Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-03-2013, 3:41 PM Reply   
I like the front end, they added that A in pretty tastefully.
Attached Images

Old     (ers906)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-03-2013, 4:03 PM Reply   
And you Johnny defacto know nothing about myself or anything else apparently. Instead of recognizing that nothing of detriment was stated, you opted for the insult. The interior styling between the G and this boat are nothing alike. You lack of knowledge is pretty obvious, and in the shows you overall insecurities. To quote the movie Billy Madison,
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-03-2013, 4:40 PM Reply   
whoa whoa, hold on there....

first, I love Billy Madison.

second, I know things.

third, I did recognize that you were not being negative and I never stated that you were. I was just poking fun at this whole situation, it is great entertainment and I am subscribed!!! I did quote you because I thought it was funny. Those 2 boats look exactly alike, even the towers have an S bend to them. I did not know you were referring to the interior only when you made that vague, over-broad comment. I never said the G and the Apex interior are alike.

fourth. The G and the Apex interiors are alike. There, now I said it. It's true. boxy, straight lines, fake wood floors, straight up and down seats with very little depth to the cushion patterns, HUGE transom step through, even the straight glass style windshield.

fifth. I have a huge lack of knowledge, but in no way did I make that obvious in my last post..... one would have to have read my last 20 or so posts before coming to that conclusion.

sixth. No insults, just telling it like it is... in a joking manner, no offense intended, these are just boats man.

seventh. Overall insecurities... yes I have worn overall's before, and I felt like an idiot, and slightly insecure.

eighth. please when trying to insult me by insinuating that I lack knowledge, use proper grammar, otherwise it makes "you lack of knowledge" pretty obvious.
Old     (ers906)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-03-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
Impressive well thought our reply. I applaud you. . We tend to see what we want in these posts, I guess. Point Johnny.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-03-2013, 4:55 PM Reply   
Another big heavy boat that you can add lot's of ballast to. uhhh, vern, ya think it makes a big wake? how do it do that?
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-03-2013, 6:02 PM Reply   
I really like the cooler location. It's way easier to pack to the cooler outside the boat then to load and unload a stationary cooler. Also, the location is perfect so people arent having to constantly move to get a drink. One thing I dont like is the new control screen trim that looks like something out of transformers. Also, im not a fan of squared off interiors like the moombas. The most important thing which we dont know yet is how good of a wake does this thing throw for wakeboard and surf.

By the way, I agree the ASR is a total knock off of the Centurion Falcon V released in 1986, what were they thinking of copying Centurion in creating a V-drive boat !!! Don't buy boats that copy another boat!

Last edited by goride; 10-03-2013 at 6:06 PM. Reason: .
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-03-2013, 6:37 PM Reply   
I remember someone saying on here a while back or maybe it was at the boat show that tige bought a g23 in the company name and literally pulled it apart basically reverse engineering it. Makes sense now. I don't like the sharp squared interior but other than that I think it looks good. That transom board storage is super cool. I'll bet the wake is pretty similar to a g. Actually come to think of it I am pretty sure jimmy lariche was the one that told me that.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-03-2013, 6:42 PM Reply   
Does the tige come with a 1.25" prop shaft?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-03-2013, 7:03 PM Reply   
Here's the deal. It's a gorgeous, sick ass boat that pretty much only 2%ers and above can afford. I wouldn't get to bent over it since it'll never be on your boat lift.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-03-2013, 9:56 PM Reply   
So I was setting up our stuff for the broadcast of mywake this weekend and I thought I would take a few pics, plus some pics I took the night of the reveal, shat show scale. The boat is big. And I have been in and out of a G23 and G25. This feels bigger than a G23 inside, not sure why, its like wider, or more open, not sure, I guess I would have to put them side by side.

So here is the bow of the ASR, I know its blurry, but you get the idea.

2013-10-02 21.45.28 by wake9, on Flickr

That is four normal sized people in there, its big.

The lights behind the blade on the side are really sick, I can't wait to see what they look like at night on the water when the boat is sacked.

2013-10-02 21.47.14 by wake9, on Flickr

As a dad of six, I love the trash can in my Z3, not sure I like this position as much, but its cool. There is extra storage next to it, and if that other side drains, it could be used as another cooler, just ice and cold ones in there.

2013-10-02 21.52.33 by wake9, on Flickr

Doum got inside the rear locker, he could have laid down and went to sleep, ginourmous.

2013-10-02 21.53.51 by wake9, on Flickr

I wish I had a great picture that shows how big the port side seating is with scale, it seems so much longer than my Z3, which is a longer boat.

Here is me with the boat. I am 6'2" and 400 lbs.

2013-10-03 17.43.34 by wake9, on Flickr

My Z3 is pulling the wakesurf portion of the event, so I pulled it up next to the ASR. The boats sit on the trailer about the same, in the sense that the bottoms of the hulls are at the same height off of the ground.

2013-10-03 18.39.18 by wake9, on Flickr

Now, the Z3 can take a bunch of weight in stride and make a great wake, but what is the potential with this beast?

2013-10-03 18.43.52 by wake9, on Flickr

I know the shape is there, because we tested the surf wake with the tub/plug.

