Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Nakedshoe)      Join Date: Mar 2015       04-03-2015, 8:27 PM Reply   
Planning a trip to the delta from SoCal and thinking of staying at tiki lagun. Tent camping, wakeboarding and touring the area by boat. (2003 SANTE) Any help on places to see and camp would be great. And another major/(dumb) question. Sand bars? Just hit one @30 mph and stopped in 10' !!! Just south of Squaw Lake on the CO river Kids went flying out of the bow, not hurt, wife hit her head on the windshield and I cracked 2 front teeth, hole through my lower lip, broke my mirror and cut my head. Bleeding all over the place. Bent the steering wheel and pulled one of the mounting brackets for the dash pod. No prop, shaft or rutter damage. The one boat we saw came back and after a bunch of diging we pushed her free!! Could not believe there was no damage. So that is way the question about sand bars. Thanks for any feed back
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-03-2015, 9:11 PM Reply   
Ouch. I did that years ago on the delta. Everyone got hucked to the front of the boat. The Delta usually won't surprise you that fast, but you definitely want to watch the gauge. The big bays are where you run into trouble. Looks for the markers that mark the ship routes. In a big bay, that's where you want to be. Otherwise the safe rule is to stay about 100 feet from shore, or in the middle of narrow sloughs. 10 feet of water or less isn't uncommon. Average depth is about 18 feet

Tiki is a cool place to camp. Good riding right out of the marina to the left, and usually it isn't that busy. Good wind protection. You camp on grass with lots of shade. There's a store. Also, look up Garlic Bro's Restaurant. It's on the water and a short boat ride from Tiki.
Old     (Nakedshoe)      Join Date: Mar 2015       04-03-2015, 9:32 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. The water depth at the CO river 3-9 on the average. So 10' sounds much better. I love garlic so Garlic Bro's will be a stop for dinner for sure.
Old     (bigd1031)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-03-2015, 11:19 PM Reply   
+1 on Garlic Bros, good food, good martinis and a great atmosphere.

Also check out Windmill Cove, great place to grab some food, a couple of drinks and watch some of the ocean going ships cruise into Stockton's port (and closer than Garlic Bros.)

Tiki is a nice place (Uncle has a houseboat there) and the owners seem to run a decent setup.

When will you be there?
Old     (Nakedshoe)      Join Date: Mar 2015       04-04-2015, 11:12 PM Reply   
June 22nd-27th. Never been up there on the water and can't wait. Heard it's one of the best areas to visit. SoCal, very limited on places to ride and explore.
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-07-2015, 2:46 PM Reply   
Ah, Tiki is my hood! LOL We store at Whiskey Slough which is right near there. As others have mentioned some really cool places to see and ride very near there. Assuming some may already be on your list, but here's a few more things to consider:

- Railroad...can't go to the Delta without at least driving by, and preferably riding, probably the most recognizable spot on the Delta. If you don't know Railroad, quickly watch Prime, Quiet Please, any Delta Force vid or stuff from Maur, Twelker, Cook, etc...

- Vics....Victoria Slough, probably the easiest time you'll ever have wakeboarding (during the week anyway since weekends in Summer are crazy busy out there). 9 times out of 10 this is the best slough out there based on any wind that might come up. Super long and straight for most part and easy turn around to come up other side.

- Discovery Bay and Orwood Resort...check out the small but cool lighthouse, the houses none of us will ever afford, then eat a Wakeboard Wrap or Oakie Taco at Orwood. mmmmmmm

All of those are not too far at all from Tiki. Heck, now that I've talked about it if you want to keep in touch I'm happy to meet up with you guys one day that week and show you around if you want.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-08-2015, 3:39 PM Reply   
- Railroad...can't go to the Delta without at least driving by, and preferably riding, probably the most recognizable spot on the Delta. If you don't know Railroad, quickly watch Prime, Quiet Please, any Delta Force vid or stuff from Maur, Twelker, Cook, etc...

- Vics....Victoria Slough, probably the easiest time you'll ever have wakeboarding (during the week anyway since weekends in Summer are crazy busy out there). 9 times out of 10 this is the best slough out there based on any wind that might come up. Super long and straight for most part and easy turn around to come up other side.

Unless you see 1 boat surfing, then just go somewhere else, cause the entire slough will be rollers.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-08-2015, 4:53 PM Reply   
^^thats irritating!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-08-2015, 6:56 PM Reply   
Tell me about it