Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (AgileMike)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-22-2013, 7:35 PM Reply   
Hi all,

Very new to boating. Last boat I was on was 1982 Bayliner with a 70 HP Mercury outboard.

Anywyay, I recently purchased a 2009 Supreme V232. I love the boat, but now it is time to change the oil.

It looks like the oil filter is the stubby version of the Fram PH5, which I can purchase. But I'm having trouble figuring out how to drain the oil. I will by a factory service manual soon, but need to change the oil before it arrives. I've read online that the Black Scorpion engines should have a drain line attached to the bottom of the oil pan, but I can't locate it. I don't like the idea of sucking the oil back up the dipstick, as I believe most oil contaminants are at the bottom of the oil and it's almost impossible to suck out 100% of the oil.

Any help for a new boat owner??

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-22-2013, 7:41 PM Reply   
Sucking the oil out is very effective on a Mercruiser as they are designed for doing just that.. I had some of your concerns when I bought my boat with the Black Scorpion but the oil is always clear after a change and stays that way. Over 400 hours now.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-22-2013, 10:42 PM Reply   
What Art said ^ Enjoy the new boat! and welcome to WW. Its the shizzle. Got any sweet pics of the new barco?
Old     (AgileMike)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-23-2013, 7:23 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replies guys. Just ordered the Mityvac 7400 off amazon.com for 67.00. Will take it to the lake to extract oil while motor is hot. Put 25 hours on boat already this season and heading out again today with family.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-23-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
Mike
On mine the drain hose was hooked to the lift hook on the intake manifold area with a golf towel clip? Had to feed it down to the plug out the back. That does not work well, best to use the dipstick method.
me two cents