Last edited by ragboy; 10-03-2013 at 9:56 PM. Reason: grammar
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-03-2013, 10:55 PM Reply   
looks good but no industry game changer......
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-03-2013, 11:01 PM Reply   
i dont like when people have way too much hype for what they are releasing. yes they are proud of thier new product.... but they claims and the wait dont back it up. game changers are: the tower, balast, the first larger boats, surf systems(nautique and malibu), speed control, etc.....
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-04-2013, 5:51 AM Reply   
I'm blown away that there are people here who will try to convince themselves that it's not a G ripoff. Even my Tige-owning friend flatly said 'yeah, they bought a G and made a cast of the hull.. and then the whole thing'
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-04-2013, 7:06 AM Reply   
Hey I'm a Nautique guy and as I've said before I don't have a problem that this boat resembles the G. As others have said this is the trend that is needed if you want to be able to put close to 3k factory ballast in a boat and still have all the storage and room that these boats have. Just wait MC and BU will probably have to do something similar if they want to keep up and have a boat that can produce the kinda stock wake that this boat is likely to produce. More power to Tige! I'm interested and will certainly consider one! Lets see if Tige can beat Nautique to a sub 23' ASR series boat! Lots of talk out there about a g21 be cool if Tige beat them to it with a ASR 21 or 21.5!

Said it before and will say again Tige shoulda done something with that tower to freshen it up and without a surf system its still kinda a let down for the supposed self titled Surf first boat brand they say they are.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-04-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
@ Mark,

Sure it resembles a G23, but really, does anyone actually believe that a mold was cast of the G hull and was copied? How long to people actually think it takes to build a new boat design from scratch? Chit, it took Krypt Audio a year to rebrand its WS-420 knock off.......this is a 5400 lbs 23 ft boat! If they actually did, they why bother with all the wake testing with a mocked up hull, a steering wheel and a bolted on tower? No need for the test, as the wake would have been the best ever, right?

The really funny posts are from those that in one sentence, they criticize it for looking like a G, then in the next sentence, they again criticize it for not copying a surf system like surf gate or NSS.

Tige seemes damned if the do, damned if they dont, with the haters.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-04-2013, 7:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
The really funny posts are from those that in one sentence, they criticize it for looking like a G, then in the next sentence, they again criticize it for not copying a surf system like surf gate or NSS
That made me laugh out loud! It's a tough crowd to please on here.
Old     (Bibbs32)      Join Date: May 2013       10-04-2013, 7:29 AM Reply   
Agree chpthri; Its nice to have choices. Who cares if it looks like another product. I think people should just be happy to be in and behind a boat. When you take friends, family and buds out---do they really care what boat it is? Nice to be out. Seems to be people who want to cut down something. I could have the exact same boat and they would say their white color on their boat is better and nicer. Guess we could eliminate a bunch of this stuff if manufacturers all built the exact same boat--as well as GMC, ford,dodge. All girls should dye there hair the same as I prefer blondes. If you dont like it, dont buy it--at least you have a choice. Seems like some guys would be alot of fun to be with in a boat--I dont like this--they copied that, etc etc. Stop bitching and be glad you are boating behind something. Sorry Rant over
Old    rullery            10-04-2013, 7:33 AM Reply   
You guys! it "looks" like a G23 because these boats are in a different size class! It's like saying a Silverado looks like a F150 because they are pickups with big wheels and big engine compartments and they both have extended cabs and tow things. Or that a Ford expedition looks like a Chevy Suburban. That's what it's going to take when you want to achieve certain utilitarian goals.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-04-2013, 7:39 AM Reply   
Wow! Thanks for posting those pics Robert! I had no idea it was that big! You will need an 8' garage door minimum to put the boat in the garage with the tower down from the looks of it.
Old    rullery            10-04-2013, 7:43 AM Reply   
and LOL at anybody that flat out criticizes any boat without talking about the positives. The true boat enthusiast can find something to appreciate in most every boat. So when you are obviously biased towards any one, two or three brands in my mind you can be discredited for being truly objective about a critique.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-04-2013, 7:49 AM Reply   
"I'm blown away that there are people here who will try to convince themselves that it's not a G ripoff."

I'm blown away that there are people that care. Its a boat.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-04-2013, 7:55 AM Reply   
"Sure it resembles a G23, but really, does anyone actually believe that a mold was cast of the G hull and was copied? "

I thought the same exact thing. Don't people understand copyright/patent law or the concept of them? If Tige did that they would be sued so fast the world might stop. In an industry as competitive as the tow boat one that would ruin a company. Is it similar...sure it is. But to think they made a plug off a G23 hull is ridiculous. If it was that easy, I'd go rent one for the weekend, make a plug of the hull and be producing boats in a month. Wonder if Nautique would be Ok with me doing that?

