Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bbnight3)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-18-2014, 2:47 PM Reply   
Looking to buy a new board and thinking very seriously about the Slingshots. My wife and I ride the same board (currently a hyperlite state 140cm), same height and shoe size but I'm ~165 and she's about 125lbs. We ride almost exclusively boat (still waiting for a cable park to open up). I currently have an ankle sprain but my wife recently got to try out a Slingshot Oli and really liked it. Actually I did try it out but I couldn't really do anything due to the ankle so I really didn't form an opinion. The board we tried was too small for either of us though (132cm). She's interested in getting a slightly smaller board and liked the continuous rocker on the Oli. I feel like it I'm used to the 3 stage rocker on the State and not sure if I'd want a continuous rocker, nor am I sure if I should get a smaller board size. I probably wouldnt care about the rocker, don't know though about the size. I never thought my state 140 was too big (doing 3s now).

So... four parts to this post:
1) what would you do about board size in my situation? I think if I found a 138 it would fit both of us well enough... or should we stick with 140 and she gets softer landings and more flotation while it's a bit harder to swing and slightly more cumbersome?

2) How is the 3 stage rocker on the Lyman? Do some of the 'negatives' such as needing precise pop timing and harder landings due to a flat surface get 'cancelled' by the fact that it's a flex board? Is it still as fun as the Oli felt?

3) I think she may like the Oli better but I've been looking at the Lyman. I understand the Lyman is stiffer than the Oli and has the 3 stage rocker rather than the continuous. The things she liked about the Oli (and that I think I'd like if I could actually jump) is that it had a soft landing, it gave her a consistent jump off of the wake, it was really fun to do surface tricks, and it was really fun to ollie. The things that were quite different for both of us is that edging was just plain different on that board than the State, but nothing we can't get used to. Is the Lyman similar in the attributes that we liked from the Oli? What other attributes between the two should we be considering?

4) If we're up in the air between an Oli and a Lyman, is there something else we should be looking at (slingshot or other brands)?

Note: we're unable to test all the right sizes and types of these boards unfortunately so we might have to buy blind.

Last thing to consider: the Oli comes in 132, 136, and 140, so we'd be choosing between a 136 and 140 - probably the 140. However the Lyman comes in 138 and 142, so we'd get the 138 and it might be better for both of us?

Thoughts? Thanks!
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-18-2014, 5:15 PM Reply   
What are both of your size and weights?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-18-2014, 5:27 PM Reply   
Throw the Windsor in the mix. It seems like a good comprimise between the Oli and Lyman. I am guessing you are looking at only boards with the molded in channels?
Old     (bbnight3)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-18-2014, 5:32 PM Reply   
Me: 165lbs, 5'11"
Wife: 125lbs, 5'10"

I'm not stuck on anything in particular, just like the slingshot boards and the wife liked the Oli. Not enough $$ to buy two setups.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-18-2014, 5:42 PM Reply   
You're at the weight that you could ride a 137/138 pretty easily. That is the size I would get for both of yall. Some of the slingshot boards have molded in channels that will cause the board to grip more. Not excessively but more than the boards without. The Windsor is a subtle 3 stage rocker. I wouldn't get too hung up on the rocker though.
Old     (bbnight3)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-18-2014, 5:56 PM Reply   
Is the Windsor a good board behind the boat? SS marketing materials make it sound like a cable park board.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       08-18-2014, 6:35 PM Reply   
I can't comment on how it rides behind the boat. I have only rode the Choice/Response/Recoil/ and Lyman behind the boat. Can you go to a local shop and check the differences in flex? The Lyman is pretty stiff. I don't know how flexible the Oli is but I would imagine the Windsor is pretty similar.
Old     (bbnight3)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-20-2014, 11:53 PM Reply   
Decided to go with the 138 Lyman. Will let you know what we think sometime on the future.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-23-2014, 9:10 AM Reply   
Tim -

Just as an FYI, as Michael has gotten a Lyman, the Windsor is the same shape as the Slingshot Kine just with a much softer tip and tail, probably more towards the standard Slingshot flex pattern. Shape wise- it should work just fine behind the boat. James told me at the cable the other day that he rode it behind the boat and it was working just fine.

Considering it as my next boat board once my Kine goes. Great shape.
Old     (bbnight3)      Join Date: Dec 2013       09-09-2014, 8:32 AM Reply   
So just an update - I went with the 138 Lyman and have no complaints. This board is awesome! A lot of pop at the wake without it being too timing sensitive. It seems stiffer than other slingshot boards and has a sharp rail, but I've found so far that both of these attributes make it ride very aggressively, in a good way. While it is stiffer, it still has a soft landing. The size is good for both my wife and me. I find it small after riding the 140cm hyperlite, but I'm getting used to it. She could still probably use something more along the lines of a 136, but the landings are extra soft for her so she likes it.