Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-26-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
How do I clear TSW2W. I mean I work on TS all the time and I get close but never make it. I'm getting frustrated...so any tips?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-27-2009, 5:38 AM Reply   
Hey Audrey - I will preface my comments with I got "OWNED" by TS @ Worlds! Liz is the absolute TS Queen, and I'm sure she will provide feedback.

I would recommend bringing the rope in as short as possible (without being in the rooster tail) & slow the boat down a couple of mph. It's amazing what that does for the mental barrier for TSW2W. From your video, I would say a) move the handle a bit more towards your front hip, as in left elbow in and right hand merely resting on the handle. (This helps fight the natural "un-wrapping" effect once airborne.) b) Lean "down" the rope harder at the trough and through "lift off". You are letting off your edge at the trough. Keep the handle low with both hands on and if you feel your hips are opening up in mid-air, just let go with your right hand and push the handle towards your rear with your left.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progression!

Liz - post a pic of your TS approach so that the handle position info. makes sense!
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-27-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
It is ALL about EDGE. HOLD YOUR EDGE ALL WAY THROUGH THE WAKE UNTIL YOU FEEL YOUR BOARD RELEASE FROM THE WAKE. My guess is you are using speed instead of edge. You do not need any speed to make it w2w just holding your edge. You can go super slow w2w by holding your edge instead of building speed. Slow down to go faster or further in this case. If you hold your edge up the wake it will pop you across instead of a speedy line drive. If you think you are holding your edge up the wake I will almost bet you $1000 you are not. Video tape then slo mo it and see where you are letting off.
Old     (goldilocks)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-02-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
Audrey, I have been working at clearing toeside ALL summer!!! I landed it several times last year and this year I've had such a problem and have been so frustrated... but FINALLY, in the last weeks I've kinda gotten it down again. The key thing that I do when I clear it all the way is holding the rope right against my butt (if i have it anywhere else I won't clear the wake) and then looking toward the wake rather than at the boat. Hope this helps.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-04-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
Yes, thank you for all your comments. I will try to keep handle closer to my buttcheck and stay on edge! Thanks a bunch....
Old     (polhamus)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-19-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
Ok I finally gave it a full effort, you really have to want to get all the way across. It takes more effort. And push the handle down. and dont let your shoulders turn towards the boat. That kept me going all the way across. Is that right Kat?
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-19-2009, 4:25 PM Reply   
I almost got it. Hit the 2nd wake a few times...getting closer!
Old     (brock_sampson)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-19-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
I have been after liz to post on this thread...
She is looking for some nice edging pics.
I will remind her that she needs to put in her 2 cents!

I have taught a bunch of people how to clear the wake toeside, and it is certainly the longest and most arduous of all the skills to teach it seems.

There are a million little kinks to work out, but so I would need to know what your issue is.

Do you feel like you are getting on edge, coming in as fast as you can go, yet barely getting air and not making all the way across?

Or is it a matter of not generating enough speed to get across... popping up in the air but landing short?
Old     (brock_sampson)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-19-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
The issue I have had to work out with every last one of the people I taught ts. to was the tendency to cut too hard early and back off late.

If you get on too aggressive an edge right off the bat, you will come off of edge at the wake, and get no pop.

Think of your toeside edge on a scale of 1 to 100, a 1 being riding flat with hardly any pressure on the rope, and a 100 as your hardest edge with intense pressure on the rope.
When you cut out away from the wake and level off preparing for the ts jump, the flat edge you are on is a 1.
you wait for the rope to tighten up, put the handle at your hips, slightly bend your knees, look back at the wake, and let the boat start pulling you back in.
lean down the rope, and begin to increase your edge SLOWLY. if you begin the the cut properly, it will feel insanely slow.
Continue to build the edge (and speed) as you come into the wake, all the way through the top.
at the wake, that is when your edge should be at 100.
You do that, and you will just sail right across the wake easy as can be.

The most important point to take from this is that your edge should be a steady 1 to 100. 1/4 of the way in you should be at 25, 1/2 way in at 50, 3/4 in at 75, 100 at the wake.
Never begin the cut hard and back off- that will pull you out of position and flatten the board on the water, killing your pop.
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-19-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
I almost cleared TS by landing on the 2nd wake. I found that if I am controlled (take it slow); then I keep my edge and then almost clear it. But when I rush it, I barely get there...so I think I just need to control myself, stay on edge to the end of the wake and then lock knees, fly and land on the other side.

Thanks for your tips.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-20-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
hey audrey, seeing as you're getting so close, it might be worth shortening the rope a little bit, just until you get your technique more consistent. sounds like you're almost there though!
i find i can only land ts if i keep both hands on the handle for the landing, and the handle low. as soon as i let one hand off i fall back on my ass when i land.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-20-2009, 3:35 PM Reply   
Yes, Kim...keep that handle low! I will say that keeping the handle close to the forward hip with elbow bent tremendously reduced the boat forcing me to open up after "take off"! As Brock said, hardest "lean" down the rope should be strongest at trough to lift off!