Disclaimer: I am in no way denying its a boat targeted at the same market as a G23. I am Ok with it being called a G23 copy, clone, twin or whatever. Is no doubt inspired by the G. But for people to think they actually "ripped off" the exact hull shape??? Get real. Again if it was that easy I'd be making boats!! Really I would. Imagine being able to sell a 100K+ boat with $0 R/D, already knowing the design rocked...everybody would be doing it!!
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-04-2013, 8:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
"Sure it resembles a G23, but really, does anyone actually believe that a mold was cast of the G hull and was copied? "

I thought the same exact thing. Don't people understand copyright/patent law or the concept of them? If Tige did that they would be sued so fast the world might stop. In an industry as competitive as the tow boat one that would ruin a company. Is it similar...sure it is. But to think they made a plug off a G23 hull is ridiculous. If it was that easy, I'd go rent one for the weekend, make a plug of the hull and be producing boats in a month. Wonder if Nautique would be Ok with me doing that?

Disclaimer: I am in no way denying its a boat targeted at the same market as a G23. I am Ok with it being called a G23 copy, clone, twin or whatever. Is no doubt inspired by the G. But for people to think they actually "ripped off" the exact hull shape??? Get real. Again if it was that easy I'd be making boats!! Really I would. Imagine being able to sell a 100K+ boat with $0 R/D, already knowing the design rocked...everybody would be doing it!!
People do that already... a asian company got sued by yamaha I believe, If I recall correctly they even used the yamaha logo. Thats pretty blatant. I think they were using yamaha watercraft engines in a seadoo copied hull. There are heaps of recreational vehicles that get knocked off by asian manufacturers as well. Ever looked at the piston in a CF moto ATV and the equivalent displacement ATV in suzuki. They even copy the engine. These situations are blatant copies of products and a lot of times violate laws, sometimes they dont. There is a drastic difference between the above described situation and borrowing styling ques that follow the current market trend.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-04-2013, 8:09 AM Reply   
Persoanlly, I like the ASR. It looks big, but they were able to pull it off without making it look so robust/bloated like the G. The interior, its just my personal preference, but malibu and MB run the game in that department for me. I have never cared for the sharp interior lines found in Nautiques, moomba, axis, etc...
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       10-04-2013, 8:18 AM Reply   
I also agree it sure "looks" like a G. There is just no denying that. All the speculation brings up the question: "Is the hull of every wakeboat actually patented?"

In other words, can a manufacturer sue another company for copying or "imitating" their hull design? I mean when you look at some of the boats over the years that put out questionable wakes and/or waves (Older Tige's come to mind, maybe older Moombas), why didn't these companies just copy the hull design of boats with amazing wakes (Xstars, VLXs, etc...)?

Fact is people on WW are SO concerned about the quality/shape/size of the wake but to %90 of the people buying these boats, I doubt they can even tell the difference between most wakes and they are likely more driven to buy based on thing's like looks, storage and seating and bling.

I'm one of those WW guys, so WHERE are the wake pics?
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-04-2013, 8:31 AM Reply   
I have no doubt that if the G23 had never existed, Tige's new flagship wakeboat would look much different. With that being said, is it really going to matter to buyers if it is or isn't a G knock off? If the price is right and the wake is as solid as everyone here is already assuming it will be, I doubt any serious buyer is going to think to himself "well, I like this boat but I just can't get myself to pull the trigger because they stole the design from Nautique." No. I think this boat will do well for them as people continually demand bigger and better surf/wakeboard wakes. To me this also represents the next evolution in the size of wakeboats. We've come a long way since flagship boats were as small as the first gen X-star, and I have a feeling that this incredibly deep composition will be the way of the future for most wakeboat companys.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-04-2013, 8:33 AM Reply   
Tige's prior hull design is patented, the Convex V hull. I don't know if this has the same hook in it that they have a patent for or not.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       10-04-2013, 8:45 AM Reply   
Do we really care if it looks like the G23? I don't. Hey if it performs like a G23 and is 25K less it will sell. I would be interested in it if I had the cash to throw down, but I don't. I think that everyone has to look at all the product out there when designing anything and try to get in the market to make some money, so the G23 is the new look maybe?

How tall is this Boat and will it fit in a normal 7' tall garage opeing? Length with trailer?

Lets hope that Tige' has made a sweet ass boat and they make some money.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-04-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
Boat will not fit in a 7 foot garage and maybe not even an 8. A Z3 will just barely go thru a 7 foot door. Look at how much taller this is in the pics. I doubt it would go thru a 8 footer. Add at least a foot to the length minimum without the platform on so lets say 24.5 feet long at least. Thats no platform and tongue swung in. You aren't putting this thing(or a G23) in a standard house garage!!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-04-2013, 9:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman74 View Post
Boat will not fit in a 7 foot garage and maybe not even an 8. A Z3 will just barely go thru a 7 foot door. Look at how much taller this is in the pics. I doubt it would go thru a 8 footer. Add at least a foot to the length minimum without the platform on so lets say 24.5 feet long at least. Thats no platform and tongue swung in. You aren't putting this thing(or a G23) in a standard house garage!!
They should make a collapsible windshield... Its already squared off, if you added some clips and hinges I don't see how it couldn't be done reliably to gain a few inches. Quick release tower feet mounts too seem like they could be done...
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-04-2013, 9:37 AM Reply   
I remember about 7 years ago when people claimed Tigé copied the "picklefork" from Mastercraft (MC wasn't the first either). Now every manufacturer makes a "picklefork" or non traditional pointed bow. Some boats just came out later then others.

