Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-16-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
Has anyone tried this? Someone I know is asking if they could just pull the bindings and put grip tape on their old wakeboard to convert it to a wakeskate. I don't seen any issues, but I don't wakeskate.

Mario-
Old    Chaserwaser            06-16-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
Its not the same at all, the rockers and concaves on the bottom of a wakeskate are totally different and wakeskates are alot shorter.. My recommendation is just go out a buy a 100$ wakeskate
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-19-2010, 11:25 AM Reply   
A 142 wakeskate would be difficult to do anything on . Wakeskates are typically shorter, thicker, and a little wider. Also, as previously mentioned, the rocker and concave is pretty different
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-19-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
"Has anyone tried this?"

Get yourself a copy of "Retrospect."
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-21-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Yeah it's an old school way to make a skate. They used to sell FWT (Fresh Water Traction) pads that would screw into the binding inserts.... you could go back & forth from wakeboarding to wakeskating with the twist of a couple of screws. BUT wakeskating has progressed so far passed that stage....
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-19-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
YES, it was 1995 and the internet didn't exist
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-29-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
What would you recommend as a good entry level wakeskate? Something not too base but with some room to grow.
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-01-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
I'd say go with a cwb onset, or possibly an sst, maybe an Obscura, just redid an old hyperlite 118 myself, and pulled the foam of and replaced it with grip tape, works pretty well
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-09-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
Wasn't that in waterski magazine, LONG before anyone made wakeskates?
Old     (hmmm)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-05-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
yo Brian Wynn (quik876) did you really just recomend an onset or sst??? and obscura is a brand...

i say if you don't want too basic go with an obscura impulse, remote, oak, or byerly heritage, any wood basic concave will be great to start on,

as far as wakeboards used as wakeskates, they float too high in the water, and are too big, it makes turning akward, i learned how to wakeskate on one of hyperlites first, pretty much a 134 wakeboard with foam on top.. those were the days..