Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (supratweaked)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-25-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
Just dropped my boat off with Dennis down at Liquidtrends in Fairfeild they are setting me up with a Exile Audio set up. Here is what im looking at and wondering what others thought are on Head Units and EQ'S. What are you running and what do you like or dislike about your setup.

Head Unit - Alpine iDA-X100M or Alpine CDA-9886M
Equalizer - Audio Control THREE.2 or ARC AUDIO XEQ

Thanks,

Vince
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
Pretty killer gear you listed up. The audio control stuff is second to none, and I mean NONE. The are the best of the best.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-25-2011, 8:42 PM Reply   
We use alot of Alpine, Kenwood, Clarion and Sony marine source units. All good units. Alpine would have to be my personal favorite. Gotta love the ipod processing and dual zone control on the remote. Great preamps at any voltage.
Certainly the Audio Control is a very clean EQ. Its an excellent choice if you're running surf speakers on the tower that are similar in sound to the in-boat speakers.
Clarion makes a nice inexpensive EQ but you can't defeat the lowpass crossover filter which may be an issue in some systems. If you've got a good ear it can be hard to tune around a fixed frequency if its not the right one.
The WetSounds WS420 EQ was designed specifically for wakeboarding. Built-in PA system and mic. The biggest difference is that the WS420 has two completely separate EQs, one for the tower zone and one for the in-boat zone. You can quickly adjust the tower speakers for near proximity listening or wake range without influencing the in-boat speakers in the process. Tough to beat, especially if you are running HLCDs on the tower.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2011, 9:37 PM Reply   
Comon dave you know liquid trends doesn't sell WS anymore.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-26-2011, 2:46 AM Reply   
i want a new hu so bad. if i could find remotes that looked halfway decent in respective spots i'd do it in a minute.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-26-2011, 6:03 AM Reply   
NuBu,
I have no idea what every dealer across the nation does and does not carry. They're in California and we're in Texas. Why would I want to keep track? We are in a discussion about EQs and we should omit the one that got an innovation award?

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-26-2011, 6:28 AM Reply   
If the guy is going with an Exile system - why wouldn't he just put the new exile EQ unit in?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-26-2011, 7:10 AM Reply   
Exile has stated that they're not coming out with a processor this year. Let's not change this into another one of those pointless threads. The OP asked an 'open' rather than a 'closed' question and got a legit answer.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-26-2011, 7:25 AM Reply   
I have the Alpine iDA-X100M HU and Alpine MC10 remote combined with the WS 420. It works great, especially with the Ipod/Iphone. The only thing I wish is that it was Bluetooth capable. I believe the new Alpine HU is.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-26-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
NuBu,
I have no idea what every dealer across the nation does and does not carry. They're in California and we're in Texas. Why would I want to keep track? We are in a discussion about EQs and we should omit the one that got an innovation award?

David
Earmark Marine
I wasn't talking about every dealer in the US I was talking about them. If I had to guess I'd guess that you do talk to them from time to time and did know that.
Old     (brian_b)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-26-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
I have the alpine 100m and ws420. I have been plugging my ipod directly into the ws420 with an adaptor chord (not to the 3.5, that stinks, but plugging into the rca in the back, same that the deck goes into. I'm not real tech savvy, so excuse me. But I just wanted to say that in my application/use I don't even need the deck. Wish I had saved the money now. But if you are doing other "deck" stuff, radio, cd, satellite, etc., you will need the deck obviously. But if you're an ipod guy only, think about ditching the deck.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-26-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
NuBu,
Again, this is totally pointless dialogue that has zero benefit to anyone, and in particular the OP.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-26-2011, 11:44 AM Reply   
Brian,
The type of input (3.5mm or RCA) on the EQ would not make a difference. However, which output is used from the ipod will make a big difference. The 3.5mm output jack on the top of the ipod is often a basic class B amplifier designed for headphones. The bottom port of the ipod provides a true preamp with a much higher quality signal and that should be converted to USB, RCA or 3.5mm. That's probobly the way that you are running things but I wanted to clarify that for anyone who possibly wasn't following you.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-26-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
Vince,

I was in your situation a couple of years ago.Maybe the path I took could help you out or lead you to what you want.