Fast forward to another few years and we will see this "big boat" trend amongst all manufacturers. People are wanting bigger wakeboard wakes and bigger surf wakes. We arent going back to the low profile slalom type boats. This is what the market is dictating.

Last edited by pierce_bronkite; 10-04-2013 at 9:39 AM.
Old     (whatshesaid)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-04-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
Well said bronkite!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-04-2013, 3:41 PM Reply   
I mean I distinctly remember jimmy lariche saying they purchased a G when he was up with our shop for boat show. So what tho I would copy the g that wake is amazing
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-04-2013, 3:46 PM Reply   
The bottom line is that Tige is listening to feedback from riders and buyers and giving them what they want, a large, heavy boat that is capable of making a big wake (up for debate) and can hold huge amounts of ballast. Does that sum it up?
Old    rullery            10-04-2013, 3:51 PM Reply   
Well if Jimmy LaRiche said it, it has to be true right?!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       10-04-2013, 3:57 PM Reply   
I have no idea what kind of research Tige does on their competition, but suggesting that a company should not do any research on their competition to come up with better ideas for their own products is ridiculous. Not only do they all do it, but they all SHOULD be doing it. They have a responsibility to their customers to create the best product they can and that can't be done properly unless they get out of their own R&D room and look around at what other companies are doing.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-04-2013, 4:27 PM Reply   
So is the ASR pulling the Wakeboarding portion of My Wake?
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-04-2013, 8:00 PM Reply   
I mean this was nearly a year ago and it sure looks like the G... just saying
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-04-2013, 9:05 PM Reply   
When I picked up my boat in april/may this year Tige had an RZ2 all cut up. They had added about 5" of deck height to it, added the deeper keel and niping and tucking every where else. So to say it was a direct mold from a G is highly unlikely. Similarities for sure between the boats. None of us know anything until we ride behind it. Honestly likely 1% of the people on here are good enough to really use the wake anyway but 10% of the people can afford it just to say they have it. Majority of the people slamming this boat have and I/O and should not comment or even a way ****tier boat and it does not matter.

Not sure why people get there panties in a not about this. I personally like this boat at first glance, need to ride it to see if it makes a good wakesurf wake. Only my brother is good enough wakeboarder in the family to use a wake of this caliber. If you do not like it move on. I find it funny how MC, Bu and Nautique owners are so quick to be snobs to new boats. While, Tige, Centurion, Supra, MB, etc are so quick to give each other hi fives and a smile or a wave on the lake. I like boats. Tige is my choice because of versatility and I have yet to find a boat that surfs better. If I was rich I would have one of every brand that I liked. Especially some of those old wood correct crafts.

For the record, Tige does have a surf system called the VX. We do not need special tabs on the back of the boat to make a surfwake. Our wake is awesome the way it is. Its big, long and tons of fun. The VX actually enhances the wakes length and taps changes the shape. Its awesome and its to bad other brands and even the older tiges cant have it.

Cant wait to try out this Apex!
Old     (fic)      Join Date: May 2008       10-05-2013, 4:25 AM Reply   
I think there all copying columbus and his three boats , like who had the first v-drive, are all others a copy, who had the first skylon are all others a copy, who had the first ballast are all others a copy, who had the first convex v and a trim plate are all others a copy, so what is the purpose of this disscussion?
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-05-2013, 5:48 AM Reply   
Tristan you make some very good points, but let's be honest here. Claiming BU, MC, and Nautique owners are quick to be snobs but the others guys aren't is a bit ridiculous. The fact is, every boat owner regardless of brand can be a snob. We've seen it on here countless times even with your preferred brand, TIge. You also mention that you don't need plates or things mounted to the back yet you say you need the taps to change the shape which, correct me if I'm wrong, is just a fancy name for the Tige trim tab (a plate mounted to the transom? I'm not hating, my preferred brand used plates, I'm just trying to clarify. The new Tige definitely took some ideas from the G, so what. I'm a Nautique guy, but it doesn't bother me that other brands may be using G ideas and putting their own twist on them. It is what it is and we all seem to forget why we buy boats in the first place, to have fun and make memories. Enjoy your boats people regardless of brand, it's all for fun. The G23 is an amazing boat and there is no perfect boat out there, it won't be surprising to see other companies building similar boats and there isn't anything wrong with it. I think using terms like innovative and the cutting edge just got sharper are a bit inaccurate when the similarities are incredibly similar to a G, but that's just MHO.
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-05-2013, 8:13 AM Reply   
It's a big boat. Made a huge wake in pretty terrible conditions and looking from shore it didn't appear to be weighted very well but everyone liked it that rode it yesterday.
Here's a shot of my son behind it
Name:  20131004_145930.jpg
Views: 3745
Size:  72.8 KB
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-05-2013, 8:50 AM Reply   
My son and the other rider are friends. Other rider is really good though. 14 and he rides outlaw. Any rate they both know a g23 xstar axis, etc wake all pretty dang well...
They said the ASR is huge, lippy, but narrow. My boy rides at 65 on my axis. He wanted out at 70 and even thought he wanted to go to 75. They both really liked it but water conditions sucked (some of the driving did too but I'm not gonna go on about that) in good water this wake should excite a few people.
Old     (loudelectronics)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-05-2013, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
Tristan you make some very good points, but let's be honest here. Claiming BU, MC, and Nautique owners are quick to be snobs but the others guys aren't is a bit ridiculous. The fact is, every boat owner regardless of brand can be a snob. We've seen it on here countless times even with your preferred brand, TIge. You also mention that you don't need plates or things mounted to the back yet you say you need the taps to change the shape which, correct me if I'm wrong, is just a fancy name for the Tige trim tab (a plate mounted to the transom? I'm not hating, my preferred brand used plates, I'm just trying to clarify. The new Tige definitely took some ideas from the G, so what. I'm a Nautique guy, but it doesn't bother me that other brands may be using G ideas and putting their own twist on them. It is what it is and we all seem to forget why we buy boats in the first place, to have fun and make memories. Enjoy your boats people regardless of brand, it's all for fun. The G23 is an amazing boat and there is no perfect boat out there, it won't be surprising to see other companies building similar boats and there isn't anything wrong with it. I think using terms like innovative and the cutting edge just got sharper are a bit inaccurate when the similarities are incredibly similar to a G, but that's just MHO.
Dave, for sure. I know quite a few MC and Nautique owners that are awesome. Just more referencing on this site. It seems if you do not own a big three, the rest does not matter. We do get way more waves and people stopping by the cabin from non big three owners though at the lake. Just seems to be the way it is. Met a great family this year that just bought a 2013 xstar this year. Surfed lots with them and really enjoyed there company. Really nice boat too. But your right though, there are tons of jerks out there and does not matter the brand.

