Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-11-2015, 6:56 PM Reply   
House is sold, and both wife and I can really go anywhere in CA with our jobs. We live in Roseville now and want to live on the water! Been thru Disco Bay handful of times by boat. Today work took me near by, so I went to check it out by land. I'm liking it.

Commute is not an issue, as I have to drive all day regardless where I live. The location seems like it would actually work better for me as Bay Area and So Cal are my territory.

Few Concerns. Schools, saw one elementary, looks good. I have a 5 and 7 y/o. I am familiar with the Delta , but mostly Stockton area, Paradise Point to be exact. I had a houseboat there. I am wondering how bad the aqua weeds are or have gotten. Things to do outside of watersports and golf. Wife would like nice restaurants and shopping, does Brentwood offer that? Is it worth living there even if you don't have a waterfront home?

Any other info would be great. Is living there truly great!??

Last edited by rodltg2; 05-11-2015 at 7:05 PM.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-12-2015, 8:30 AM Reply   
if you're not on the water, live somewhere else close to the delta. Tons of places with better schools, towns, nightlife etc...
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-12-2015, 11:00 AM Reply   
Let me first say im 29, and I grew up and live in Discovery Bay currently. The town is really what you make of it, sure we don't have a ton of restaurants, and the bars close at 12pm. But that hasnt stopped me from enjoying my life in town. We have two pizza places (dominos also delivers from brentwood), one sushi, one Chinese, one mexican, a steakhouse with a sportsbar, a waterfront bar/grilll, a subway, and a wine bar. Aslo Bentwood and Livermore are a stones throw.

As far as living in Discovery Bay, I would recommend the water, it makes life feel like a vacation. We spend most of our summer nights kayaking, wakeboarding, or just floating around. As a kid, we spent all summer, biking, fishing, paddleboating, and when we turned 16 we were wakeboarding with friends. Its a very close nit safe community. Sadly we had one tragedy lately.

Outside of water sports, we have a community center and a gym. You can also go hiking pretty close by (round valley recreational)

Shopping in Bentwood isnt bad either, kinda strip mall stuff like Roseville. If you don't like Bentwood, you can just drive into livermore or tracy.

The schools were pretty good, about as good as public schools get, and almost everyone I know went off to college.

The weeds are going away now because of parks and waterways (I think its them), they are killing them off with something.

If you are serious about Discovery Bay, maybe rent a home on the water for a weekend soon, I can point you in the right direction.

Last edited by Michael; 05-12-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-20-2015, 10:40 AM Reply   
You can also do what I did and buy a home with it's own community dock and still have your typical backyard. You will save yourself close too 200k and a shot ton of maintenance. I've lived here for 6 months from San Jose and ABSOLUTLEY love it. Wish I had moved along time ago. Nightlife not as strong but day life is crackin!
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-23-2015, 7:52 PM Reply   
Discovery Bay is a love it/leave it type place. I was there for three years but ended up moving out cuz it was so isolated. It was great half the year and pretty quiet the other half. I wound up back in Santa Cruz and do miss Disco Bay tremendously but much happier over here. It really is like living on vacation though. If you are not ON the water...go somewhere else unless you re just looking for cheaper housing.

I will wind up with a second house there hopefully sooner than later...just not my primary residence.

I will give ya the same advise I was given by a lot of Disco Bay residents...rent for a full round of seasons before you decide to buy to make sure it is for you. There are LOTS of rentals.

Discover Bay really is a drinking town with a small boating problem!