Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-23-2013, 6:11 PM Reply   
I'm planning a Round the World trip for next Spring and really hope to incorporate wakeboarding into it. I was hoping WW might be able to help. I'd love to help out at a wakeboard camp somewhere outside the US for a few days, weeks, or even a month for a place to stay and maybe a few wakeboard sets.

I have 4+ years of coaching experience working at the biggest ski/wakeboard camp in the world (cobleskischool.com) and doing some private lessons as well. As many of you know, I'm no pro rider myself-but I can coach people through base inverts and 540s no problem and have learned from some of the best. I'd also be down to drive, film, clean boats, or whatever. I've been driving boats for as long as I can remember and have hundreds if not thousands of hours driving riders behind countless different boats with zero accidents. I'm good with iMovie and Final Cut Express and can whip up some pretty legit videos for you. Basically I'm interested in any way I can help out you or your camp to be able to travel to cool places for a little longer.

My tentative route is Argentina, Brazil, Los Angeles, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Hungary, Serbia, Slovakia, Austria, Czech Republic, Germany, but I'm open to other places. Thanks in advance!
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-23-2013, 8:14 PM Reply   
I just wanted to vouch for Adam as he has been a true ambassador and leader in collegiate wake. Best Wishes Adam
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-23-2013, 11:24 PM Reply   
Contact Ki barker from mia for your NZ leg: http://www.m-i-a.co.nz/

I have a holiday place at mango (where mia is based) and would be happy to put you up for a few weeks over our summer
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-24-2013, 3:46 AM Reply   
Adam - make sure you take Ralph up on his offer. He has a great place right by a magic lake and ride spot.

You would also be welcome to come stay and ride with us for a couple weeks
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-24-2013, 4:58 AM Reply   
Wow thanks for the quick responses! I'll definitely look into mia and contact them.

And thanks for the reference Chris!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-24-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
Here's a little bit of an interview and some riding in case you want a face/voice to go with the text.

http://vimeo.com/65762386#t=28m12s

PS He finally got a haircut. Thankfully... Haha
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-28-2013, 7:09 PM Reply   
Anyone know wakeboarders in South America? I'd love to test my Spanish/Portuguese skills in the wakeboard world!
Old     (CRW)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-28-2013, 10:07 PM Reply   
trying to send u a private message. I have no idea how
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-29-2013, 5:40 PM Reply   
Feel free to email me at adamvandyke97@gmail.com if that's easier! Thanks
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-29-2013, 6:13 PM Reply   
And the hole shot for the friendliest international wakeboarding nation goes to.....New Zealand
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-30-2013, 7:49 PM Reply   
Just looked up NZ bus fares since I was only planning on connecting through Auckland en route to the South Island...apparently you can get 1$ bus fares to lots of places! (if you book early) That's awesome, so maybe I will be able to make it up to Ralph and Bevan's area!

One big detail I realize I left out is that I won't have my board with me (way too expensive to bring on this many flights) so any riding will be via rentals or kind souls. I'll ride a 2x6 with sandals strapped on it if I have to, just getting to ride in any of these places is good enough for me!

Thanks to everyone who has reached out so far, I really appreciate it
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       08-10-2013, 8:54 PM Reply   
Hey Adam, if you're interested in spending some time in Costa Rica hit me up! Got a school/camp and a (humble) guesthouse here, would be fun to hook up!
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-11-2013, 4:44 AM Reply   
Adam,
I have no school or something like that, but can get you out on a boat if you would like. Also know some cables in the Netherlands.

Feel free to join.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-13-2013, 4:49 AM Reply   
Adam...check it

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799518
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-26-2013, 10:40 AM Reply   
Thanks for the responses everyone-I ended up booking my plane tickets a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I couldn't make it to all of these great spots but I appreciate everyone reaching out. Here is what the trip looks like:

Total trip length: 100 days
-Leave from Miami on 2/4/14
-2.5 weeks just outside Buenos Aires living on a river (wakeboarding)
-A few days in Buenos Aires
-1 or 2 nights at Iguazu Falls
-Rio de Janeiro for Carnaval+ a few extra days
-Los Angeles for an extended layover to see my good friend for 2 days
-South Island NZ for 2 weeks (Will probably wakeboard)
-Brisbane/Toowoomba area for 10 days (will probably wakeboard)
-Singapore for a few days
-Kuala Lumpur for a few days
-Islands of Thailand for 3 weeks (probably will do about 1 week on Ko Lanta and Ko Phi Phi, then a few days in Phuket on the way out) (will probably wakeboard)
-Bangkok for a few nights
-Fly into Zagreb Croatia. Probably will go straight to Zadar/Pag area for several days for the beaches
-A few days in each of Budapest, Vienna, Bratislava, Prague, and Berlin or wherever we decide sounds enticing (might ride cable somewhere or make it over to laptom's area?)
-Fly from Berlin back to Washington DC on 5/14/14

Can't wait!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-26-2013, 11:14 AM Reply   
TRIP OF A LIFETIME!!! Man, I hope you keep us updated with pics during the travels, that will be an amazing trip! Best of luck. I'd offer you a place to stay and ride in Canada but during those months, the water is a little cold and honestly, those are the times everyone is trying to get out of Canada.
Old     (aljazp)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-26-2013, 11:18 AM Reply   
There is a cable on island Pag in Croatia if u need any more info about croatia/slovenia feel free to ask or just send me pm..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-29-2013, 9:55 AM Reply   
Only 1 month away now, can't wait! Looks like I'll be spending about 5 days in Miami now so maybe I'll make it to Rixen or ride boat somewhere before I leave the US.

Anyone have any good gift ideas? I'm trying to think of a good gift for my Argentine hosts. I was thinking a bottle of small batch US whiskey, but apparently the parents of the family don't really drink much. Any ideas come to mind?