Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2014, 1:59 PM Reply   
Hey I have a question,
I'm kind of stuck on my Dryer vent. Take a look at the drawings I did and tell me what you think. The electric dryer is located on the other side of the house where venting it is not a real option. The only Option I have is to run a long line under the house.

The question comes in Should I or Do have to run a dryer booster fan to help exhaust the lint ect. Im hearing the rule of thumb is 25 foot max vent pipe and subtract 5 foot for every 90 bend. So that leaves me short.One expert said if I run 4 inch metal pipe I will be fine with the 30 foot run and two 90's

Dryer vent fans are $188 at home depot and need a bit of work I don't mind doing it if its a must but If I don't have to I would rather not. Let me know what you think.

If you have not heard of (like me) dryer vent fans they are inline fans designed to push the moist air and lint threw the line and help keep your vent clog free and your dryer running efficient. The longer the vent and the more bends you have the easier it its to have lint build up and potential blockage and even fire
Attached Images

Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-13-2014, 8:14 AM Reply   
Call a concrete coring company to drill a 4" hole in the wall a possibility? Maybe the same cost as the piping materials/vent fan electrical etc.. If not a possibility I think I would go with option #2 thinkg the 4' rise is for sure going to allow lint to fall back into the 90 and be a possible fire source at some point.
Get a hold of Jason Buffalo on here or his website and see if he has a thought.
http://buffac.com/
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-13-2014, 8:28 AM Reply   
I put one in my last house and it made a incredible difference!!! Drying time cut in half! Wife is complaining in new house that dryer sucks so I'm gonna spend the cash and put one in. I think these things have to pay for themselves with the energy savings over a very short time. Seems my wife is constantly washing clothes.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2014, 8:53 AM Reply   
Ron; how long was your dryer vent run. And when you installed the fan what did your old vent look like. Was it full of lint ect??
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2014, 8:57 AM Reply   
I was not real clear in my options.

Option 2 was to run the vent 25 feet and 2 90's and call it a day (no vent fan)
Option 3 was to install a Fan.

The vent fan expert I spoke to said don't worry about it. He said if you were having the home inspected then by code you would need one.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-13-2014, 11:26 AM Reply   
Grant my run was about 30' with a 90 bend. On my new house run is only about 20' and a 90 bend. And yes old vent did have some build up and dryer worked much better after that was cleaned up but still kinda sucked so put in the fan. And worked awesome for the remaining 3 yrs I lived there. Wife thought I was a genius!

Here's what I had and will put in again.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GX...&sr=8-1&sr=8-1
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2014, 3:38 PM Reply   
I ended up getting a fan from Home Depot $188 it's got a current sensing switch so when I you turn the dryer on it kicks on the vent fan. And with the clamps and Hardwear this is gonna be close to a $400 item/install
I will look for a guy to core into my cinder block and try and vent to the closer side of the house and if I can I will just do that and return the Fan.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2014, 7:34 AM Reply   
Hey G, you can always call me on HVAC stuff. Hell I would trade you a ride for my "services". The dryer fans work awesome and we use them in commercial application often. So there are two issues to think of. The first is lint/dust building up on the fan itself and there creating a fire hazard down the line. We usually put a lint trap right in front of the fan along with an access door on the duct so that abut once a year you can take a look in the duct/fan and clean if necessary.

The others is that now you are "sucking" air through the dryer. With some dryers this will actually cool the air that it can achieve in the drum. So it is something to be aware of.If you get to powerfully you can actually increase the drying time instead of decreasing.

Most of those fans actually have an air pressure sensor in the duct and when the pressure raises in the duct it turns the fans on. They work well.

I prefer to see the duct got out the wall (with core cut) and have a flapper on the wall vent. I am not sure about up there but I think the core cut should be like $200-300. Just go a little bigger than you need so you have room for the vent on the outside and you can seal with sikaflex.

If you are going to do the hard duct (which is better) than be careful which screws you use and those are lint catchers as well. Pop rivets are better, but if not use the little black screws the framers use to build walls out of sheet metal studs. they are like #6 x 3/4"

Access door: Something like this -http://www.ductmate.com/product.aspx?id=15
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-16-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
Jason thanks for the offer, that's awesome. I installed the washer and dryer this weekend and I'm amazed at how well the new combo works. The clothes come out so dry that the dryer dosent need to go for more then 15 mins. I did a huge load of towels and they felt almost dry comming out if the washer. I hung them outside for 1 hr and they were dry Pretty cool. I bought the dryer fan but decided Not to install it. The extra hassle Plumming in a 110 power source along with tapping into the 220 for a current sence made me say Forget this unit. I wanna get one of the units you talked about where it sence's flow and kicks on. I'll take a measurement of the actual dryer vent run and you can advise me of weather I need one or not
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-16-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
Something like this:

http://www.fantech.net/enus/Solutions/clean-laundries/

http://www.fantech.net/Documentation...dries%20EN.pdf
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-17-2014, 8:40 AM Reply   
Yes that fan looks way more plug and play then the one I got at Home Depot. The voltage sence seemed like a more reliable option cause I have heard the vacume sence fans sometimes have issues from blockage and are not reliable. But for all the work I was going to have to do to make the Home Depot fan work I would be willing to TRY the FanTech one posted