Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-18-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
I am 6'3" around 225. im lookin to upgrade to a better board after going to LSF and havin everyone say i wasnt that bad at surfing. I currently ride a obrien alias 5.0. its ok i guess. i have only ridden it and a ronix long board. I believe mine is a skim style. i like the looseness but would like a little more speed. any suggestions?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-18-2009, 3:05 PM Reply   
Shred stixx ja mako rules for my heavy buddies! Tons of speed and drive for the heavier guys. There is a used one for sale in the board classified section on this site. Also I know walker can make boards for the 220 plus and also I'm sure there are a number of other ones I am missing.
Old     (ds3)      Join Date: Jun 2008       05-18-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
I second the Shred Ja Mako. Good board.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-18-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
I really wanna try a Ja Mako I've heard nothing but good things. I ride a TWP Comp X 5.0 and I'm 6'1" 245lbs it's really fun and fast down the line I put some Scimitars on it and it's loose and fast. If I run it with Black stix it's super fast but harder to break loose. http://www.thewalkerproject.com/wake-surfing/wake-surf-boards/composite-x/
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-19-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
Im 190 and have the JaMako, really like and it is rated for bigger riders but i dont know, it is fairly easy to get the nose under for me. I also got the TWP Comp 4.5 and love this board, well everyone loves that board! It is a must have! I have the 5.0 too but is too floaty for me. Probably is GREAT for bigger guys than me. I need like a Comp 4.7, i guess james would make me one if i wanted. Sure would like to try one first!!
In other works Nick these guys are on the money! try the JaMako and Comp 5.0 they are more surfy than skim but most skimers are in the 140lb and below range...just sayin'
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-19-2009, 7:33 AM Reply   
Mike makes em not James heck they're not even related and they do a 4'8" now.
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-19-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
Yeah Mike, dowt! anyway i just saw that 5.8 from your link, might that to that baby a try, has anyone been on one? how does it compare to the 4.5?
Old     (lsukuntryboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-19-2009, 12:34 PM Reply   
so is my alias a skim style? or surf style. its this one.

http://www.obrien.com/products_detail.asp?Prod_id=2090102

i just wanna have a board thats good for airs and 360s.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-19-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
The Walker Project does make a Comp X 4.8 It is a scaled down version of the 5.0 I have had beg/ inter riders at 220 that can ride this board with no problem.
Old     (donnieb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-19-2009, 10:27 PM Reply   
I've never tried the ja mako mentioned in an earlier post, but I've heard great things about that board. I think you can't go wrong with the IS Blue Lake. A great all round board and I have a friend that weighs around 230 and he does super on that board. I also love the Red Woody - it's a bigger board (and I only weigh 190), but its a lot of fun and it's really fast. I don't know about airs/360s on the Woody, but it's fun. Best advise is to get out and as many boards as you can (although in practice that's sometimes hard to do).