an individual rider, but also have the wake plate adjust for attitude for a steeper or rampier wake and adjust ballast for weight distribution of passengers. Cool stuff. I agree with acurtis as well, once you get an experienced enough crew and driver it all seems to work itself out though with moving people and lead around. We do fine w/o speed control on my boat but it would be a nice to have for sure.