Regarding Taps, this is pretty much an equalizer as most boats have some form of trim plate now regardless of how will it works with the hull or not. I was referring to all the comments about how this new Apex keeps getting slammed for not having a "Surf System" when it does. It has the CVX. It is a different approach to making a bigger longer wake and is the only thing like it out there. The surf tabs are cool to be able to switch from side to side, but not really needed to make a good surf wake. The tige surf wake is phenomenal with out it. Adding surf tabs likely wont make it better. Just easier to switch side to side. Everyone we surf with is regular any way so no one cares about the goofy wake. So Just sust sayin just because it does not have... does not mean it wont be good. No proof of the surf wake anyway so none of us can speculate.

As for the rest.. That is just marketing 101. It worked, people are talking about it. Sure the wakeboard wake will be on par with the G but maybe it will have the tige lip that so many people like. I am sure the wakes will not be identical again speculation. Time will tell. All in all though, this boat is legit and a good option for lots of people.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-05-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
I think his generalization is accurate. bu, mc, and nautique owners are probably somewhat more likely to be snobs then other brand owners. They perceive - perhaps rightly or wrongly - that they are in a premium brand. And they don't want to admit to themselves that other brands could be a competitor or as good.

http://www.planetnautique.com/vb3/sh...hey-copied-g23

Last edited by scottb7; 10-05-2013 at 9:50 AM.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-05-2013, 10:31 AM Reply   
Good write up man and please know I was not taking a shot at you just trying to keep a level playing field for any consumers reading this. At the end of the day it's all about these brands pushing the envelope and it's great that in the past 3 years the envelope is really starting to get pushed. I think what angers me most is knowing how much fun I've had on the water and what this industry and lifestyle is truly about, then seeing all the uptight posts on this forum. It will never end though as this is a public forum and just as I am expressing my opinion, every single person on here has the same right. As for the Apex, props to Tige for trying to develope a more core wake boat. It definitely represents a G23 in many aspects and I'm proud to work for a company (I work for the dealer, not the factory to clarify) that other brands are trying to replicate what has already been done. Is that comment intended to knock Tige, absolutely not. Do I think Tige used a copy mold? Absolutely not. Do I think they learned a lot from Nautique and a G23 while building this boat, yes I do. There's nothing wrong with that, the G regardless of any biased opinions has been one of the most proven wake boats since the older Xstar. In the end it will come down to how well the boat performs, who it appeals to, and what price point. I believe the Z3 was running 6 figures fully loaded. If so, I would imagine this boat will be closer to 110-115k. If that's the case you can get a G23 for a few thousand more. If this boat comes in below 6 figures, props to Tige.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-05-2013, 10:33 AM Reply   
Scott cmon man, any of us can dig through a Tige, Malibu, Nautique, or MC forum and pull up some yahoo that bashed or said something stupid. That link and post is irrelevant. First we compare boats for feed back, now we're comparing the quality of the owners per each manufacturer? hahaha
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-05-2013, 11:02 AM Reply   
I agree with you that anyone can search thru and find that stuff. But like I said my personal experience is consistent with the generality made. The kind of stuff that bugs me is when the nautique guys say tige is crap because the switched away from pcm, and then there are plenty (in my opinion) of posts with pcm starting problems, and other things, like superchargers turning off or not turning off. And they say nautique quaility is great and the props fall off.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and supporting me sharing mine.

