Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-23-2014, 2:48 PM Reply   
I am having a party for my dad's birthday and I want to have some music outside. Nothing too crazy just background noise. There is going to be about 50 people so I do need some sound.
I was looking at buying some rock speakers and a receiver but don't know if this is the right direction to go?
I have seen other options for wireless systems but I am scared of the wireless products. I have a wireless sub for my theater and it sucks.

This will not be used much after the party so I am not looking to break the bank.

Portable might be the way to go so after the party I can relocate it to the lake house.

I got a quote on renting stuff but it was major over kill.

Any suggestions?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-23-2014, 3:41 PM Reply   
2 Options

I can lend you a Mackie SRM 450 a self powered Speaker with a built in AMP that you could plug your I-pod into. Its the Speakers we use in the DJ stand

OR you can go buy a SONOS. They are pretty cool and Im sure you could find a place to use it. The Wireless or WiFi stuff would work just fine. Example your I-pod would either plug into the SONOS or if you had a I-phone you could Bluetooth the music to the SONOS unit

http://www.sonos.com/?lang=en-us&reg...8AAA&gclsrc=ds
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-24-2014, 7:44 AM Reply   
Get a setup on Craig's list like Grant did.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-24-2014, 10:32 AM Reply   
I run the rock speakers and receiver year 'round in my yard. For the wiring, I used 12v malibu lighting cable. For music, we use the tuner, or a bluetooth receiver plugged into the tuner on the patio in a weatherproof cabinet.

The sound is great around the pool with the fountains and slide running and kids screaming. The total price is significantly lower than a Sonos set up, and can be set up your own way. As for speaker placement, I placed the speakers on the outside of the pool facing in. This allows better sound, and doesn't broadcast our music to the neighborhood. Our Neighbors appreciate this!
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-25-2014, 11:08 AM Reply   
I have one of these I use to power some speakers near our hot tub area. Seems decent. Not going to blow you away, but loud enough to hear from 60 while doing yard work. It's nice because you don't need a receiver this way as all we listen to is music on our phones.

http://www.amphony.com/products/audio-amplifier.htm
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-25-2014, 11:54 AM Reply   
I just parked my boat with a trickle charger attached to the battery and played music on my wet sounds pro80s for my daughters first birthday party where we had a pig roast. Is that an option?

If not there's lots of wireless/Bluetooth speakers out there that will work. SONOS is great but expensive, just depends on your budget.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-28-2014, 1:26 PM Reply   
I was going to go the Sonos route. But I have a spare receiver and I think I am just going to buy a couple rock speakers and call it a day. I just won't use this enough to spend a lot of money. This is a surprise party for my dad that will be mostly older people. I don't think they will be rocking it hard so the rock speakers and receiver should take care of it.