Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (natewitte)      Join Date: Mar 2015       03-20-2015, 4:33 AM Reply   
*Brand new to the site and if there is a thread that already covers these questions I apologize. Northern Minnesotan and life-long snowboarder 20+ years. So just recently purchased a boat for the family nothing fancy but does have a tower and a swim deck. Looking to get some advice on a set up... I have only wakeboarded probably around 10 times in my life using whatever equipment was available and whatever boat. I don't know anybody personally that knows much about wakeboarding as we only get maybe three months of the year to actually be in the water. As I said I have been snowboarding a long time I've been a freestyle coach at times and consider myself to be a good snowboarder in and out of the park. With that said I don't see myself doing any jibbing... there are no cable parks anywhere near here that I'm aware of so unless I build something and put it in the water it's not going to happen. What I would like is a wakeboard that can hold an edge really well but is playful too. And I would like bindings that have really good heel hold.... I see that they have snowboard style bindings with boots now?? I've been looking around but of course every review you read says this is the best board and that's the best board and without much experience I'm not sure what I'm looking for. If anything has stood out to me yet I would say the Liquid Force Watson classic??? I would like to keep this set up around 600 or less... not sure how doable that is but any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nate.
Old     (natewitte)      Join Date: Mar 2015       03-20-2015, 4:40 AM Reply   
Oh and size?...165lbs
thanks again
Old     (Shockthis)      Join Date: May 2014       03-20-2015, 5:12 AM Reply   
I have ashop just a across the boarder in Thunder Bay. With the dollar exchange I can get you a wicked set up easily under 600. I have a 2014 Watson in stock. We have it at 25% off. It is a 139 cm. so you would be at 240 for the board. Pm me if you want. Not sure how far away you are.
Old     (challengerwake)      Join Date: Mar 2015       03-20-2015, 6:41 AM Reply   
If you have a snowboard background go with something with flex, it will feel a lot more natural and comfortable. It may be a little loose the first couple of times but you will get used to it quick. Go with a Slingshot, Humanoid, or if you can find Company. But all major brands make some kind of "Flex". As far as bindings go I prefer a stiffer traditional closed toe binding but as far as your background you might like the Hyperlite systems. And stay in that 139cm-142cm size range.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-20-2015, 7:05 AM Reply   
I snowboard a lot also but ride stiff all mountain boards. I only ride liquid force because I get them cheap. But with that said I'm riding a full Watson set up. It holds a edge pretty good and is easy to get loose on surface tricks. Ladt years models should be at least 35% off. Check evo. Com and the house. Or your boy across the way could prove match tgat would be cool
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-20-2015, 8:59 AM Reply   
Slingshot response would feel much closer to the ride of a snowboard.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-20-2015, 9:43 AM Reply   
I grabbed the Ronix Parks camber last year after demoing because I liked how it rides more evenly weighted like a snowboard. It's not flex but I think Ronix has a flex camber option as well.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-20-2015, 9:46 AM Reply   
You should ride as many as you can to understand what you like. Just like in snowboarding, there are tons of options. Camber, rocker, flex, length, width, speed (friction) and fin configuration.

Personally, for boat riding, I think flex boards ride like a broken wakeboard and waste energy, but that's an example of preference. I do use one at the cable park.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2015, 10:35 AM Reply   
Having a local shop you can trust and talk with is very helpful. If Shockthis's shop is close by I'd go see what they have. The Watson is a very good board and a lot of people like it.

I think you should get a very good all around board but not a cheap basic model. I also think you should get high-end bindings.

When you snowboard are your feet locked in tight? I prefer stiff bindings but many other people want a lot of sway.

Personally, I ride the O'Brien Decade and it is a really fantastic all around board. There are some on Ebay for not too much. Here's a link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...Text=&_sacat=0

I also ride the Ronix Code55 bindings (which were formely Cells). You should easily be able to get an excellent setup for under $600.

Also, avoid getting binding that will fit everyone. Having a boat board for everyone is great but find a cheap used package on Craigslist or ebay. Make sure that your board is great.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-20-2015, 12:30 PM Reply   
Welcome to wakeboarding. It is a blast. I snowboarded 8 years before I started wakeboarding. Slingshot gives me the closest feel to a snowboard*. As far as binding go, check out hyperlite system bindings. If and when you learn to ride, you will find that it isn't difficult to lock in and charge the boat on any board. As for the slingshot brand, get the stiffiest board they make. It will still give your knees the relief they need on landing but still give you the pop to get air. I also suggest the Response or Blue Pill. The Blue Pill won't be as playful as the Response. As far as liquid force goes, check out the Harley. It is a little more aggressive than the watson classic. Actually the Harley was built off of the watson classic design. The ronix camber boards are interesting too. I want to ride one this summer.
Old     (natewitte)      Join Date: Mar 2015       03-20-2015, 1:34 PM Reply   
Well I really appreciate all of the quick responses and I spent a little bit of time checking some of them out and can tell this is going to be a difficult decision. To: shockthis... Yeah that's a pretty far drive I live in Cloquet right outside of Duluth so that's about a four hour drive... Although I did make it there a few times when I was 19. For you southern guys that might not know their drinking age is different than ours and they have a couple of cool bars up there if you know what I mean😉.
I'm actually surprised to hear there is a wakeboard shop in that area but that's great. I would love to demo tons of boards but don't think there's much opportunity for that where I'm from. I really like the sound of the slingshot boards because they have wood cores( although I really don't know the pros and cons of foam vs wood) which might feel more familiar to me. but then I took a look at that parks camber board and really like what I hear as far as the even weighted stance... And by the sounds of it you can really rail a turn. How do you know which base is on those parks decks as I think it said there are two options and is there any other camber options like that? Would the slingshot be more buttery? And last I see that the slingshot deck has a channel in it as opposed to inserts...do you have to get slingshot bindings then? Seem like Burtons proprietary bull**** if it is (but that's for another time). I feel like I would like the hyperlite bindings but....guess I'll just have to take a gamble. Again I appreciate all the feedback.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-20-2015, 1:57 PM Reply   
No, any binding can be used in the track system. Hyperlite has it too.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-20-2015, 3:18 PM Reply   
I am going to say that the current package setups now…. are as good if not better than your pro model setups 5-10 years ago…. especially bindings. My heart is in snowboarding but I do love to wakeboard… and i actually like the flex style boards… this is my preference because i can have a board that i can take behind the boat… and i have a board to winch or ride cable with. behind the boat, some may say they dont pop as well or lose energy in the trough of the the wake.. but for me, they are playful and can handle just about anything i can do.

