Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-29-2014, 3:56 PM Reply   
This post from a GORUCK Cadre (Special Forces vet) leading an event there.

Quote:
So I was just told by a capitol police officer here in Richmond that I can't fly any flag on a stick. I had the GORUCK flag and the American flag. I wanted to make sure I wasn't just hearing things so I wanted to confirm that he said that I can't fly the American flag. So I wasn't just hearing things. I then told him, "You mean to tell me that I can't fly the American flag?" That's when this officer said that flying a flag on a stick is a sign of protesting. WOW! Not happening! I'll gladly go to jail over that one!
So, how as a country have we come to this? Someone explain the thought process behind this kind of lawmaking to me. And then justify it with some kind of logic that actually is, you know, logical.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       03-29-2014, 4:24 PM Reply   
..... I'll fly that flag till the day I die!
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-30-2014, 5:48 AM Reply   
It may (subjectively by the officer) considered a sign of disrespect. There are a lot of rules on the proper displaying of the flag but I've never heard of what you are talking about. I'd asked to see the law--written form--that was being violated. http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-30-2014, 7:08 AM Reply   
I teach american history and civics. There is standard ettiqute for carrying a flag. Was this event on private or public property? If it is private property, the owners do have the right to not allow certain actions or behaviors. If it is public property you have every right to fly a flag. Thats freedom of expression (1st amendment) all day long.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-30-2014, 4:34 PM Reply   
Public property. This is a GORUCK event:

https://www.goruck.com/good-livin#.Uzin1IUXLVg

I'm well aware of flag ettiquette. Do you honestly believe that the SF vet who was leading the class wasn't aware of it? There is no violation of US flag etiquette that I've ever seen. As a matter of fact, the whole class is usually punished with some kind of exercise if they allow the flag to even graze the ground..

It had nothing to do with the officer being concerned with disrespecting the flag.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...ls-guns-flags/

According to these articles, it's because the sticks could be used as "weapons."
Old    bigdtx            03-30-2014, 4:50 PM Reply   
LOL!

Guns OK. Sticks not. I bet if you show up with a crossbow their heads explode.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       03-31-2014, 6:12 AM Reply   
While the moms tore out the dowels of their flags, capitol grounds visitors with firearms were ushered through the entrance. The anti-gun violence activists couldn't reconcile this conflicting message in their heads, Reeder explained. “We are sending a message that you cannot hand carry an American flag into a state capitol, but you can bring a loaded weapon,” Reeder told ThinkProgress. “Are guns becoming more patriotic than an American flag?