My overall goal was to make the system dummy proof, so if one of my buddies started turning knobs - he would not kill the system. I also relied heavily on the ipod for my music and I had to be able to change songs and scroll through my play lists via the ipod and not the head unit.

My head unit choice was an Alpine CDA 9886 which was the top of the line unit with a CD player. I think they also made a DVD unit but I was not interested.

For the EQ I actually started out with a Wetsounds 420 and it is a sweet little unit but it was not for me. It was too easy for me to turn the wrong knob. I ended up pulling this unit out b/c I was always worried that I had turned the wrong knob and the stereo did not sound like it was supposed to. I ended up going with an Audiocontrol line driver that was mounted our of sight and had no knobs that needed to be adjusted other than setting the gains during the initial tuning of the syste,.

Now the Alpine unit has the full speed ipod connection where you can plug in your ipod and control everything from the head unit....it actually locks your ipod. This was not what I wanted. I went and bought the $20 Alpine Ai-Net cablle that went into the back of the deck and came out as a set of RCA's. This is the same connection port on the back of the deck that you would hook a cd changer to...so you know the connection is quality.

I spent about 30 bucks on a peripheral IS 75 cable that allowed me to hook into the bottom"din" port on the Ipod and then hook it to the RCA's on the back of the deck. You can run a positive and negative lead with the cable and it allows the to charge while playing

So here is how I would operate.

Turn on the Stereo and turn it to Aux. Turn on the Ipod and select the song I wanted via the Ipod. Turn up the volume on the Stereo to whatever I desired. If you get a song that has to much Bass it in - you just go over the the head unit and adjust accordingly.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-26-2011, 4:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e_m View Post
NuBu,
Again, this is totally pointless dialogue that has zero benefit to anyone, and in particular the OP.

David
Earmark Marine
You didn't have to reply but since you did and didn't deny it I'll guess I was right.
Old     (DMeyersLT)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-04-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
Had a chance to sit back down with Vince and go over the details on his boat one more time before install so here is what he decided to go with.

Head unit- Alpine iDA-X100M

EQ- Audio Control Three.2

Tower- 2 pair of Exile SXT65
More tower - 1 pair of Exile XM7 (This is the hybrid set up)

Cabin Speakers- 3 pair SX65c (6.5Inch Marine 2 way Coaxial Speaker 100W rms / 200W peak)

Subwoofer- Exile BiG12D2 (Big Series-12" DVC Extreme Subwoofer 1600W rms / 3200 peak)

Tower Amp- Exile Xi1k with the TBOX (Two Channel "Harpoon" 300W x2 @ 4ohm or 500W x2 @2 ohm)

Cabin Amp- Exile Xi800.4 (Four Channel 800W Class AB Power Amplifier 125 x4 @ 4ohm)

Subwoofer Amp- Exile Xi1500.1 (Monoblock 1500W Class D Power Amplifier 1500W x1 @ 1 ohm)

So Vince decided that for a head unit he did not want to have cd player he explained that in his last boat he had the same cd in for ever and never used it. So that being said we knew that the best radio for him would be the Alpine iDA-X100M being that he can have the KCE-422i for full speed Ipod function and the KCE-236B giving him one more option for audio input. As far as an Eq goes first thing was that it needed to be nice and easy so the girls could operate it and not have any problems out on the water along with he did not need or want a mic, so that being said we went with our first choice which is the Audio control three.2 all around just a killer piece in my mind nothing sounds better on the market than it and also gives him another audio input for some extra little goodies down the road.....

And as for the Exile gear here at Liquidtrends NB, we use nothing but the best and in our opinion Exile is the best.....

Will post some pics as soon as we get her done.

Dennis Meyers Liquidtrends NB
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-04-2011, 9:03 AM Reply   
Thats a killer gear list and for sure should sound amazing.
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-04-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
You didn't have to reply but since you did and didn't deny it I'll guess I was right.
Been a long winter, there NuBu? stir, stir, stir.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-04-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerobsession View Post
Been a long winter, there NuBu? stir, stir, stir.
If you don't the bs sticks to the bottom, you know that.