i think you should find something that looks good… fits your price… and has some merit behind it. I'm sure if your athletic enough you can ride just about anything and be hyped.
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       03-20-2015, 3:27 PM Reply   
If you can't demo or at least try on bindings... imho starting with a "everyone in the boat" board with great comfy bindings would be great... BTW, it's hard to beat Ronix bindings in comfort for a majority of people that try various brands on it seems.
Then next year or later this year after riding that you can see what you want (at least until the next year :-).
Old     (natewitte)      Join Date: Mar 2015       03-20-2015, 5:57 PM Reply   
Thanks again everybody. I will be getting the slingshot response or the parks camber..if anyone has any last thoughts I'm still listening...hard choice. Will probably get the Ronix code 55 bindings even though I would like to try the Hyperlite system I see some reviews about their quality being an issue. This is a really active and positive forum...good stuff

Can't put my other sticks away yet though, 4-6" coming this week.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-20-2015, 6:59 PM Reply   
2 very different boards. I think the Ronix Bandwagon is the camber board with flex. You might check into that if you've got it narrowed down to a Response vs Parks.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-21-2015, 9:18 AM Reply   
I think you will be fine on either board. You will have a learning curve with both.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       03-21-2015, 9:21 AM Reply   
Really you won't even know what board suits you best til you start riding and find your style. My wakeboarding and snowboarding styles are very different
Old     (natewitte)      Join Date: Mar 2015       03-21-2015, 11:57 PM Reply   
Well I ended up pulling the trigger on a Parks Modelo camber with Ronix Preston bindings. Under 500$! hopefully that's a good combo. went with the 139 considered getting the 134 because my son and I will both have to use this for this year. I know that's not recommended but considering the boat cost and I still need ropes and vests etc. hard to talk my wife into letting me get two this year she already puts up with my snowboard addiction. I weigh about 165 170 he weighs about 145 150 and we're both size 10 so it'll be good enough and we will probably grab something new next year maybe with some open toe bindings so other people can try. If anybody cares for a review on it even though I don't have any experience I will have a Liquid Force Harley to compare it to because my buddy just grabbed one. unfortunately it'll probably be June by the time I get to try it
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       03-22-2015, 6:16 AM Reply   
Sounds good, have fun!
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       03-24-2015, 2:00 AM Reply   
Hey Nate, I'm a bit behind on this one, but there are a handful of Minnesotans that get out often, we've got something like 200+ people in a facebook group that would be more than happy to have you out. I know we've got some NorMN guys as well as a ton of people down in the cities too. I work at Midwest Mastercraft in Crystal, if you're ever down that way you should definitely swing by and say what up! Here's a link to the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1489747947910632/
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-24-2015, 6:52 AM Reply   
There's a ton of close out stuff from last year. You can get a retired pro mold with a 2014 skin on it and bindings for 250-300 bucks complete. For close to that 500 price you and your kid can both have setups.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-24-2015, 2:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
There's a ton of close out stuff from last year. You can get a retired pro mold with a 2014 skin on it and bindings for 250-300 bucks complete. For close to that 500 price you and your kid can both have setups.
Any place in particular you're finding these at? I just ask because I'm looking for a new wakeboard setup. I got back into wake sports when I started wakesurfing a few years ago. I got a good wakesurf setup taken care of now, but my wakeboard setup is TIRED. It's my first wakeboard I settled with after I started demoing them as a teenager. It's a Hyperlite Offshore with Belmont Option 2 bindings, aka 1999-2000 era. I definitely need something current and to make that into a bench.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-24-2015, 4:42 PM Reply   
Surf Addict-it's always worth stopping by Active Watersports to see what kind of deals they have on last years stuff. If nothing there, check out evo.com.
Old     (natewitte)      Join Date: Mar 2015       03-28-2015, 8:27 AM Reply   
that sounds good Jordan thanks. I don't have a facebook but I'll take a look at it using my wifes. my dad lives down in Chaska so probably will drag the boat down there a couple times a summer