Oh, though I guess I would add that I am unsure what you think anyone has done to push the envelope. Everyone is making bigger heavier boats with trim tabs mounted downward or sideways. Again you are entitled to your opinion but to my way of thinking that is not pushing the envelope. Heavier boat, bigger wake, more time in the air, more spins. Cool. (really i mean it cool, more handle passes that does require skill) But not exactly pushing the envelope in my opinion.

Last edited by scottb7; 10-05-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-05-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
Overall I like it whether it is a copy of a G23 or not. A few funky things but if someone gave it to me I would use it.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       10-05-2013, 11:44 AM Reply   
Everyone has a different definition of "pushing the envelope". To me, the fact that somebody built a bigger boat with more factory ballast than ever to enable riders to land wake to wake 1080's, wake to wake double flips, more spins, and more handle passes, is enough to say we have pushed the envelope. The introduction of surf systems in general is pushing the envelope regardless of how a trim tab was mounted. Before the surf system were people not listing their boats to the point where they were potentially dangerous to drive? Yes they were. Due to pushing the envelope and even using old technology to fabricate a new idea, we now have boats that don't need to be listed and are much safer for the recreational family and even pro rider. Pushing the envelope can also pertain to technology. Look at these new LCD screens that have complete preloaded user settings. Before these settings we had to manually adjust speed, fill and drain seperate tanks while keeping an eye on 3 different gauges, and now we don't have to do a thing other than touch one or two buttons and the boat is automated making the overall rider/driver experience so much better and lengthening the time spent on the water. There is a Jeff McKee video on this site where Jeff talks about doing a board grab while sliding a rail. He talks about how when he got back to the dock the wake dads were blown away and didn't know how to accept it, then goes on to talk about it may not always make sense but it's different and after years of being in the industry he's trying new things and pushing the envelope. In the end, we may have a different opionion of what defines pushing the envelope and that is fine, I completely respect you and your opinion.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       10-05-2013, 4:29 PM Reply   
How tall is the ASR on a trailer? Anyone know? Does that typical tower fold down the the height of the windshield?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-05-2013, 4:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspeed View Post
How tall is the ASR on a trailer? Anyone know? Does that typical tower fold down the the height of the windshield?
I heard in will fit in a standard California Garage.

Please don't take what I said above seriously. I know sarcasm is hard to pick up on over a keyboard.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-05-2013, 6:00 PM Reply   
"I have no doubt that if the G23 had never existed, Tige's new flagship wakeboat would look much different."

What does that mean? You think only nautique could have created a shovel nose boat?

Here is a link to future innovation:

https://www.google.com/search?q=shov...&bih=861&dpr=1
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-05-2013, 6:21 PM Reply   
If that was true Natuique copied Sanger.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-05-2013, 6:22 PM Reply   
The G23 is a spitting image of that Sanger shovel nose. They might actually have similar HP?
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       10-05-2013, 7:29 PM Reply   
Poor and blind people are gonna love this boat.

Gawwd, things are bad enough for the visually impaired and those flipping burgers to think now they have to settle for this...?

You know who loves this boat? The MB people do...you know why...? Because now the old MB models with the flames on the interior vinyl are no longer number one on the "Ugliest Interiors Of All Time List."

MB also finally loses title of the manufacturer whose graphics are most behind the times.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-05-2013, 8:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetRanger View Post
Poor and blind people are gonna love this boat.

Gawwd, things are bad enough for the visually impaired and those flipping burgers to think now they have to settle for this...?

You know who loves this boat? The MB people do...you know why...? Because now the old MB models with the flames on the interior vinyl are no longer number one on the "Ugliest Interiors Of All Time List."

MB also finally loses title of the manufacturer whose graphics are most behind the times.
This is what I saw when I first saw the front isometric view of the windshield...
Attached Images

Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-05-2013, 8:24 PM Reply   
Delta Force, you beat me to it. That's the g23 front end. What the hell. Seriously, what year make model is that thing?

Come on we have to amend, "I have no doubt that if the G23 had never existed, Tige's new flagship wakeboat would look much different." To say if the "xxxxx had never existed, Nautiques new flagship wakeboat would look much different."
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-05-2013, 8:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
Delta Force, you beat me to it. That's the g23 front end. What the hell. Seriously, what year make model is that thing?

Come on we have to amend, "I have no doubt that if the G23 had never existed, Tige's new flagship wakeboat would look much different." To say if the "xxxxx had never existed, Nautiques new flagship wakeboat would look much different."
Hey scott, I wasn't so much referring to the appearance of the boat as much as similarities such as depth, weight, loads of under the floor ballast, etc. I feel that they have tried to rework a proven formula (the G23) and make it their own. Had it never existed, who knows if it would have been Tige that broke new grounds and released a boat almost twice as deep/heavy as many other flagship models
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-05-2013, 9:06 PM Reply   
I hear you. Thanks for clarifying your point. I just don't think it was a big deal. I believe any one of the inboard manufacturers could have created a g-like boat. I just don't see the g as a revolution, just an evolution. It is just a big heavy boat no biggie. Just my opinion.

