Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-02-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
We are planning on taking a family vacation out west this summer. Part of the time we are going to base out of Flagstaff to see some sites.

Would appreciate any hotel recommendations. Also, if anyone has any suggestions of things to see or do that would be great!

Ours kids are 19 & 16. We're doing the Grand Canyon, the Meteor Crater, petrified forest and some indian museums.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-02-2010, 12:03 PM Reply   
You will be 2 hours from Lake Powell- enough said.
Old    alanp            02-02-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
sedona is a MUST. pobably an hour +/- from flag. good hiking and or sight seeing.grand canyon is good if you guys havent done it but i think sedona offers alot more to do and provides a more drastic contrast.

i stayed at the hotel little america if i remember correctly. its a couple miles to downtown flag. i thought it was a nice little hotel, more quaint and unique than a best western style hotel. not sure if youre looking for hotels or resorts tho.

phoenix is 2 1/2 hours away. 5th largest city in america. very nice place and you can find just about anything there but it may be lacking in historic sights. the drive down from flag is a great though cause you will see more saguaro cacti than you even knew existed, right on the side of the highway. there is great dining in pnix too so it may be worth to go down for just an evening to dine. if you guys are golfers you can play 200-300 dollar pga courses for 30-50 bucks in the summer, due to the heat. camelback mountian is a great hike too right in the middle of this city if you guys like climbing, just go early(heat).

you could easily hook up a ride on one of the boats if you guys wanted to ride too just check the 3rd section there is usually a large thread for pnix
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-02-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
2 hrs from powell. second that
Old     (bsebllhglyknit)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-02-2010, 9:13 PM Reply   
Go see the LAVA RIVER CAVE..... One of the coolest things I have ever done. Or Grand FALLS... I think thats what its called. Its all up in the Flagstaff area
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       02-02-2010, 9:50 PM Reply   
Kinda lame but it is beautiful, check Snow Bowl and take a lift ride to the top and back.
There are also a ton of india ruins if your into that, some cliff dwellings etc, Walnut Canyon national park, and Montezuma Castle National Monument is cool there are a few others, google it because all the sites escape me at the moment.
Meteor crator is awesome.
2nd Sedona really a nice drive. If you like to hike check west fork of oak creek canyon outside of Sedona really a great hike. Prepare to hike in water.
Grand falls is cool.
Zion National park is 3 hours away but well worth the drive.
If you go to powell take a tour of Navajo canyon. Super cool.
2nd the lava tubes.
If you got to the Grand Canyon check out the Imax theater there.
If I think of any others I'll post up.
PM me with any q's I grew up there and am pretty familiar with all the sites.
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-03-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! We are going to check out some of the places that you all mentioned.

We are working on a plan....Thinking we are going to stay a night or two in Vegas, drive to Flagstaff or on up to Cameron and stay a night go to G. Canyon. Then head back down to Sedona to site see.

We live in Virginia and have never been out west. So we want to see as much as we can while there.
Old    mcbean7            02-03-2010, 8:47 PM Reply   
Lake Havasu is another place to check out. It should be about 4 hours from Flagstaff or Las Vegas.
Here's another vote for Lake Powell. Rent a boat for the day. The scenery is amazing.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       02-03-2010, 9:45 PM Reply   
Uh I'd go ahead and skip staying in Cameron. Unless its really changed since I've been there.
You will be disapointed. Its just a pitstop on the reservation.
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-04-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
Thanks, Newty. Yeah, that one is up in the air for us. Can tell the only thing there is trading post & lodge.

We do keep looking at Lake Powell, but not sure if boat rental is within our budget....We live on a lake here in VA, so boating isn't high on our priority list. But our daughter is really pushing for Powell. Thought about a dinner cruise for a few hours if nothing else. Have any of you guys ever done that?

Also, we are considering going south to Jerome to the Jerome Grand Hotel near Sadona for one night and check out the ghost scene for the fun of it. Does anyone have any thoughts on that hotel?

Course w/all the running around we'll be doing, a day on the lake may be just what the doctor ordered!:-)
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-04-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
mom you're wrong, boating IS high on our priority list ;)
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-04-2010, 6:34 PM Reply   
Depends on whose list you are reading.....and whose $$$ you are spending.....;)
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       02-04-2010, 6:41 PM Reply   
There are tour boats as well as a big sternwheeler that you can do cruises on, there at Powell. There is also a nice Hotel down on the water where you can stay.
If you are going to Powell def need to see Navajo canyon.