Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Tou...125659808.html

Nothing like a 13 year old saying how it's online and it's pretty easy, but at least it's a step I guess. I like the suggestion that all new boat registrants should take it.
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-22-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
I still dont understand how there isnt a separate license required to operate a boat (at least out here in AZ). Probably expense to set it up and manage it...
It's insane some of the things I've seen on the water.
I dont know if it's 2 years or 20 years away, but I strongly think it will eventually happen. I say this is at least a small step in the right direction.
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-22-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
We have that here in BC.. It is such a joke. Someone can study the book, then do an online test (and cheat) and is then issued an operator's licence. They never even have to set foot in a boat. Thankfully once you get it, it's good for life.

It may give people a bit of basic boating knowledge, but I feel that it also instills a level of confidence into people that have never operated a boat before.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-22-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
Definitely a step in the right direction.
Old     (V237TX_Nate)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-22-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
I thought this had been required for the last several years.... I actually broke down and took it earlier this year, since I was born after 1983. Basically its a joke, most of stuff didn't apply to my type of boating (since I basically go out just to board). Also I have been pulled over numerous times by game wardens and police and no one has ever asked to see my "liscense" (you get a little card from TXPWD with your name on it). I think that everyone should be requried to have a liscense and should have to pass a driving test similiar to what they do at the DMV. I can't count the number of times I have had to react quickly to aviod idiots out on the water.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2011, 12:50 PM Reply   
I believe it takes effect this Sept. 1
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
aka Labor Day weekend..... Now that'll be a money maker from unknowing boaters
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       07-22-2011, 3:53 PM Reply   
Oregon requires a boating license and there are no less idiots than Texas..
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-22-2011, 3:57 PM Reply   
I agree. The test here in WA, as they are phasing in operators licenses, is a joke. Yes you can cheat (online versions). Just look up the answers on another site while you take the test.
No it won't make you a better boater. Sure it has some of the requiste standing vessel/right of way questions and a few other boating etiquette questions, but being a coastal state there's alot of navigational questions as well. I didn't read thru the entire course befrore taking the test and I missed passing by 1 question the first time without cheating.
2nd time I passed no problem but had to look up a few open water nav questions like even/odd number/can bouys in ocean channels/shipping lanes.
Missed a bunch of open water nav questions and dumb ones like "What is the best way to roll over a flipped PWC?"
I answered from either side....WRONG. Apparently they have a sticker on the BOTTOM of the hull that says which direction to roll it! Last PWC I had had no stickers!
Missed another one "What are the effects of alchohol on the water vs. on land?"
I answered the same, no diff.....WRONG. Apparently alchohol has a far greater effect on a person in a boat than on the beach! That's a bullch!t question. Your blood alky level is no higher for the same consumption if you're standing on the boat ramp or in the boat!

Bottom line, it's a step in the right direction, but like cars there really needs to be a driving test. You should be able to back a trailer around a corner, have your boat off the trailer and away form the dock in well under 5min and then pass an actual boat driving test with hazards present (other boaters, water hazards, keep from filling the boat up in rough water, pull riders, etc).

That would be waaaay difficult and costly as well and I for one am not for having to do all that crap to tbe able to take my boat to the lake.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-22-2011, 7:54 PM Reply   
I strongly disagree with a boating license requirement. Just another way for government to infringe on our day to day lives. People have drivers licenses and still drive like idiots.