You gotta admit that little boat has the same front, don't it. I gotta know. Did nautique go back in their own archives, or did the bastards just copy someone else. The irony of them copying someone else is just too alluring.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-06-2013, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb7 View Post
I hear you. Thanks for clarifying your point. I just don't think it was a big deal. I believe any one of the inboard manufacturers could have created a g-like boat. I just don't see the g as a revolution, just an evolution. It is just a big heavy boat no biggie. Just my opinion.

You gotta admit that little boat has the same front, don't it. I gotta know. Did nautique go back in their own archives, or did the bastards just copy someone else. The irony of them copying someone else is just too alluring.
I think it is like a 1974 Invader or something. Yes Nautique nose, but the Tige windshield and strips made me think of an IO from the early 80s or 70s.

I really have no dog in this fight, I like both boats as I am sure they put out a wake that would be more than I'd ever need, and I'll never own either so its a little fun poking at both. They are both giant tug boats, to say one company copied another... there are certain limitations you run into with styling cues if you want a boat that has a 102" beam, 23' Length and tall ass gunwales, its going to look like a tow pig...

You know what they say, there is no replacement for displacement...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-06-2013, 11:01 AM Reply   
My problem is this: lazy. Engineering. "Oh I have an idea! Let's make a 10,000 lb rig with a big flat hull so the wake will stay the right shape when it's completely dumped!"
L-a-z-y.

We need a boat that's light and makes a small wake until you wanna go wakeboarding. Epic had the right idea but piss poor execution. This way you can cruise around and nt worry about pissing everyone and their brother off and getting banned from the lake, save a bit of gas, and then load up and have a monster wake. And no throwing a wedge or taps or some other bandaid on the back of the hull isn't gonna help.

But hey that's just my opinion....
This boat is still sick but everyone needs to come back to earth a bit before people start loosing their chit at 6-7k lb rigs rolling down the lake before they're even freighted for water sports...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-07-2013, 12:52 AM Reply   
So I got some wake pictures. The MyWake event was this weekend and the ASR pulled the wakeskate and wakeboard portions. After the event they used our Wake9 Z3 for chase duties to get some photos/video. RJ was on the chase boat and I was on shore and we snapped a few pics that show the wake fairly well. RJ also got some video on his iPhone. These are of Rathy and Dean Smith.

IMG_1110 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_1111 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_6147 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_1127 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_6190 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_6231 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_6262 by wake9, on Flickr

IMG_6328 by wake9, on Flickr

You can see the whole set of images here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wake9/s...7636277609865/

And here is the video:

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-07-2013, 3:41 AM Reply   
That wake looks legit!
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       10-07-2013, 4:29 AM Reply   
Did anyone else see the podium for this event? I could see Dean and Rathy in the top 3, but Adam Errington? Doubt it was a coincidence that three tige athletes took the top spots. Wake looks on point though!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-07-2013, 4:35 AM Reply   
Wake looks good. I need to do some in field research. Lol
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-07-2013, 6:26 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
My problem is this: lazy. Engineering. "Oh I have an idea! Let's make a 10,000 lb rig with a big flat hull so the wake will stay the right shape when it's completely dumped!"
L-a-z-y.

We need a boat that's light and makes a small wake until you wanna go wakeboarding. Epic had the right idea but piss poor execution. This way you can cruise around and nt worry about pissing everyone and their brother off and getting banned from the lake, save a bit of gas, and then load up and have a monster wake. And no throwing a wedge or taps or some other bandaid on the back of the hull isn't gonna help.

But hey that's just my opinion....
This boat is still sick but everyone needs to come back to earth a bit before people start loosing their chit at 6-7k lb rigs rolling down the lake before they're even freighted for water sports...
Exactly. This boat is a nightmare for all the small and medium sized boats that are common on many of the waterways that we ride on. Fishermen, family boaters, etc., simply won't stand for being rolled by 3 foot wakes all day long. The Apex, the G, and the new X-Star will certainly be "gamechangers." Before their introduction, the game was played on waterways that were largely devoid of ballast restrictions, and because of their introduction the game will be played on waterways that are riddled with them.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-07-2013, 7:09 AM Reply   
I would like to have a moment of silence for the official death of the 21ft, garage friendly, towable , affordable wakeboat. RIP , RIP my friend. You will always be loved and always be missed from this day forward.

I like what I am seeing. Those wake pics, vids, and now the rest of the pics are really impressive. Is it G esque. For sure, but the market seems to be going a more deep, functional interior with tons of storage. Wakeboats no longer look like inboards. The are now going with a more runabout deeper feel. It's the way of market and what people want. Wakeboats are no longer in sport specific market. Every tuber and cruiser wants one cuz they are cool. I am not a fan of the sea deck flooring. Hit that with a power washer and it's toast. Snap out carpet is the way to go in my eyes. What happened to buying boats based on function and performance? I guess these days wakeboats in the 100k range are bought more as showpieces and dong measuring tools than actual performance boats. Core riders aren't buying these things up with price tags like that.

While I like a lot of things about Tige boats I just don't understand their pricing. To me their overall refined product lacks anything near what their MSRP's are these days. While again I think their quality and performance is above average, to me where the prices are for the big 3 Tige should be at 10-15 k lower than what they are. Just my opinion. My hats off to Tige for coming out with something that appears to be able to live up to its hype and produce some monster wakes. It's def great to see and I like it so far.

