Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ADahlin)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-10-2015, 12:23 PM Reply   
I'm looking for a new board for this summer. I don't have a whole lot of experience with slingshot, as I've only ever ridden my liquid force watson and BOB. I only ride behind our boat and I have a good bag of tricks with a couple of inverts and spins. But as much as I love my BOB, slingshot is looking pretty attractive. I'm looking for a legit board that will fit these specs. Anybody have any tips on slingshot boards?
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-10-2015, 12:51 PM Reply   
Slingshot has a bunch of boat specific boards. Blue pill, Recoil, Resonse, Choice, Nomad. As well as a few crossover cable/boat boards, the Oli and Whip.

If you're looking for something on the stiffer side like the BOB/Watson, you're probably going to want to lean towards the Blue Pill, which is Scott Stewart's pro model.

Recoil, Response and Oli are going to have medium flex patterns.

Whip is a medium flex pattern but it's soft in the tip and tail for pressing park features.

Choice is a Soft Flex.

Nomad is Medium-Soft, but it's also an oversized deck that comes in 150/155/160 sizes.

So there you have it, a crash course in the boat board lineup. Based on the Rocker pattern that you prefer, I think there is something in the lineup for everyone.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-10-2015, 5:05 PM Reply   
/thread

Basically his response is spot on. Good luck with your purchase.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-11-2015, 5:29 PM Reply   
And with deals like these... how could you not lol
http://blemboard.com/collections/wakeboards
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-23-2015, 10:13 AM Reply   
We've been riding slingshot exclusively since 2009, best stuff out there for sure. If you ride boat specifically I would look at the Blue Pill, Recoil, Oli and Response. I recently picked up a Blue Pill/RAD combo and got my younger brother an Oli/RAD combo. It amazes me the level of quality in this stuff. I've ridden pretty much everything out there and nothing can pull me away from slingshot. It's also cool to see how high the quality was in 2009 (better than most today) and where they are now, truly the highest end gear around.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-24-2015, 4:09 PM Reply   
Logan is right on. I've been riding Slingshot since the 2012 season when I bought both a Response and a Recoil sight unseen and no demos. I was immediately impressed with the ride and the quality of the boards. I used to break an LF board consistently every summer, at least one, sometimes two. I had one fast track blowout on a SS board, after two full seasons of hard riding both boat and cable on my 2012 response. Super impressed with the durability of the boards and their bindings have come light years since the Drivers back in 2009. I'm not sure I can be swayed away either.

The boards don't really have that different of features/shapes but you would be suprised how much the subtle differences can make. The Response and Recoil ride completely different when the only differences really are 3-stage vs continuous, square tip/tail vs diamond, and the Recoil is also about an inch or so wider (which I thought made it harder to roll over and set on edge than the Response).
I have not ridden the Reflex or any of the Pro-Series boards.
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-25-2015, 3:56 PM Reply   
I use to be on a Watson Classic and now I'm on a 2014 Recoil.

I feel like it is a little looser on the water, has a bit more pop, and has softer on the landings.

I've been really happy with it. Just wish Slingshot kept the Recoil as a boat/cable board instead of boat only board...
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2015, 12:35 PM Reply   
Jason the Recoil still can be a cable board.
They haven't changed anything, still the same board, they've just categorized them a little bit differently this year for some reason. The boards are versatile enough to really work in any application, with a few exceptions... maybe you don't want to take the choice to the park cause it doesn't have a slider base and the whip / terrain / windsor might not be so good on the wake cause they are so flexy. I think all the other boards can pretty much pull double duty, I wouldn't let their categorization system keep you from riding the Recoil at the park.

So they did introduce a new base material in 2014, the "evershred" or ES base. So I guess it's possible this year (2015) that they took the ES base of the "Boat" category boards. But the previous "durabase" was also very good at the park and in my opinion made the boards a bit lighter. I have had 2012, 2013, and 2014 Responses and feel like the 2014 model (with the new ES base) is heavier / stiffer than the previous two years. I'm just speculating here, but I would call Kyle at Slingshot's rider hotline and he'll give you the full scoop.

In any case, the Recoil should be a good park board and I wouldn't hesitate to take it there just cause SS calls it a "boat" board now.
Old     (Medium)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-26-2015, 3:49 PM Reply   
I was under the impression that the 2015 recoil doesn't have a rail friendly base, which is why I got the 2014 Recoil, which did still have the rail friendly base.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2015, 10:23 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure they just took off the ES base and went back to the durabase on the ones they're calling "boat" boards for 2015. The Durabase was on all the 2012/2013 boards, evershred was new for 2014 and was a new base material that year for all the boards. The durabase that was used on the 12-13 models is extremely durable. The ES was supposed to be an improvement but my experience was that the previous durabase was pretty darn good already. Could be wrong but I'm fairly certain this is correct. If so the 15 recoil, response, etc will have durabase and will still hd up very well to park riding.

Anyone confirm?
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       03-27-2015, 9:49 AM Reply   
Dustin is correct, the boards they labelled as the Boat series just have the old Dura Base (except the Choice which has no grind/base material which they call an Ultralite base).

For the most part every board in the Slinghsot lineup will pull double duty as a cable/boat board while some should only be one or the other.

Cable only:

Terrain - This board is a wet noodle with its flex pattern and is meant for extreme presses on rails. Might be fun behind a boat once or twice just to see what it would do but would not be a good boat board.

Boat only:

Choice - Has no type of grind or rail base and will get demolished at a Cable park.

Crossover:

Everything else. Seriously, everything else can go to the park just depends on the amount of Flex you like, your preferred outline/rocker shape and how you split your time between boat/cable.

Only a boat rider and you want a stiff riding board and you might ride cable once or twice to try it? Grab a Blue Pill

Mostly a cable rider looking for some nice flex on rails but want a deck that can still get you some air behind the boat? Reflex.

Kind of split 50/50 with what you do and want an all terrain ride? Whip or Oli.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-29-2015, 8:08 AM Reply   
I won't repeat what everyone has said above, they're spot on. However, I would like to comment on the durability and quality of the SS product.

I've ridden a decent number of board models over the years…
HL Motive
HL Premier
HL Parks
HL Roam
LF Lyman
Ronix Covin
Ronix Ronix Viva
Ronix Phoenix
and… most recently the 2012 Slingshot Kine.

All of these boards had some neat features that were enjoyable for what I was riding at the time, sometimes more boat, sometimes more cable, or in between.

That said… looking at that same list… before my Slingshot, I broke at least one of these board models every summer (Cheers to the Customer Service of these companies, who all, for the most part, stand behind their product) until early 2013 when I stepped onto Slingshot. Since then, I've put that board through the ringer - sliders, rails, terrain, kickers, boat… and it is still with me entering Summer 2015. I did dislocate my knee a year or so back which has forced me to reconsider my old booting kickers and shooting for the flats riding style for a less impactful wake to wake and slider/ rail/mini kicker approach in parks, but that only builds my optimism that I'll have my SS Kine for another several years as I don't want to ride anything else. I'm still a big Ronix fan and recommend their product, love what they're doing with the technology, however, from my own experience, I found, by far, the most value in my Slingshot product. And the flex is fun and versatile

They take a beating. That same trick sent my new, same summer, Phoenix to the wakeboard bone yard… the Slingshot had taken dozens and dozens of those over the years and hasn't flinched.
Attached Images

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       03-29-2015, 11:17 AM Reply   
Love the product. Unfortunately have to retire my 2012 kine as the track is starting to pull at the end. The result of the fall that took my ACL/Meniscus...
Fun.

Looking at a recoil or perhaps CTRL the line( a more direct replacement for the kine IMO), from blemboard because why pay the extra prices.
Can't go wrong with a slingshot have been completely pleased with mine. They do take a bit of getting used to when riding wake though. just have to adjust timing a bit.
Old     (woody_tobius_jr)      Join Date: Aug 2014       03-29-2015, 5:01 PM Reply   
I'm really happy with my recoil, and my daughter is on a response. Really happy with both
Old     (bruh)      Join Date: Jan 2015       05-31-2015, 7:00 PM Reply   
has anyone felt that the evershred base is either super slippery or really sticky on rails? obviously it's gonna be sticky if the rail is dry and slippery when the rail is wet, but I feel like it's more sticky and slippery than other brands like liquid force.
Old     (old_fat_guy)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-08-2015, 7:57 AM Reply   
I'll preface this by saying I'm not an expert boarder by a longshot. That said, I bought a SS Nomad this winter and I can say that everyone that I ride with loves this board. I can only ride every other week and on the weeks it's not on my boat my friends are fighting over who gets to borrow it. It's a really unique ride and is lots of fun for all skill levels from what I've seen. You can get insane pop from it and it butters like nothing else. I also have found the quality to be impressive.
Old     (slidin_out)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-08-2015, 8:29 AM Reply   
Rode my first SS board Friday. Rode a friend's Kine and it was night and day difference on the landings. My board is a HL Marek Nova core. It was smooth as butta landing out in the flats. I basically quit hitting the flats on my Marek because it was too rough on the knees and back. Now that could be bad form but from one set on mine to the next set on the Kine it was very noticeable. Felt like the pop was a little better too. They don't tend to track as well off edge because of slick bottom and small fins but after a few minutes I was used to it and no longer noticed it. Also you can generally pull off about any landing as long as you hang on. Board might slide around a little on a sketchy landing but it seemed easier to ride away from it on the SS board. Will be getting a SS board shortly. Have exclusively ridden HL for years and tend to stick with what I know but SS most likely gained another customer over the weekend.