Last edited by xstarrider; 10-07-2013 at 7:12 AM.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-07-2013, 8:18 AM Reply   
^^ so true about the death of the garage friendly boat. I know there's a market for these monsters out there- I just don't understand it. The level of rider that you need to be to really USE the wake these machines generate is held by the very select few, and the REAL irony here is that those riders are usually young-like early 20's and can in NO way afford a boat like this- not that this little fact is going to stop them from purchasing.
Also - the gas, insurance and storage for this beast or the G 23- who is the target audience here??

As far as the look and feel of this boat- there's been a lot of comments about the interior being angular- I agree- and it's UGLY! the exterior is nice, but seriously, a boat this expensive ought to exude a high-end premium feel. It should be like getting into the interior of an Audi A8- this thing looks very utilitarian- again I ask- who's the audience here?? The 25 YO boarder-dude?
I guess I am getting too old for all of this.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       10-07-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5150 View Post
^^ so true about the death of the garage friendly boat. I know there's a market for these monsters out there- I just don't understand it. The level of rider that you need to be to really USE the wake these machines generate is held by the very select few, and the REAL irony here is that those riders are usually young-like early 20's and can in NO way afford a boat like this- not that this little fact is going to stop them from purchasing.
I like the big boats and have been waiting for this style boat for a long time. We boat on a few big lakes that can get real chopped up either from other large boats or from the wind it self. These monsters allow us to navigate those lakes much more comfortable and still wakeboard and surf etc.. when we get to one the coves we board in. The level of rider has nothing to do with it we all like a big wake weather or not I can use it the same way as Harley is irrelevant as long as we are having fun.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-07-2013, 10:47 AM Reply   
Nice pics of the wake Robert! Thanks for sharing with us. Tige was obviously very confident in this boat to take the first one out of the mold, assemble it AND take it straight to a competition to pull. Congrats to Tige, they pulled it off!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-07-2013, 10:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5150 View Post
Also - the gas, insurance and storage for this beast or the G 23- who is the target audience here??

As far as the look and feel of this boat- there's been a lot of comments about the interior being angular- I agree- and it's UGLY! the exterior is nice, but seriously, a boat this expensive ought to exude a high-end premium feel. It should be like getting into the interior of an Audi A8- this thing looks very utilitarian- again I ask- who's the audience here?? The 25 YO boarder-dude?
I guess I am getting too old for all of this.

Will, you need to come out with me and ride...it'll make you feel young again, I guarantee
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-07-2013, 11:05 AM Reply   
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I don't like these boats and yes they make a lot of sense on BIG water.

Jay, I want to see your G23 in action first hand, I have heard nothing but great things about it- but you're one rider, as is Colin, who can really make something of that wake.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-07-2013, 5:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Did anyone else see the podium for this event? I could see Dean and Rathy in the top 3, but Adam Errington? Doubt it was a coincidence that three tige athletes took the top spots. Wake looks on point though!
If you look at the finals roster the only non Tige entry was Austin Hair. I wonder if the other manufacturers told their riders not to compete?
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-07-2013, 6:56 PM Reply   
All these boats are just following the trends of American car consumers/the trend of bigger SUV's. Just keep building them bigger so you can put more and more **** in them and ignore plenty of previous practical ideas.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-08-2013, 4:47 AM Reply   
All you guys whining about how big these boats are getting are hilarious! Are you the same people that whined about how big suvs got it also? Please remember that almost everyone of these manufactures still build a 20ft wakeboat as well! Heck the big three still build tiny little direct drive slalom boats I think!
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-08-2013, 7:03 AM Reply   
Comparisons to cars are completely irrelevant. When an Escalade drives by a Prius on a small road, nothing happens. When a loaded up G, X-Star, or Apex drives by a 20 foot fishing boat on a small lake, the fishing boat gets rocked like crazy. Oh yeah, and then the wakes crash into the dock of the millionaire's lakeside retreat. News flash: there are a lot more fishermen than wakeboarders, and they have substantial clout with those who regulate our waterways. Second news flash: millionaire's are pretty good at protecting their property.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-08-2013, 7:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywakeboarder View Post
Comparisons to cars are completely irrelevant. When an Escalade drives by a Prius on a small road, nothing happens. When a loaded up G, X-Star, or Apex drives by a 20 foot fishing boat on a small lake, the fishing boat gets rocked like crazy. Oh yeah, and then the wakes crash into the dock of the millionaire's lakeside retreat. News flash: there are a lot more fishermen than wakeboarders, and they have substantial clout with those who regulate our waterways. Second news flash: millionaire's are pretty good at protecting their property.
3rd news flash. You practically have to be a millionaire to own a G
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       10-09-2013, 5:12 AM Reply   
The wake definitely looks legit. I assume they were running just the factory ballast right?

Does anyone know what happened to Phil and Harley? They both submitted videos to My Wake but I didn't see or hear anything about them competing.
Old     (fatchance720)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-09-2013, 5:48 AM Reply   
What is the msrp loaded?